Brian McFadden | Fashion Men | News

Irish Singer Brian McFadden: Straight Men Don't Wear Pink

Mcfadden

Irish singer Brian McFadden has demonstrated what a homophobe he is in a New Zealand radio interview. McFadden, formerly a singer with the Irish boyband Westlife, spouted off about the color pink:

"Saying pink is a form of red is the same as saying homosexual is a form of male....In the old days there was no such thing as gay. It was frowned upon, the church would burn you at the stake. Modern day, if you are not gay, a man should not be wearing pink, unless of course you're in the America's Cup and you're one of these pansies who walk around with Gant t-shirts with your collars up, adn you wear pink and you wear white trousers with those dirty brown slip-on shoes. Then you're just an idiot..."

Idiot.

McFadden's former bandmate, Mark Feehily, announced he was gay in 2005. Shortly thereafter, Feehily said he would marry his boyfriend, singer Kevin McDaid.

Listen to McFadden's full radio rant, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. This degree of fuckwittedness is actually fairly uncommon in Ireland, where he'll be jeered in the streets once this gets out.

Clearly McFadden is a dim bulb. He's only hurting himself.

Posted by: FASTLAD | Aug 19, 2008 8:59:30 AM

2. Um, the guy is in a boy band. How much gayer can one get? Methinks he doth protest too much.

Posted by: too boot | Aug 19, 2008 8:59:43 AM

3. Douchebaggery is an epidemic.

Posted by: Wes | Aug 19, 2008 9:09:46 AM

4. Who?

Posted by: The Milkman | Aug 19, 2008 9:21:56 AM

5. Sorry, who is this numpty?

It reminds me of a comment a friend made...gay men cant punch...so I punched him! Now I only have to look at him to make him run away.

Talk about stupid sterotypes.

Posted by: EvilEuropean | Aug 19, 2008 9:22:47 AM

6. Why are some straight men so afraid of colors?

Posted by: Rey | Aug 19, 2008 9:30:50 AM

7. Douchebaggery indeed. And what insecurity! It's hilarious to me how so many straight men hang on so desperately to these outdated, inaccurate "signifiers" of gayness. The color pink, a lisp, a limp wrist. Homer Simpson parodied this so well when he said "I like my beer cold, my TV loud, and my homosexuals flaming!" It's the flamingness that assures the straights that we, the gays, sit far far across a great chasm from them, shrilly advertising our flamboyance and otherness. It terrifies them that we may roam, undetected, and look just like...everyone else. Only hotter.

Posted by: LD | Aug 19, 2008 9:35:53 AM

8. What a douche!

Posted by: CitizenGeek | Aug 19, 2008 9:38:13 AM

9. McFadden is what we in America call a "gay Republican".

Posted by: John in Manhattan | Aug 19, 2008 9:55:51 AM

10. I *like* Westlife (OK, OK, I *like* boy bands - sue me! ;)

Anyway, they aren't missing anything by not having McFadden as a member.

Posted by: Jeffrey | Aug 19, 2008 9:56:37 AM

11. So what is it, exactly, that goes on down at "the viaduct(?)"???...

Posted by: nudel | Aug 19, 2008 10:15:31 AM

12. Saying pink is a form of red is the same as saying Gay is a form of male? And saying Bryan McFadden is a singer is like saying Mel Gibson enjoys fisting...

Posted by: Wirrrn | Aug 19, 2008 10:20:48 AM

13. Clarification: he calls them "ponces" not "pansies". What a dickhead.

Posted by: e. | Aug 19, 2008 10:37:38 AM

14. Irish = alcoholic you know.

Posted by: anon | Aug 19, 2008 10:42:17 AM

15. Issues.

Posted by: David D. | Aug 19, 2008 10:44:35 AM

16. A) Thankfully he's in NZ and no longer annoying us here in Ireland
    B) He is about as big a celebrity as Paris Hilton's chauffeur (who is probably actually photographed more frequently)
    C) Straight men in Ireland wear a lot of pink - it's one of our best colours
    D) ANON, it isn't funny to make jibes about alcoholism in Ireland; it wrecks a lot of lives - and it's a disease, not a moral choice

Posted by: McMan | Aug 19, 2008 11:10:25 AM

17. Yawn. An average-looking, color-blind guy from a band I've never heard of hates fags. That's OK. I hate average-looking, color-blind guys from bands I've never heard of. (I kid.) Is he from Ireland or Texas? I forgot....

Posted by: noteasilyoffended | Aug 19, 2008 11:10:48 AM

18. ANON = unhelpful racist gobshite you know.

Posted by: FASTLAD | Aug 19, 2008 11:15:20 AM

19. "It terrifies them that we may roam, undetected, and look just like...everyone else. Only hotter."

@ LD - Right on! =)

Posted by: JP | Aug 19, 2008 11:28:26 AM

20. Fuck him.

Posted by: bboy | Aug 19, 2008 11:34:08 AM

21. FASTLAD,

Yes, ANON's comment was as offensive as McFadden's, but what's interesting is the response of Towleroad commenters. ANON's is the only comment that attacks McFadden's nationality. If this were a black performer saying these things, his "blackness" would be an issue along with his homophobia. You know, "...those people ought to know better."

There will not be one black gay poster who will counter--attack McFadden's anti-gay comments by insulting his Irish nationality.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Aug 19, 2008 11:35:01 AM

22. Yeh ANON! Yer fekkin bstrd gnph! Hic! {burp: vomit}

Posted by: Liffey | Aug 19, 2008 11:37:24 AM

23. I'd love to know what a "heterosexual straight guy" is? I suppose he's a homosexual straight guy then.

Gee bag!

Posted by: ImeldaMarcos | Aug 19, 2008 11:52:49 AM

24. Lets keep it simple, he's basically attacking the people who buy his music. So lets hope the next cd becomes number 99 in the top 100.

Posted by: matt from california | Aug 19, 2008 12:13:00 PM

25. To McFadden: Grow the fuck up.

I hope his career is severely hurt by this.

Posted by: Arg | Aug 19, 2008 12:13:07 PM