Adult | John McCain | News | Republican Party

Manhunt Responds to Account Cancelation Over McCain Donation

I've updated yesterday's Manhunt/McCain post with an email from one of our readers who canceled his Manhunt account received from them. It reads:

Mccainbanner_2***
Dear Sir, We are always happy to hear from our members, thank you for taking the time to express your concerns. The subject that you have brought to our attention is a personal matter and is not representative of MANHUNT. We thank you for your understanding.

Sincerely, Team MANHUNT
***

It's not representative of Manhunt the company, of course. Only Manhunt's owner Jonathan Crutchley, who is raking in millions of dollars from gay men around the world and donating some of it to help elect a presidential candidate who opposes same-sex marriage and adoption by same-sex couples, supports "Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell," and opposes ENDA. He has also also said he doesn't know whether or not condoms prevent the spread of HIV.

(banner via the gist)

Comments

1. He commented my post on this subject last week, saying he is not a Republican but considers "liberal" an insult—he views himself as a Libertarian. Which John McCain most definitely is NOT.

Posted by: Matthew Rettenmund | Aug 14, 2008 11:34:11 AM

2. "Libertarians are Republicans who want to have sex and smoke dope." Tom Hartman. Not a bad world view, but completely impossible in our enormous and complex society. Now days it just means, "I got mine. Screw you."

Posted by: TroyTooner | Aug 14, 2008 11:45:53 AM

3. Manhunt will feel no pain from this...the members will not leave the site in protest. Sadly, nothing comes between gay men and their sex.

Posted by: Mike | Aug 14, 2008 11:49:27 AM

4. Matthew,

Am I to understand from your comment above that you are the "Roger" who on 8/9 pointed out in the comments of a Crutchley interview on OnlinePersonalsWatch.com that Crutchley is a McCain donor?

Shall I assume that you were Andy's source for this story? Although Andy's original post about this matter mentions prior reporting by HuffingtonPost, there is no link, and a search of that site returns no story with the word "Crutchley" in it.

I had been wondering who Andy's source was, since Manhunt competitor gay.com is an advertiser on this (and many, many other) prominent gay blog(s).

Posted by: 24play | Aug 14, 2008 11:49:45 AM

5. "Libertarian" is the political equivalent of "But I'm really bisexual." HE'S A RIGHT-WING REPUBLICAN -- PERIOD!!!!

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Aug 14, 2008 11:50:04 AM

6. Wow, all they want is a credit card number, and, can't even be man enough of a comapny to give a proper reply to a serious question and cancellation. Anyone who pays for a "membership" on that sex site is beyond a fool, since its no better than Dobson's Focus on the "family."

Posted by: Mike | Aug 14, 2008 11:50:21 AM

7. This whole situation has just been horrible.

Yesterday in the comments, I read that one guy and his boyfriend were canceling their Manhunt account. They're gonna have to have sex with each other now!

Posted by: crispy | Aug 14, 2008 11:51:02 AM

8. Lay off already. I was pilloried on these same pages last week for supporting McCain as a gay Dem. Does this community embrace political diversity or are many here just as close-minded as those on the Right? Newsflash: There's a far larger American agenda at stake than just DADT, ENDA and SSM. Go John Go.

Posted by: craig | Aug 14, 2008 11:53:22 AM

9. Let's not forget Don't Ask Don't Tell was a policy enacted by Clinton, Obama is against gay marriage and while Obama has said he wants to end Don't Ask Don't Tell he has far from committed to actually doing it, only saying that he thinks he could. I don't trust that Obama will actually go to bat over it for us.

Oh, and the reason gay marriage is banned on a federal level is the defense of Marriage Act, signed by Clinton.

Both parties have fucked us over and will continue to fuck us over. The democratic party says their our supporters but at the end of the day they really haven't been doing us any favors, they are responsible for two of the biggest discriminatory federal policies around, DOMA and Don't Ask, Don't tell.

Posted by: John | Aug 14, 2008 11:54:12 AM

10. It's a personal matter he brought to the pages of a national magazine.

Well, it's personal to me too. I take equality very, very personally and so does my money.

Posted by: Marco | Aug 14, 2008 11:54:29 AM

11. I have no problem with the Manhunt guy donating his money to a campaign.

I have no problem with his losing money from people who decide to cancel because of who he donated money to.

This is why as a business owner I don't donate money to campaigns but my time.

I do think that someone ending their account is fine but don't peer pressure people into not doing business with someone. Make your own statement don't make threats.

Posted by: Obamalet | Aug 14, 2008 11:55:13 AM

12. I for one am actually quite PROUD of the owner of Manhunt coming forward and NOT BEING AFRAID to express who he is supporting in this election... I mean it's not easy being a gay republican with all of you pathetic liberals raising your overly tanned faces and squeeling voices to make us ASSIMILATE to be just like you. If I could vote 1000 times I would vote for McCain and trust me there are PLENTY more of us fags and lesbians out there who will be doing just the same.

And FYI you can add Neil Patrick Harris to the list of gay republicans because he is going to Minnesota to throw his support at the Republican Convention (along with Maggie Gyllenhaal, that's right Jake's sister)...and methinks that good old Jake is a Republican too.

Republicans win elections because no one can force you one way or another when you are in that voting booth which way to pull the lever...

Posted by: Are you people all retarded? | Aug 14, 2008 11:58:05 AM

13. I cancelled instantly. THANK YOU Towleroad for keeping us informed. Clearly, Manhunt is COMPLETELY tied to Jonathan Crutchley. There is not even a shred of independence from his blood money to McCain. "Team MANHUNT" can dream on.

Maybe it's time shove a hankie in your back pocket, turn the computer hook-up sites off, go out the door and make a real connection.

If a dorky gay Republican can't see the idiocy of his convictions, he'll at least feel it in his thirty million dollar pocketbook.

Posted by: pickles | Aug 14, 2008 11:59:20 AM

14. John, thanks for the latest "Clinton did it" reminder. I know I couldn't get through another day without hearing how terrible Clinton and the Democrats are from those with the historical perspective of the lead character in Memento.

Posted by: Marco | Aug 14, 2008 12:01:59 PM

15. I just went into Manhunt, cancelled my acct, and changed my profile headline to "BOYCOTT MANHUNT"... I've had it with fags who enjoy the benefits of progressive politics and the gay rights movement while supporting anti-gay causes and politicians.

Posted by: Mike | Aug 14, 2008 12:02:03 PM

16. If NPH and Maggie Gyllenhaal are voting Repug, then they are just moronic (and NPH's "normal" comment not makes me even more angry).

I'm sorry but after the last 8 years of sheer neo-con idiocy, to vote for a man who wants more of the same is lunacy. Have you seen the state of the economy? The war in Iraq? The attacks to women's reproductive rights? The courting of the crazies in the Conservative Christian Right? McCain would be more of the same.

I have no illusions about Obama being the knight in shining armor for the gays--but he's come out and said that he shouldn't be. We shouldn't wait for a politician to tell us it's okay to fight for our equality. I bet you dollars to donuts McCain would never say such a thing. He'd make more patronizinga and offensive comments about adoption and marriage.

The truth of the matter is 8 years of Bush/Rove/Cheney have pretty much driven the spirit, morale, economy and reputation of this country into the ground. We need to make a 180 from all this. And McCain is more like a 5 degree turn.

No thank you.

Posted by: Alex | Aug 14, 2008 12:05:28 PM

17. ...and your point, "24play"?

In the first place, Andy does some pretty good work, researching his own stuff...

beyond that, this little fact has been gradually spreading, up to and beyond the publication of MJGross's article...

and finally, what does it matter who the "source" is, if the information is accurate? The source is irrelevant to the point.

Personally, I hope, fervently, that this becomes a movement with momentum; and that gay men actually DO take action in numbers that affect Manhunt. We won't make 'em go broke; but some high-visibility press and make 'em a tad uncomfortable (although, not for long; as troytooner says, they've got theirs...screw everyone else) AND it might have SOME impact on the McCain Campaign for the acceptance of the contribution and it's source to become more public....

Posted by: kile Ozier | Aug 14, 2008 12:05:39 PM

18. That's absolutely correct, CRAIG...
    there is a FAR greater agenda, here, beyond Gay issues...
    Unless, of course, one is GAY.
    if the first door is shut, all others become irrelevant.

Posted by: kile Ozier | Aug 14, 2008 12:09:00 PM

19. I think its wild that a supposed new media site takes a Fox News approach to journalism -- i.e. witch hunting against people in a Democracy with respect to how they choose to vote. I'm for Obama, but I totally respect the rights of Gay people to vote however they choose, without fear of retribution from the thought police. Totalitarianism knows no political affiliation, which is why the left has as much blood on its hands as the right when it comes to repression. Towleroad should get back to reporting, and leave the advocacy pseudo-journalism to joemygod et al.

Posted by: what a load towler | Aug 14, 2008 12:09:51 PM

20. that's right, CRAIG
    there is a far greater agenda than simply Gay Issues...
    Unless, of course, one is GAY...
    The first door being shut, all others become irrelevant.

Posted by: kile Ozier | Aug 14, 2008 12:12:02 PM

21. I just read that Gawker item and my apologies to NPH and Ms. Gyllenhaal. They are representing the Creative Coalition--a nonpartisan arts advocacy group. The kind of group that NEEDS to be at the GOP convention.

Posted by: Alex | Aug 14, 2008 12:13:26 PM

22. "...political diversity"

Gay people (just like black people) really can't afford such a thing.

No right-wing faction in the Democratic Party has the power to influence the choosing of federal judges--judges who can decide whether any state has the right to take away your rights because you are a homosexual. All Republican judicial appointments are "gifts" to the religious right in the GOP.

What does the Republican Party have to offer you that trumps your right to exist, and be treated as a full American citizen? Low taxes?

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Aug 14, 2008 12:16:53 PM

23. A ton and a hlaf of trolls in here today -- all of them with tanned faces and squealing voices.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Aug 14, 2008 12:17:57 PM

24. Derrick, to add to your point: Low taxes + increased spending is what's ruined our economy and overtaxed our military in the first place.

For all of Clinton's flaws (and I loved the man immensely until he pretty much made a giant fool of himself this year), he actually balanced the freakin' budget and the US was actually economically prosperous during that time.

Posted by: Alex | Aug 14, 2008 12:23:34 PM

25. I'm sure he knows, that drug addicted, lonely self-hating gay men are going to spend more time & money on his site than happy, married, accepted gay men would.
    It's greedy self interest.

What it boils down to is I don't want to support a person that is only successful because of the advancement of gay rights, and yet speaks of me, a liberal, with disgust while taking my money.

Posted by: DJSauvage | Aug 14, 2008 12:29:30 PM