Adult | John McCain | News | Republican Party

Manhunt Responds to Account Cancelation Over McCain Donation

I've updated yesterday's Manhunt/McCain post with an email from one of our readers who canceled his Manhunt account received from them. It reads:

Mccainbanner_2***
Dear Sir, We are always happy to hear from our members, thank you for taking the time to express your concerns. The subject that you have brought to our attention is a personal matter and is not representative of MANHUNT. We thank you for your understanding.

Sincerely, Team MANHUNT
***

It's not representative of Manhunt the company, of course. Only Manhunt's owner Jonathan Crutchley, who is raking in millions of dollars from gay men around the world and donating some of it to help elect a presidential candidate who opposes same-sex marriage and adoption by same-sex couples, supports "Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell," and opposes ENDA. He has also also said he doesn't know whether or not condoms prevent the spread of HIV.

(banner via the gist)

Comments

1. Nice try, "Retarded," but it seems as though NPH and Maggie are going to Minnesota for WORK:

"What is The Creative Coalition?
    The Creative Coalition is the premier nonprofit, nonpartisan social and political advocacy organization of the entertainment industry. Founded in 1989 by prominent figures in the creative community, including actors Alec Baldwin, Ron Silver, Christopher Reeve, Susan Sarandon, Blair Brown and Stephen Collins, TCC educates and mobilizes leaders in the arts community on issues of public importance, specifically in the areas of First Amendment rights, arts advocacy and public education."

So they may or may not be GOPers. Even if they are they don't come off as psychotic comme vous.

Posted by: Jason | Aug 14, 2008 12:30:59 PM

2. 24PLAY,

I don't know if I was Andy's 'source' for his post on this story yesterday or not. But at 8:26 AM Pacific Standard Time, I sent him the message that I have pasted below. I believe it was roughly an hour later that the story was posted on towleroad. I think Andy does *great* work keeping us informed about political matters, so I hope I was his source. But what really matters is that the story is now out in the blogosphere, and hopefully gay men everywhere will see fit to abandon Manhunt.

peterparker

****************************************************************

Andy...can you *please* report on this!? In April 2007 there was an interview with Jonathan Crutchley, one of the owners/founders of manhunt.net. On August 9, 2008, someone posted a comment following the article accusing him of being a Republican. And then he (apparently) replies, saying that he has donated to McCain and that, basically, national security is more important than gay rights.

I followed up by checking www.opensecrets.org and doing a donor lookup of jonathan crutchley. He donated $100 to Bob Dole in 1995 and $2,300 to McCain earlier this year. Here is the link to that information if you want it:

And here is the link to the interview:

Can you imagine what the mainstream press would do with the information that McCain had accepted the maximum individual campaign donation from the owner/founder of a gay sex hookup site?!

peterparker

Posted by: peterparker | Aug 14, 2008 12:31:06 PM

3. Guys, I think there is a very big difference between respecting another person's right to their political beliefs and financially enabling those persons. I, for one, think that the owners of Manhunt have every right to support whomever they feel inclined to. Equally, I have every right to NOT give any of my hard-earned money to them. Respect and enabling are two very different things. I cancelled my membership on Manhunt and sent an e-mail as to why.

Posted by: noteasilyoffended | Aug 14, 2008 12:31:23 PM

4. Well...I don't know what to say about the owners of Manhunt and the supporting of McCain. i don't think McCain is a bad man; however, it is scary the people who he may bring with him...the James Dobsons of the world. These are dangerous people because they truly believe above all else that their way is the only way and that is where we are no longer a free society.
    As far as the source of this article...I thought OUT magazine did a story about Manhunt recently. I have the magazine but haven't read it yet.
    I am just dumbfounded by the amount of money these guys are pulling in.
    the main problem i have with them is they seem more concerned with their money, which republicans tend to do, and less concerned with the rights of others even if it is those rights that have allowed them to make the good living that they have.
    the main problem I do have with McCain is I just feel that the group he represents could care less about everyone except the top 1% of the country...i.e. the Dick Chenneys of the world. George Bush is a boob, but let's not forget he didn't screw it all up on his own he has plenty of help...it is time to clean house and get some fresh blood in there!! :)

Posted by: paul | Aug 14, 2008 12:32:19 PM

5. Kile,

I agree that Andy does a fantastic job and has broken a number of important stories.

But it was fairly clear from the original post (from the unsubstantiated HuffingtonPost reference) that this story was the product of a tip that came over the transom. And since the story has the potential to do tremendous damage to Manhunt, a primary competitor of Towleroad advertiser gay.com, I was suspicious of where the information came from.

I never doubted Andy's motives or ethics. But with the timing of this and the Out piece, I wondered if maybe PlanetOut was making a concerted press play in order to damage Manhunt, and had somehow fed this story to Towleroad. I thought that was actually pretty unlikely, since the buffoons at PlanetOut can't seem to plan anything out. Still, I wondered.

If Matthew was the source, I may have my answer.

Posted by: 24play | Aug 14, 2008 12:36:35 PM

6. Just curious how long it will be before the McCain campaign returns the donation. Once the fundies get wind of this tainted donation it's bound to be refused.

Posted by: Michael | Aug 14, 2008 12:40:36 PM

7. Matthew,

Thank you for your reply.

BTW, I'm delighted that this has all come out and fully support a gay boycott of Manhunt. I really was just wondering if there was more to the timing of the events of the past week (Out story, PlanetOut threatened with NASDAQ delisting, Towleroad reporting on Crutchley's McCain donation) than mere coincidence. It is an unprecedented lot of bad press for Manhunt in a very short period of time.

Posted by: 24play | Aug 14, 2008 12:44:36 PM

8. maybe a more effective approach would be for a massive grassroots campaign to get everyone to cancel their paid premium-account... this way horny-homos can still connect and get their rocks off using the site but Crutchley wont be getting our money. the main difference between a paid account and a free account is that you can't embiggen the photos on a free account. i bet you could get more people to cancel their premium access rather than cancel their account and really make a dent in MH's bottom line. just a thought.

Posted by: habitat67 | Aug 14, 2008 12:45:32 PM

9. Oops!

Not Matthew. I mean, "Thank you, PeterParker, for supplying that background info." Duh.

Posted by: 24play | Aug 14, 2008 12:47:44 PM

10. Derrick: Thanks for the much needed sanity injection...it's clearly needed around here.

Repeating the "Clinton signed DOMA and DADT" canard is akin to saying that Woodrow Wilson sure didn't do much in the way of civil rights for blacks--it was a DIFFERENT FUCKING TIME. Should Clinton have done it? Probably not. Though as has been pointed out numerous times, the alternatives could have been much worse, and politics doesn't always travel in the linear fashion we'd like it to.

There was a time, back in the good old days, when one could use the "I'm a socially liberal but fiscally conservative Republican" line and actually find Republicans on the national level (i.e., Eisenhower, Rockefeller, Ford) for whom to vote. Those days are gone. The Modern Republican party is a wholly owned subsidiary of Christo-fascists who would love nothing better than to undo the civil-rights advances of the last century or so, and the Corporatocracy, who, like Mr. Crutchley, don't give a damn about anything beyond their own bottom line.

As for self-proclaimed "Independents", whose ignorance of contemporary political reality is eclipsed only by their egos, thanks so much for giving us 8 years of the worst president in US history. Fucktards.

Posted by: Acolyte | Aug 14, 2008 12:49:58 PM

11. Crispy:

You aren't a gay democrat you are a republican and most likely a racist who would rather vote against your own self interests to vote for a senile old homophobic white guy. Political diversity doesn't including voting for people who rather see you dead.

Posted by: Mark | Aug 14, 2008 12:51:53 PM

12. gay + republican = OXYMORON!!!

Posted by: Bading | Aug 14, 2008 12:52:37 PM

13. gay + republican = OXYMORON!!!

Posted by: Bading | Aug 14, 2008 12:52:46 PM

14. I fully support a person who decides to cancel their membership with Manhunt as a way to protest the profits going to the GOP. I just do not believe it would be widespread enough to make much difference.

Everyone should be aware that many companies give heavily to right wing causes directly related to anti-gay legislation, though the owners themselves are not gay. The owner of Urban Outfitters for one has been widely reported spending a huge amount on right wing causes. I do not see us ever giving up spending at our favorite discount store Target. The Dominoes Pizza founder spent his profits building an ultra right-wing Catholic town, yes a whole town, with a college and institutionalized anti-gay policies. I made a decision not to shop at Urban Outfitters, and certainly never bought a pizza from Dominoes, but I still shop at Target. So many more companies support the right, I am not even sure I could live comfortably without the power company, bank, Media conglomerates...

I write this knowing I indirectly give money to the causes I loath everyday. It would take a great deal of work to be an activist just in our daily spending. That said, I will also not support Manhunt, there is always Dudesnude, D-List, Adam4Adam, M4M...

Posted by: critifur | Aug 14, 2008 12:54:16 PM

15. Mark, honey. Commenters' names appear BELOW their comments. Lay off Crispy.

Posted by: 24play | Aug 14, 2008 1:00:05 PM

16. MARK!

You must be talking about some other CRISPY on some other blog.

Sometimes y'all get really confused about who is posting what around here.

Posted by: Derrick from PHilly | Aug 14, 2008 1:02:17 PM

17. HABITAT67,

that's a good idea but the only problem is that MH still makes money off of people just clicking onto the site. They go to their advertisers and demand big bucks because they can say, "X amount of people visit the site everyday." So the only way to hurt MH is to cease ALL use of it.

Posted by: Jason | Aug 14, 2008 1:03:36 PM

18. Mark, hon, we need to talk... I believe you meant to reply to Craig's comment. I am not only voting for Obama, but I would totally bone him.

Once again for the newbies... the name of the commenter appears BELOW their comment, not above.

Posted by: crispy | Aug 14, 2008 1:08:35 PM

19. I don't understand you people who insist that there are far larger issues at stake than marriage equality, the repeal of Don't Ask, Don't Tell, ENDA and the repeal of DOMA. If one does not have the same civil rights and the same opportunities as the rest of the population, how can ANYTHING possibly count as a greater issue? How can you justify supporting any cause other than doing everything in one's power to break down those barriers to civil rights and opportunities?

And if you think the Republicans are going to be the ones to make us equal in the eyes of the law, I assure you, they will not. In 2003, two Republicans crafted the language for and sponsored the current Federal Marriage Amendment. The lawmakers who voted in favor of the Federal Marriage Amendment were overwhelmingly Republican. And while Bill Clinton brought us Don't Ask, Don't Tell, the fact of the matter is that the man initially tried to end the ban on gays in the military entirely. It was one of the first things he did in office and he lost considerable political capital doing it. (Clinton was forced to abandon his effort to totally lift the ban on gays in the military after Congressional phone lines were swamped with calls the opposed his efforts.) As for ENDA, it was a bipartisan effort sponsored by two Republicans and two Democrats.

Posted by: peterparker | Aug 14, 2008 1:08:54 PM

20. Mark: I think you mean to criticize Craig, not Crispy!

I think the best tactic is to get this news to the right wing folks, so McCain will have to return the money.

As an insider posted yesterday, there are TWO owners, one Republican, one Democrat. Only one of them contributed to McCain. The other has contributed to Obama and Dems.

Posted by: Kevinvt | Aug 14, 2008 1:10:00 PM

21. What's with all the LCRs calling us names just because we don't like McCain? Yes, we all know Obama is a centrist who falls short on many issues - but where he's missing it by an inch, McCain's light years behind.

We need a President who can lead and command, but we also need one who will not veto every bill that is beneficial to LGBT projects, children's health care, minorities, etc. And that is what McCain would do. Veto, veto, veto, then add GOP judges to every court to make certain the status quo remains.

Stop using liberal as an insult - it isn't one. And the words retard/retarded are really offensive, so please lay off using those too. Cheers!

Posted by: SexyBack | Aug 14, 2008 1:12:48 PM

22. jason.. yeah.. i know how their model works.. good point.. but i still think that a couple of months of dramatically reduced sub-dollars would send a pretty strong message to mr. crutchley. they have to be making more money off of subs than banner ads.. no way they could command too high of a CPM from a couple of fetish sites and an enema company, right??

ohhh... maybe we should get people to send emails to their advertisers! get a couple of them to write some letters and either pull or threaten to pull advertising...

thoughts???

Posted by: habitat67 | Aug 14, 2008 1:18:10 PM

23. I cancelled. And i'm a VVGL twenty something stud. I also emailed everyone i met on the site with the information before cancelling. I know lots of people who were just looking for an excuse to cancel. No time like the present.

Posted by: Aaron | Aug 14, 2008 1:24:40 PM

24. Somebody help me out... what is VVGL?

Posted by: crispy | Aug 14, 2008 1:33:31 PM

25. Keeping this simple.
    My manhunt account is now cancelled.
    Won't be renewing again.
    Whoever said tat nothing comes between gay men and sex doesn't now me or my social circle. We care about a multitude of issues, sex being one, and have enough self worth and social conscience to have no financial involvement with a corporation owned by a self loathing individual who is willing to place right wing ideology over his own rights and freedoms.
    I respect everyone's right for free will and don't condemn anyone who chooses to keep their membership, but that's just not the way I roll.

Posted by: Danmac | Aug 14, 2008 1:35:19 PM