Democratic National Convention | Democratic Party | Denver | Michelle Obama | News

BigGayDeal.com

Michelle Obama Speaks to LGBT Delegates at Convention Lunch

Michelle_2

Before heading over to the Pepsi Center on Tuesday we stopped by the luncheon for LGBT Delegates Hosted by Rep. Barney Frank, with Rep. Tammy Baldwin, the Gay and Lesbian Victory Fund and Human Rights Campaign.

08_4But the big event of the luncheon was an unscheduled appearance by Michelle Obama. I got a nice surprise when, after her speech, she stepped down and walked over to some of us and I was able to shake the hand of this impressive woman.

I also finally had a chance to meet Pam Spaulding of the excellent blog Pam's House Blend on Monday of the Convention. Pam has a brief clip of the crowd going nuts over Michelle Obama's introduction.

You can listen to a longer clip of Michelle Obama's remarks to the LGBT delegation, AFTER THE JUMP...

For our full DNC coverage, click here.

Michelle2_2

Comments

1. Ah, Bedwell. Good to have you back, bro.

Posted by: JeffRob | Aug 27, 2008 3:00:47 PM

2. More complete version here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpgfrgBg8QU

Posted by: Steven W. | Aug 27, 2008 3:12:20 PM

3. Las vegas and Michael Bedwell

Thanks for your info.

Lawerence

obama does support civil unions, gay adoption, the repeal of DOMA, and the repeal of DADT

mcshame wants to keep DOMA in place, DADT in place, forbid you the right to adopt, and actively campaigned against civil unions in AZ

If you can not see the difference between the 2 then the problem is with you and not Obama.

Derrick :-)

Always spot on and witty to boot.

Posted by: Jimymboyo | Aug 27, 2008 4:50:11 PM

4. Ok, go ahead and vote for McCain. It makes perfect since for someone gay to vote for a man who is opposed to all rights for the LGBT community. I think they call that self-hatred. At least Obama is for Civil Unions and for those unions having equal protections under the law to "traditional marriage." I don't care what it's called as long as legally, my partner of 10 years is my next of kin.

And as for the ridiculous comment about Michelle being uncomfortable hugging White people and her not shaking her Black radicalism, when was she this Black radical? Was it while attending those bastions of Black Power, Prineton and Harvard? Or possibly while an attorney at Sidley Austin, one of the largest moneymaking law firms in the world? Oh I know when. It was when she was a staffer for that former Black Panther, the current Mayor of Chicago, Richard M. Daley. Don't let his White face and father's legacy of bigotry towards all people of color fool you, Daley is practically a gangsta rapper.

Please stop the madness people. Just because they constantly repeat something on FARCE News, that doesn't mean it's the truth.

Posted by: Kevin | Aug 27, 2008 5:07:38 PM

5. I agree fully with Kevin. Michelle Obama is a wonderful, smart, and caring woman. But everyone should just vote for John McCain so that people like Jason do not have the right to marry. I have a gay best friend and he should be able to have the same rights as I do. It is time for the GBLT community to get their rights because they are human beings and they deserve them. Besides, I wanna be a bridesmaid!

Posted by: Ari | Aug 27, 2008 9:33:26 PM

6. Hey guys,it not only Obama who is against gay marriage.I'm gay & I don't think marriage as a word is right for gays.Let it be for straights.It is their think and it should not be ours.Civil unions with all the rights and obligations and benefits should be our think.Marriage is for straights,civil unions is for gays.And for that I will vote now and ever.Who the hell wants to be like the straights?.Uh...(imagen vomit and disgust).

Posted by: Oscar | Aug 30, 2008 7:06:51 PM