Barack Obama | Election 2008 | John McCain | News | Pat Buchanan | Rachel Maddow

BigGayDeal.com

Rachel Maddow Smacks Down Pat Buchanan Over Made-Up Quote

Buchanan_maddow

Rachel Maddow gave it to Pat Buchanan on Race to the White House Monday night when Buchanan tried to use a made-up quote to demonstrate that Obama has hubris. Thankfully, David Gregory has the correct quote on hand and Maddow uses it to argue that prejudice is driving the attacks on Obama, and finally hands Buchanan his own prejudice on a platter.

Some are suggesting that MSNBC is purposely not posting this segment online.

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Here's a partial transcript:

GREGORY: Let me break in. Smerc, you‘re coming. The actual quote, as Politico reported on this-this is what Obama reportedly said, according to Politico: “it‘s becoming increasingly clear in my travel, the campaign, that the crowds, the enthusiasm, 200,000 people in Berlin, it‘s not about me at all. It‘s about America. I have just become a symbol.” Smerc.

SMERCONISH: All right, nobody was in the room from a journalistic standpoint when that statement was offered. But, the “New York Times,” I‘m amazed nobody has brought this up so far, June 4th, 2008, a direct quote from Senator Obama: “I love when I‘m shaking hands on a rope line and I see a little old white lady and a big burly black guy and Latino girls and all their hands are entwined. They are feeding on each other, as much as on me. It‘s like I‘m just the excuse.”

In other words, he‘s said it before in the proper context. It‘s a feel good statement about the country and what he represents. We don‘t have to debate what he said behind closed doors, because we have him on the record. Giving him the benefit of the doubt, he said the same thing yesterday that he told the Times on this day.

MADDOW: Which I would argue is a symbol of humility and not hubris, but people want to run win the hubris line, I think for prejudiced reasons.

BUCHANAN: Is Dana Milbank doing this for prejudice reasons? Come on.

MADDOW: I‘m not accusing him of being racist.

(CROSS TALK)

MADDOW: Pat, how could you look at-

BUCHANAN: Everybody that‘s critical of Obama, when he‘s in a rough patch, to which he‘s responding with angry ads which show these attacks are working.

MADDOW: Whether or not they are working, I think we have a responsibility to talk about whether or not they are deserved, Pat. I think when John McCain doesn‘t speak to Pat Buchanan as being presumptuous, when he calls himself President McCain, but Barack Obama speaks to you as presumptuous for doing something much less damning, that says more about you than it does about the candidate.

GREGORY: Got to take a break here. Coming back, your play date with the panel.

Comments

1. I really enjoy Rachel Maddow. That's a great clip.

Posted by: BusyTimmy | Aug 1, 2008 8:44:39 AM

2. I have to start watching more political shows!

Posted by: MT | Aug 1, 2008 8:47:33 AM

3. LOL the thing I love about Rachel Maddow is that you know she's got all her points carefully organized and rehearsed because she knows she will only get so much time on the air to fit them all in. And somehow, she manages to do it, speaking very fast yet clearly and with great articulation. She's almost always nearly out of breath when she's done! But she is an excellent debator and very well informed. And somehow she also manages to remain cool and collected, I don't think I've ever seen her "lose it" even when arguing with the biggest douchebags. She doesn't seem to let the morons get to her.

I liked when she filled in for Olbermann on his show while he was gone. I felt like it was a kind of trial for if she were to have her own MSNBC show, which I hope will be considered at some point.

Posted by: Wes | Aug 1, 2008 9:12:17 AM

4. I am very fond of Rachel and some of her other associates at Radio America. David Bender in particular is amazingly well-informed and just as articulate as Rachel.

I am not so fond of the "Race for the Whitehouse" simulcast on the first hour of Rachel's Air America show, mainly because Rachel rarely gets the chance to say anything on a show that she is ostensibly sharing with David Gregory. But whenever she does get her 15 seconds she ususually gets in something very well-spoken and reasoned.

But mostly the show is a bunch of right wing retards yakking away about Obama and McCain in a nearly fact-free zone. Just about every Republican misconception is taken for granted, and Rachel rarely has enough time to say anything about this. The surge "is a great success", anything labeled "free trade" is of course sancrosanct. Raising taxes, no matter how, will of course "hurt" the economy.

And Obama is "presumptuous" which is just a code word for "uppity" as Rachel makes so clear. It IS racist.

Posted by: Geoff Swenson | Aug 1, 2008 10:02:57 AM

5. Yes, Pat Buchanan is a racist. Everyone that's not supporting the unaccomplished poster boy of the DNC is a racist.

Posted by: BILLF | Aug 1, 2008 10:06:39 AM

6. BillF,

Duh, Pat Buchanan is a racist. Do some frickin' research. Buchanan just appeared on a Neo-Nazi radio program to promote his book. The program in question is well known for it's support of white supremacy.

Buchanan has a LONG history of racism, homophobia, and Antisemitism spanning decades.

I realize this may come as a shock, but racism, sexism, homophobia, and Antisemitism are alivea and well in 2008.

Frankly, it's a disgrace that MSNBC still allows the vile Buchanan on the air under the pretext of his being a "conservative." But the media has a long history of ignoring GOP bigotry.

Posted by: noah | Aug 1, 2008 10:22:20 AM

7. I do love her every time I hear/see her speak.

I might even watch MSNBC again if she got her own show there.

Posted by: gabriel | Aug 1, 2008 10:34:20 AM

8. Noah, well said. However, using logic and facts to argue a point with the right wing is a waste of breath. They would much rather listen to/produce sound bytes than discuss issues and facts. Nice try though.

Posted by: dezboy | Aug 1, 2008 10:48:24 AM

9. Rock on Rachel, rock on! Its about time someone called out this tired old bigot/racist/homphobe for what he is. MSNBC has him on and he says whatever he wants and the spineless anchors say nothing, good for Rachel for telling it like it is.

Posted by: Luke | Aug 1, 2008 10:53:44 AM

10. I had an opportunity to work in the same radio station as Rachel at one time, and she is THE BEST. Off-camera she is the most friendly, down-to-earth person you might ever want to meet. And she's great to her staff.

Posted by: banjiboi | Aug 1, 2008 10:56:24 AM

11. It speaks volumes about the state of news television today that anyone as biased and hateful as Pat Buchanan is even given any airtime. The internet cuts through the crap they spew and I suspect the television news shows will die an unsympathetic death as people increasingly turn to the internet and weed out the lies from the likes of Pat Buchanan and the other hate-mongers like him.

Posted by: Philbert Gray | Aug 1, 2008 11:35:53 AM

12. My apologies. I stuck my foot in it. But, you're either with the Obama candidacy, or there must be something wrong with you.

Posted by: BILLF | Aug 1, 2008 11:44:21 AM

13. billf:

yes bill, i guessing there would be something wrong with anybody who is willing to support a continuance of the same policies that have sent this nation spiraling down the toilet.

Posted by: alguien | Aug 1, 2008 12:19:36 PM

14. Typical right-wing distortions. A few days ago the wingnutdaily had a story on remarks Obama had made about taking real steps to address historically-based inequality, action in inner cities, for example, rather than just apologies.

In an article titled "Obama suggests reparations to blacks, Native Americans " they quoted one after another right-wing pundit suggesting Obama was really talking about "reparations," though he never used that word or talked about anything like financial handouts.

Then they had a poll entitled "What do you think about Obama's promotion of 'reparations' to blacks and Native Americans?"

How many times do you have to repeat "Obama" and "reparations" for people to believe it's true? Oh, and if you want to see some undisguised racism, check the comments on the poll!

Posted by: Kevinvt | Aug 1, 2008 12:34:15 PM

15. Social Psych 101:

People look for confirming as opposed to disconfirming information.

People will remember the original, confirming (or salacious or provocative) statement long after it has been disproved (perfect example: Al Gore claimed he "invented" the internet).

Marketing campaigns (for product or candidates) use psychology to their advantage. So when the pundits say something outrageous and false, they know they have done their job even if they are shown to be disingenuous.

So Obama, to many, will always be a racist, Muslim terrorist who refuses to place his hand over his heart, and is now, apparently, a megalomaniac as well. Sad, huh?

Posted by: JT | Aug 1, 2008 1:15:38 PM

16. Please Rachel, do a guest host spot on the View. That Hasselbeck creature does her Hannity impressions and the other hosts have such a hard time inserting logic and truth. Rachel would easily expose the echo of Fox News right wing talking points and deception. Please, Rachel, please.

Posted by: Jonathan | Aug 1, 2008 2:32:08 PM

17. "Some are suggesting that MSNBC is purposely not posting this segment online."

And some are suggesting that some people will scream and yell about anything. The truth is that MSNBC never posts all their video online.

Posted by: Joe Bua | Aug 1, 2008 2:43:42 PM

18. Billf: Which candidacy would you like to be with?

Posted by: David D. | Aug 1, 2008 2:49:38 PM

19. BILLF, fuck-off back to the Log Cabin club

Posted by: Chakra Khan | Aug 1, 2008 4:20:17 PM

20. BILLF, fuck-off back to the Log Cabin club

Posted by: Chakra Khan | Aug 1, 2008 4:21:26 PM

21. Rachel Maddow, FTW!!

Posted by: Derrick | Aug 1, 2008 5:18:17 PM

22. HANDED!

Posted by: Clayton | Aug 1, 2008 5:25:03 PM

23. Bravo, Rachael! She and Dan Abrams are the two best people on cable news. They need to get a show together.

Posted by: kenneth | Aug 1, 2008 6:37:11 PM

24. I Heart Rachael Maddow!

Posted by: Timothy | Aug 2, 2008 7:51:09 AM

25. What a crock. Why should Obama have to be humble. He is trying to become leader of the free world after all.

Posted by: Ian | Aug 3, 2008 7:48:46 PM