I'm Not Gay | News | Robert Downey Jr.

Robert Downey Jr. Says His Bisexuality was 'Manufactured'

According to Popnography, Robert Downey Jr. tells Rolling Stone magazine that his rumored bisexuality was something he manufactured:

Rollingstone"A lot of my peer group think I'm an eccentric bisexual. That's OK. Being relaxed about sexuality is something you're born with...[My bisexuality] was manufactured. I didn't have an identity. I was playing around. I expressed it. I grew up in the Rocky Horror Picture Show world, where even my butch friends turned out to be androgynous on Saturday nights."

Previously
'Head in a Net' Trend Catching On [tr]
Robert Downey Jr. Plays Black Actor in Tropic Thunder [tr]

Comments

1. so hot to think Robert sucking cock

Posted by: elnerd | Jan 5, 2010 9:38:30 AM

2. Nothing wrong at all with being bisexual. Sucking another guy's big hard throbbing cock until hot cum fills your mouth is deliciously satisfying, yum.

Posted by: Perry | Jul 19, 2010 8:11:05 PM

3. Robert is a liar. In the 80s AIDS was rampant and it was very difficult to be identified as gay. No one would have allowed this if it wasn't true. Downey Jr is looking through eyes of the 00s, where it's not that big of a deal to be gay. It was a HUGE deal to be gay in the 80s when Gay = AIDS and AIDS = Death. Little kids were beat up, parents of AIDS children got their houses burned down. Look at Ryan White. No one would have allowed this back then. You're gay Downey if you don't want to admit it fine, Diana Ross can call herself white, but it'll never hold up under close inspection

Posted by: Eric79 | Jul 22, 2010 1:22:51 PM

4. Personally I don't care what his Sexuality is.However, in the post he does not directly address his rumored Bisexuality and say: "I am not, nor was I ever Bisexual." He does however leave us with a very vague response to a question that has become rather diluted it self. Which I believe was pure genius on his part, It sort of leaves us wondering what he was really getting at. And I also agree with what someone said about how genius it would be to not respond to these rumors at all and allow them to circulate as they will.

Posted by: Aurther | Nov 13, 2011 7:34:38 AM

5. Robert Downey Jr. is a consummate artist who is often too passionate about his craft to the point of recklessness. Great artists often are.

Posted by: Manny Espinola | Dec 5, 2011 10:07:46 PM

6. Robert Downey Sr. served in the Army, played minor league baseball, was a Golden Gloves champion and off-off Broadway playwright, all before he was 22 years old. In 1960 he began writing and directing basement-budgeted, absurdist films that gained an underground following: Balls Bluff, Babo 73, Chafed Elbows and No More Excuses... See full bio »

Born:Robert Joseph Elias
    June 24, 1935 in USA

Posted by: Rev. Joseph Shore-Goss | Jan 5, 2012 10:27:03 PM

7. He's very clever. You just have to watch the video for "I want love" to know that he knows exactly what to do to get in anyone's pants. And to be fair he'd prob succeed with most people. Reading between the lines I think he's saying that sexuality is fluid and you can't artificially define people as one thing or another.

Posted by: Jo | Apr 5, 2012 3:35:40 PM

8. It didnt sound to me like he was denying his rumoured bisexual past, He didn't say that he didn't sleep with guys, what it read like to me was that he didn't have a clear sexual identity so he experimented with both genders and that his bisexuality was manufactured in the way that it was probably not a genuine sexual attraction to other men but something that he was open to trying and acted on while experimenting with sex, I think it just sounds like he had a very open attitude to sex and was willing to try things and I think that's great I love guys that have very open attitudes to sex and don't see it as a big deal and are willing to experiment.

Posted by: Saffron | May 15, 2012 3:22:53 PM

9. Being ambiguous about an ambiguously gay past (or present) to safeguard a Hollywood career is one thing. To outright lie about it by inventing a heterosexual red herring relationship is another. Give Downey credit for having more integrity than Katharine Hepburn, who tried to whitewash her lesbian past by fabricating a great, tragic love affair with the sodden and closeted Spencer Tracy. Amazingly, some people still swallow it hook, line and sinker.

Posted by: Too-Loose Lautrec | Dec 10, 2012 9:17:29 AM

10. When I saw the article...all I could ask myself was, "Why is this revelation necessary?". What purppose does it serve? He is a maarried man in a a reportedly monogamous relationship. His current sexuality is defined by that alone...and his popularity isn't dependant upon pandering to an LGBT audience. He's certainly not the first successful artist to say, "I take that all back"...Bowie, etc.

Posted by: Michael | Feb 9, 2013 12:37:27 AM

11. I await with impatience the next Ironman movie.

Posted by: Manny Espinola | Feb 11, 2013 9:52:46 AM

12. He's friends with Jodie Foster.

#closetcase
    #behindthetimes

Who cares, Mr. Downey?

Posted by: Adam | Feb 20, 2013 1:41:08 PM

13. I love him, he's mine

Posted by: ty | Feb 25, 2013 11:57:02 PM

14. Honest to God truth here.

A friend I had was working on a RDJ film, and told me RDJ propositioned him. Nothing happened. But I always believed my friend.

Saw RDJ on Letterman once and he made some anti-gay comment. I felt he was trying to throw us all off the path.

Posted by: Ken | Feb 27, 2013 4:28:00 PM

15. Liberace was romantically linked to Mae West and Sonje Henie. Smooth as silk, he dismissed his male-male palimony suit as just so much de riguer celebrity rumor inconvenience and in the same breath implied interest in pussy during a young Oprah interview in 1986 as he was wasting away from AIDS. Performers by definition are all hot messes, every last one of them, especially actors. Their careers are tenuous and depend on public personae carefully crafted by hacks. I understand the whole role model line and do not buy one crumb of it -- it is babble calculated to aggrandize some self-described "Queer Studies" bore. Why do we care what celebrities want us to believe about the history of their genitalia?

Posted by: J.D. | Mar 2, 2013 10:16:47 PM

16. He can deny it if he wants, but my long-time (very hot) male friend knew Downey for years and said Downey was always hitting on him.

Posted by: mea | Apr 29, 2013 9:53:13 PM

17. so what if he is bi so what if he is straight so what if he is gay cant we just see beyond sexual preference and see that he is a good actor? he did look gay or bi on sherlock holmes when he was dressed as a woman though remember gay blades?

Posted by: me i am me | Oct 20, 2013 1:30:48 AM