BigGayDeal.com

Will 'Swingtown' Boogie On?

Swingtownlogo

Not sure how many of you agree, but I'm a huge fan of CBS' unconventional summer series "Swingtown," and was hoping the big splash it made these past few months would ensure that we'd get a second season. Now I see over on Marc Harshbarger's DeepDish blog that it's been reported that CBS is likely cutting the show, but it's being shopped around to other networks for a possible continued run. Like many, I agreed with early critics who thought the show relied too heavily on kitschy decor and props (gotta have a Tab can in every scene!) and '70s music (early on my friend Jay summed it up perfectly, "It's not bad enough to stop watching."). But then by episode 3 -- when many had already jumped ship -- the show got REALLY GOOD. The story lines suddenly were thoughtful and poignant (women's rights, child neglect, First Amendment protections) and the show's stellar cast -- notably Lana Parilla as the hip and sexy swinger Trina (who is in an open marriage with Grant Show, who is foxier now than when he was on "Melrose Place") and Miriam Shor, as the uptight Janet, who doesn't know what to make of her best friend Susan's new lifestyle -- left me wanting way more, (And don't even get me started about Michael Rady as Doug, the studliest teacher since Mr. Puccio taught pre-Algebra back at Rhodes Junior High!)

If you agree, you might want to fill out this Save Swingtown online petition or check out the Save Swingtown blog here.

FYI: The show's executive producer, Alan Poul, has already responded to the blog's efforts: "Thank you so much for sending me this. Of course we're fighting the good fight with the network, but your support really matters. Please let me know if there's anything we can do to help you."

Swingtown_grant

Comments

1. At first my partner and I thought it might have too much straight sex given the premise of the show, but it is indeed a great show and once again, being in Canada, we're at the mercy of US televison and if the poweres that be only took into consideration the Canadian viewship, they might be surprised to find the viewing audience is much larger than they think.

Posted by: Kyle | Aug 26, 2008 11:09:59 AM

2. I agree, it is so great to see American TV take some risks as it has become so boring! If I have to watch one more "reality" show I am going to jump off the Lenny Zakim bridge.

My favorite show this season though is Sordid Lives, I am addicted!

Dave, WGB

Posted by: WickedGayBlog.com | Aug 26, 2008 11:21:11 AM

3. Thanks, Kenneth. I just signed.

Posted by: Roger | Aug 26, 2008 11:49:23 AM

4. here here! brilliant and oh so enjoyable show

Posted by: trickytoro | Aug 26, 2008 11:55:12 AM

5. here here! brilliant and oh so enjoyable show

Posted by: trickytoro | Aug 26, 2008 11:56:06 AM

6. here here! brilliant and oh so enjoyable show

Posted by: trickytoro | Aug 26, 2008 11:56:11 AM

7. It's a sign!! My partner and I just sped through 3 weeks of episodes (we've been out of town and DVR'ing them), and I said aloud after the last episode (the kids play strip poker, Roger confesses his feelings to Susan), "I'm gonna write a note to somebody at CBS and tell them to hang onto this show--it's too good to pass up." I think it'd do even better if CBS, which owns Showtime, moved it over there--then they could REALLY get into the adult material properly.

How typically American: we have how many shows on dealing with crime scenes, criminal forensics, and brutal murders, but a thoughtful show about our sexual habits and mores? God forbid.

Posted by: Dback | Aug 26, 2008 12:00:03 PM

8. Oh, and I wanted to give props to the cast, especially the women. Miriam Shor can play drama as nimbly as comedy, Molly Parker has a wonderfully expressive face filled with yearning and avid sexuality. And Lana Parilla is just a knockout playing a woman who could so easily be a cliche, but who finds subtle moments of sadness and world-weary wisdom. (I also love how gracious she is to people.) Not to mention that no woman in 30 years has looked so sensational in retro-70's clothes!

Posted by: Dback | Aug 26, 2008 12:04:30 PM

9. I also like the show, but kind of wish that the title was different so it didn't lead one to believe it was just about swinging

I recently read that Grant Show is guesting as Addison's brother on the Grey's Anatomy spinoff Private Practice.

Posted by: socal | Aug 26, 2008 12:26:48 PM

10. doesn't look too good, i'm afraid:

Posted by: scooterzz | Aug 26, 2008 12:49:45 PM

11. THANK YOU for posting this. I love this show. I'll be so bummed if it doesn't continue!

Posted by: Anthony | Aug 26, 2008 2:25:33 PM

12. The show should live on...on Showtime or HBO.

Posted by: PatrickPatrick | Aug 26, 2008 2:41:22 PM

13. Swingtown has a bisexual double standard. It featured bisexuality in women but not in men. This discrimination is typical of Hollywood as well as swingers in general. If you go to many swingers' clubs, male-male sexuality is expressly forbidden whereas female-female is encouraged. I certainly don't think this selectively homophobic attitude is something to support. Thumbs down to Swingtown, it deserves to go.

Posted by: jason | Aug 26, 2008 5:49:30 PM

14. Unfortunately, Jason, that's true in almost all entertainment. Turn on any late night cable movie; the women are ALL bisexual, and ready for a romp with another gal at a moment's notice. Meanwhile, the cameraman is so terrified of even showing a man's exposed tush, the woman always has to be astride, facing the camera away from him so the (male) viewer is ONLY focused on her. And most clubs (as reflected on the show) allow unaccompanied women or "ladies free" nights, but not unaccompanied men.

"Swingtown" at least deserves props for having a 2-men, 1-woman threesome (which is VERY taboo for most straight men), as well as including gay men in the "club" episode, and the probably-closeted teenage boy among the younger characters. Considering the women's movement (and the gay movement) were in their infancy in the '70's, it's nice that they're acknowledged.

Posted by: Dback | Aug 26, 2008 7:37:47 PM