Film | News | Tennessee Williams

Will Tenn Be the Next Capote?

Tennessee

Director Taylor Hackford (Dolores Claiborne, Against All Odds, An Oficer and a Gentleman) is set to direct the Tennessee Williams bio-drama Tenn from a screenolay by Robin Shushan:

Hackford"Pic focuses on how Williams' tumultuous upbringing -- complete with a scornful father, depression, conflicts about sexuality and watching his beloved sister institutionalized and lobotomized -- fueled the conflict in such plays as 'The Glass Menagerie' and the Pulitzer Prize-winning 'A Streetcar Named Desire.' Ohoven said the script was a close parallel to 'Capote,' which turned the 'In Cold Blood' author's relationship with two murderers into a riveting drama. 'I had that same incredible feeling reading this script that I had on 'Capote,' and here again is an extremely dramatic story about how a torn and twisted life led Williams to write such great successes,' [producer Michael] Ohoven said."

Comments

1. I hope this comes true. I love Tennessee Williams. I've seen his lesser-known works & even those have its moments.

Posted by: scar2 | Aug 13, 2008 10:33:03 AM

2. Tennessee Williams is one of my favorite writers ever. He is in my personal pantheon of artists (next to Lorca, Proust and Almodovar) that have inspired my own writing immensely.

That said, I hope they don't mess this up. I also hope Philip Seymour Hoffman isn't playing him. LOL. I'm not so sure who looks like Tennessee. They'll probably hire some macho actor who will talk about how "brave" he felt to be tackling such a "risky" role . . . and then he'll win an Oscar.

Posted by: Alex | Aug 13, 2008 10:37:42 AM

3. Robert.
    Downey.
    Junior.
    Please.

Posted by: LD | Aug 13, 2008 10:44:57 AM

4. Might also be worth mentioning that Taylor Hackford has also been "Mr. Helen Mirren" for the past 11 years. Lucky guy.

Posted by: Nick | Aug 13, 2008 10:50:45 AM

5. Might also be worth mentioning that Taylor Hackford has also been "Mr. Helen Mirren" for the past 11 years. Lucky guy.

Posted by: Nick | Aug 13, 2008 10:54:39 AM

6. Helen Mirren can do "Miss Edwina" (Tennessee's monster mother) in a heartbeat. Laura Linney would be a perfect Rose.

As for Tennessee himself, eithger an unknonw or Vincent Kartheiser.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Aug 13, 2008 11:39:47 AM

7. anyone, anyone, but philip seymour hoffman.

Posted by: brad | Aug 13, 2008 12:52:06 PM

8. i can't wait.

Posted by: Paul Pincus | Aug 13, 2008 1:02:07 PM

9. i can't wait!

Posted by: Paul Pincus | Aug 13, 2008 1:04:19 PM

10. I agree with your choices David E except for "himself". LD nailed it with Robt. Downey Jr.

Posted by: rudy | Aug 13, 2008 1:06:34 PM

11. Williams was a giant to Capote's piss ant, the latter something of a one-hit wonder eventually better known for being the resident non-threatening fag clown in Johnny Carson's stable than anything else. Glad to see his work resurrected but it is Williams who is LONG overdue for recycling his former artistic/cultural phenomenon stature.

Posted by: Michael Bedwell | Aug 13, 2008 5:41:45 PM

12. I want make sex with Taylor Hackford.

Posted by: Jerry | Aug 13, 2008 7:29:37 PM