Brad Pitt | California | Gay Marriage | News

Brad Pitt Donates $100,000 to Fight Same-Sex Marriage Ban

Brad Pitt has donated $100,000 to fight Proposition 8, the November ballot measure that would ban same-sex marriage in California by declaring marriage between a man and a woman.

PittSaid Pitt in a statement: "Because no one has the right to deny another their life, even though they disagree with it, because everyone has the right to live the life they so desire if it doesn't harm another and because discrimination has no place in America, my vote will be for equality and against Proposition 8."

It's not the first time Pitt (pictured here in a scene of his recent film Burn After Reading) has made a statement in favor of marriage equality. In December 2006, he told Esquire magazine: "Angie [Jolie] and I will consider tying the knot when everyone else in the country who wants to be married is legally able."

Pitt's donation is the largest to the anti-Prop. 8 campaign by a major celebrity, the L.A. Times reports.

No on Prop 8 [official site]

Comments

1. Sexiest man alive! Thank you, Brad!

Posted by: peterparker | Sep 17, 2008 6:35:37 PM

2. Thank you, Brad.

Posted by: Osman | Sep 17, 2008 6:59:11 PM

3. Brad! Thank you so much! Unbelievable.

Posted by: David T | Sep 17, 2008 7:05:19 PM

4. Bravo, Brad. For taking a stand and for his generosity.

Posted by: Ernie | Sep 17, 2008 7:26:57 PM

5. Bravo Brad, I wonder if he would also consider donating some time to do a TV or radio commercial. Regardless, it's an incredibly generous donation

I'm guessing we can't expect similar donations from Tom Cruise and John Travolta...

Posted by: John M | Sep 17, 2008 7:32:40 PM

6. Perfect timing too, with his new movie, "Burn After Reading," a hit. This should get ample play.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Sep 17, 2008 7:51:03 PM

7. Wow. This is awesome. Thanks to Brad Pitt. Remember when we could count on Madonna and other celebs to help our community and its causes?

Posted by: Scott | Sep 17, 2008 7:51:42 PM

8. I think I should put a picture of this man on my wall!

Posted by: Ken Atkins | Sep 17, 2008 8:09:29 PM

9. Brad - thanks for being a leader. not just with the money, but with a consistent commitment to others. while this issue affects me directly, you're a leader across a variety of other philanthropic efforts and sincere about your desire to make a difference. this probably reads like some wet, dopey fan letter - when it's really just a heartfelt thanks.

Posted by: resurrect | Sep 17, 2008 8:11:55 PM

10. Doesn't he havea movie coming out where he plays a gay man looking for an aids cure?? this sure would help publicize that movie among gay viewers....

Posted by: alan brickman | Sep 17, 2008 8:20:40 PM

11. He is a beautiful human being in every way.

Posted by: Olive Yurdich | Sep 17, 2008 8:22:49 PM

12. @ ALAN BRICKMAN: a quick check of imdb.com reveals that Brad Pitt does not have any involvement with any film about a gay man with AIDS who is looking for a cure. He is, however, the protagonist in an upcoming film called "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" in which Pitt plays Benjamin Button, a man who is aging backwards.

Posted by: peterparker | Sep 17, 2008 8:35:55 PM

13. well isn't that nice?

Posted by: jennifer aniston | Sep 17, 2008 8:37:05 PM

14. Brad's perfect in every way.

Posted by: JK | Sep 17, 2008 8:37:27 PM

15. I AM SO IMPRESSED and not surprised at all. he and Angelina are so generous.

STOP PROP 8!

Dave, WGB

Posted by: WickedGayBlog.com | Sep 17, 2008 8:38:07 PM

16. That's really great, Brad! But why do you and Angie keep denying my application to be adopted? I know I'd make a lovely addition to your family if you'd just give me a chance. Please, Brad, please! I love you. Call me.

Posted by: crispy | Sep 17, 2008 8:40:31 PM

17. Brad and Angelina are your classic liberal couple with a bisexual double standard. She promoted herself as bisexual in order to get attention, he has promoted himself as strictly heterosexual to maintain his fan base and probably to avoid offending those who are homophobic to men specifically. As such, neither of them are on my "favorites" list.

Just look around you and you will see so many other liberal couples with a similar bisexual double standard - i.e. she bi, he straight. They're hypcorites and creeps. Keep your money, Brad, we don't need it.

Posted by: jason | Sep 17, 2008 8:52:33 PM

18. He's to be thanked for the generous and needed support. And good for him for issuing a statement to go along with it. May his donation encourage other celebrities to step forward. Somewhat troubling that his is the largest celebrity donation to date.

Posted by: Gianpiero | Sep 17, 2008 9:04:30 PM

19. As much as I'm a believer in the "Don't Feed the Trolls" advice, I have to say fuck off, Jason. We need the money very much to win this thing. Show us the receipt for your own 110K donation before you slam anyone else's contribution.

Posted by: Will | Sep 17, 2008 9:13:29 PM

20. I am very touched and impressed!!!!

Where is Madonna on all this? all that money WE spend on her music and her shows and she can't even donate $100???

Brad Pitt and Cyndi Lauper have proven with their action that they are our friends!!! They both make the world a better place!!!

Posted by: Sean | Sep 17, 2008 9:22:50 PM

21. Re: Jason,
    Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!
    Thanks for the laugh. I really mean it.

Posted by: Mark in NYC | Sep 17, 2008 9:27:35 PM

22. I have always liked this dude.....

Posted by: onescrewloose | Sep 17, 2008 9:27:45 PM

23. I'm starting to think Jason is a parody. That, or he's suffering from a severe form of autism.

Posted by: crispy | Sep 17, 2008 9:41:13 PM

24. Glad that Brad knows his fan base! It's nice to see straight stars support decency and not hew to some absurd conservative standard.

Can we also just agree to ignore Jason from now on, forever? As my mother used to tell me when one of my older brothers teased me, "Just ignore him. He just wants attention, good or bad. Don't give him attention and he'll get bored and stop bothering you." She was right.

Posted by: Paul R | Sep 17, 2008 10:10:07 PM

25. BRAD,
    I already thought you had become quite a DILF.

Now you're just a good guy.

That I'd Like To F......