Brad Pitt | California | Gay Marriage | News

Brad Pitt Donates $100,000 to Fight Same-Sex Marriage Ban

Brad Pitt has donated $100,000 to fight Proposition 8, the November ballot measure that would ban same-sex marriage in California by declaring marriage between a man and a woman.

PittSaid Pitt in a statement: "Because no one has the right to deny another their life, even though they disagree with it, because everyone has the right to live the life they so desire if it doesn't harm another and because discrimination has no place in America, my vote will be for equality and against Proposition 8."

It's not the first time Pitt (pictured here in a scene of his recent film Burn After Reading) has made a statement in favor of marriage equality. In December 2006, he told Esquire magazine: "Angie [Jolie] and I will consider tying the knot when everyone else in the country who wants to be married is legally able."

Pitt's donation is the largest to the anti-Prop. 8 campaign by a major celebrity, the L.A. Times reports.

No on Prop 8 [official site]

Comments

1. While I appreciate Brad's effort, am I the only one disgusted at the 100,000's of dollars being spent daily on things like propositions, initiatives, and election campaigns?

What a disgusting use of money! So gays have to PAY PAY PAY to possibly have the CHANCE of equality. F*CK THAT!

Any self-respecting gay person would resist taxation. Gays who pay taxes are sanctioning their own discrimination.

Posted by: John Bisceglia | Sep 17, 2008 10:33:15 PM

2. Wicked cool! I was going to wait for his newest movie to go on DVD... now I think I'll go and see it. $100,000 makes a huge difference. We were about 6 or 7 million behind in fundraising. $100,000 is honestly a decent chunk of that! Hopefully he can get some other celebrities and their friends to chip in, too. I'll say this about Brad: there's a lot of celebrities who'll talk the talk, but Brad really put his money where his mouth is.

Posted by: Ryan | Sep 17, 2008 11:34:24 PM

3. Brad Pitt has never really been a "type" that I'm necessarily attracted to so I don't know if it's the fact that he's getting older or the fact that he continues to do and say the most honest and beautiful things that makes me want to DO HIM.

Or I guess hug him. Like a really big squeeze.

Posted by: Rey | Sep 17, 2008 11:45:24 PM

4. thanx brad! you're a beautiful human being.

Posted by: nic | Sep 18, 2008 12:18:31 AM

5. I remember having a class with Brad in college at U of Mo. He was a great guy then, and just gets better with time!

Posted by: Granville | Sep 18, 2008 12:47:08 AM

6. SCOTT, SEAN, thanks for mentioning Madonna - this is exactly what I was talking about with her "dedicating" that Like A Virgin performance to the pope. If she in fact gave a damn about her fans she'd donate a tiny portion of her gay-created wealth to the cause. Remember, she gave a cool $21 MILLION to a Kabbalah school... so maybe they could have had one fewer tennis court so we could share in a few hundred thousand of the fund and perhaps gain one extra little civil right?

Brad and Angelina are role models. They need to get some gay awards!

Posted by: SexyBack | Sep 18, 2008 1:08:55 AM

7. "Any self-respecting gay person would resist taxation."

I do.

I never cared for Brad as an actor, but as a person he's certainly top-notch.

Posted by: Dale | Sep 18, 2008 1:10:31 AM

8. i just donated $50 to "NO ON PROP 8" on a credit card. that contribution is not on the scale of brad pitt's, but please donate whatever you can. as california goes on social issues, the rest of the country will follow.

we are in a fight for our lives. if straight men support us, can't we support our causes?

Posted by: nic | Sep 18, 2008 2:23:11 AM

9. I didn't think he could get hotter, but he did it.

Posted by: chadnnocal | Sep 18, 2008 6:21:23 AM

10. I'm with many of you -- as if he couldn't get any sexier, and then he just did.

Posted by: GayListDaily.com | Sep 18, 2008 8:28:21 AM

11. he's one of the very few jillionaire celebrities that seem like a genuine human being.

Posted by: A.J. | Sep 18, 2008 8:58:30 AM

12. Impressive! Now if Mega Millionaire Calfornia SENATOR Dianne Fienstein had the same integrity,courage and actually would fight for the millions of GLBT folks in this state from LA,SF,SD,etc. What a fucking lazy cunt she is! No wonder Harvey Milk voted against her for board president over 30 years ago,he knew she hated gay folks even then and didn't want them to have equality under the US Constitution.

Posted by: SFshawn | Sep 18, 2008 11:07:06 AM

13. while i think its great hes such a humanitarian and all i find it odd he decides to do this less than a week after the gulf coast is devestated by hurricane ike.

Posted by: Janice | Sep 18, 2008 6:59:42 PM

14. JANICE: Bwuh? Because he shouldn't help out gay Californians threatened by this November's proposition whenever a hurricane hits the Gulf Coast? I'm not following...

Besides, I'm sure he and Angelina give away a lot of money that we never hear about. He may have asked his publicist to get the word out on this not to draw attention to himself but to the cause and his support of it.

Posted by: Rey | Sep 18, 2008 8:03:13 PM

15. REY - not trying to take anything away from what hes doing in california b/c i think its great, but i just find it sad that no one who can help gives a s#*t to do anything...so many people lost everything and many more still have no running water or power.

every other natural disaster has hollywood hoping on the 'helping hands' bus...but this one is just not important to anyone

Posted by: Janice | Sep 18, 2008 10:45:06 PM

16. Thank you, Brad! I love you even more for donating to marriage equality! And it's pretty hard to believe that I could love you any more than I already do!

Posted by: Jim | Sep 20, 2008 12:12:13 AM