David Archuleta | Music | Music Video | News

David Archuleta Has a Crush...on Someone

Archuletacrush_2

Interesting then, that the video for David Archuleta's new single Crush tracks Archuleta's attention on the boys almost as often as the girls. Others have noticed as well. And if Archuleta is playing to a bigger audience than the female teen/tween crowd, kudos to him.

Video, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. JeffreyChrist: I happen to think that David is a really talented kid, and (agreeing with Matthew) he seems like a nice guy too. I read some of your blogs and comments about him this season, and for the most part thought you were a little harsh. You almost seemed pissed off at him or something. I'm just wondering how you can go from one extreme to the other, as far as Archuleta goes. I know how much you pretty much can't stand, and couldn't stand him on AI. At least that's what I thought, until I came accross this post...From You..On this site in full and glorious praise of David. Remember writing this before you got so frickin' jaded? Quote: "what a bright-eyed, totally sincere, adorable, sweet-natured kid! I hope he goes far on that alone! There's no air of pretense whatsoever....one of the most endearing contestants in the history of Idol ~ so far. I hope he doesn't turn into an arrogant prick (sorta like Josiah)..."
    I mean C'mon..Leave the guy alone already! OK gettiing off my soap box now...

Posted by: JasenLee | Sep 9, 2008 2:37:04 PM

2. I just hope that David's fans let him come out. The music industry is really homophobic, and i am afraid he will end up like Clay, Barry Manilow, or Michael J. stuck in the closet for life !

Posted by: Tyler | Sep 9, 2008 3:21:28 PM

3. I'm thinkin' the whole 'being mormon' part might play a bigger role in keeping that door shut. #If that's what he's into I mean#. Gotta be PC about the 17 year olds!

Posted by: JasenLee | Sep 9, 2008 3:43:44 PM

4. People want Michael J. to come out?? Ugh. As what? An alien?

Posted by: anon | Sep 9, 2008 3:48:19 PM

5. Its cool... just leave it

Posted by: david | Sep 9, 2008 10:49:11 PM

6. Is this akin to outing??

Posted by: jay | Sep 10, 2008 12:26:33 AM

7. Shouldn't we all just back off??!

ANDY?? hello?

Posted by: jay | Sep 10, 2008 4:23:50 AM

8. Poor little David. He is suffering the same slings and arrows as Clay has. A nice Christian boy that lives a clean life is always going to be a target for bitchy queens and insecure males.

Posted by: Dan | Sep 10, 2008 10:50:47 AM

9. People, let it go. I dont see at all where there is anything gay about this video. The video was shot perfectly, it perfectly tells the story of a young crush between a boy and girl. Why make more out of it. David is soooo very talented, and super nice, I briefly met him on tour. These homophobe idiots are starting trouble and trying to spread rumors on a sweet, innocent, wholesome young man. Stop it!!!!David is a threat, he is the next superstar, and mean spirited people want to try to stop him, and there is no stopping him. Get use to seeing and hearing him, he will be around for a long time. OH, and by the way, I am not a teen fan, and I think he is adorable and has the voice of a angel

Posted by: Lisa | Sep 10, 2008 7:52:27 PM

10. Well, when I saw it, I thought it was pretty obvious that David was watching the guy AND the girl interact in the water. Then, when the guy splashed the girl and rudely left her in the lake, David gives him a disgusted, what-the-heck, kind of look and steps over to his crush to help her out of the water.

Besides, that dreamy look - the one that David gives the girl when they're alone on the porch - pretty much says it all, lol.

So no, I don't think the video is implying the same things you are.

Posted by: RainPainter | Sep 10, 2008 7:54:39 PM

11. No way.

Posted by: Rae | Sep 11, 2008 12:25:54 AM

12. Are you serious David is NOT gay what-so ever. The look that he gives the two guys in the video is a disgusted look for them not being gentlemen enough to help the girl out of the water. Seriously do you people have nothing better to do with your time than to do everything you can to tear down a 17 year old boy??? Good thing David is way more mature than the people that try to tear him down and it doesnt affect him at all and just shrugs it off his shoulder

Posted by: Archielover | Sep 11, 2008 12:34:24 AM

13. I have always have respect for gay people...

I actually feel bad about how some
    people in order to make feel bad another person

call them "gay" and you here are doing the

same thing. You are saying that David is gay and when you do that you are not respecting your own self...I just feel sorry for you. When somebody will respect you for being gay if you don't restect your self?

Is it bad to be gay?
    I always though than being gay doesn't make you different from another person, I have alwasys though that the only difference between gay people and heterosexual is who they choise to have sex with.. that it!!!

You guys love the same
    feel the same
    we feel the same way in every single way. The only difference is that you love your same sex and I love the oposite, that it!!!

Please if you want respect, star respeting your self!!, walk proud and tell the world who you are!!!
    Do't stat acusing some an inocent person who you don't even know, it is not right!!!It is not nice!!!

David is not gay, he is not gay at all!!!

Please stop this stupid rummors that have no sence!!

what are you going to win if you keep doing this?
    At the end you are giong to be more miselable...remember what goes around comes around...

Be a nice person, is it too hard to be a nice person?

David Archuleta is a gentleman, GENTLEMAN is a word we don't use anymore, not many people do not know what it means..maybe is time to go and check it out what it means.

Since when being a nice person makes you gay?
    we are so used to see kids having sex at 10 and speaking just ^&** out of their mouths. now you MUST be like that so people won't think you are gay!!!

David is one in a million!!!, he is a polite, nicem humble young man....

I am sure right now David is praying for you and I am sure he is praying so you will have a good heart and to be happy...David is like that!!

I am wasting my time here, I know who David is and I do not need to wait my time here..

I hope God gives you what you deserve!!!

and I just hope you deserve happines!!!

Posted by: davidmexicanaunt | Sep 11, 2008 1:22:00 AM

14. I can't believe what I've just read! What nonsense! Someone smartly alluded to the usual throng of "bitchy Queens," but what they neglected to examine was the question of why these same deluded, naysaying, mean-spirited men are so bitchy? Indeed, deeply dispirited in their own lives, these men seek to tear down Mr. Archuleta in a desperate and misguided attempt to ameliorate their own depressed state--their own personal Hell. With each and every arrow slung at Archuleta, these aggressors experience a certain (but only temporary) high--a morose delectation, if you will. Pathetic, but true. Blame it on the human condition. The aforementioned phenomenon is as old as is time and is in no way confined to the homosexual population. Oh, and by the way, Rascal is right. Every aspersion will be countered. And vigorously so.

Posted by: Carmelita | Sep 11, 2008 2:32:34 AM

15. Wow, just one scene says all about who David is? It's your wishful thinking and you know how to get attention from readers. Any little kids can tell who David's crushee is. Look at the pictures again. Those boys left the blond alone in the water. David's look tells me how aweful the boys are to her. There are tons of evidence that David is straight, and he doesn't even care about what you say. Why bother? You guys say even Cook is gay. You wish every guy is gay. Wake up! Leave David alone!

Posted by: josh | Sep 11, 2008 3:16:46 AM

16. Just leave David alone. No matter how much people would say he's gay, he won't be affected because he knows the truth. So for all you gay men (the bad ones) who just can't stop wishing that david is gay just so he would hang out with you, well, i have to say that I'm sorry, it's never going to happen because he just isn't one. Dream all you want coz nobody can stop you and because it's free to dream but you guys dreaming for david to be gay won't happen. So, dream on if you will.

Posted by: Kenny | Sep 11, 2008 1:33:36 PM

17. It's a one second clip geez! He's looking at them after they leave the girls in water, seeing if theyre going to help out her (which they don't) So enough of the gay comments.

Posted by: Sam | Sep 11, 2008 3:02:48 PM

18. Most Archies know that I am one of David's biggest supporters. And seeing how this page is evidently getting linked into many of the fan threads, I just want to point out three things:

1. Andy's original post had nothing whatsoever to do with David's sexuality. It posed a question about a certain ambiguity that many people saw in the video -- which is a work of film fiction in which David is playing a character. The only ones who started talking about David's sexuality were a couple of miscreant commenters who took the opportunity to be disrespectful and incendiary. Do your best to ignore them (even if I sometimes can't).

2. We need to remember to separate David from his work. Let's say for the sake of argument that there was some intentional ambiguity as to who the character in the video has a crush on -- it's David's work, and so he might be reaching out to his gay fans to say 'hey, you guys have crushes, too' -- but it still doesn't have anything to do with David's own personal situation.

3. Finally, I would appeal to the Archies who think that insisting that David is NOT gay is NOT a helpful thing. It only supports the assumption that there is something wrong with being gay -- and the truth of the matter is, you have no idea what his situation is. No one will know until such time as he may decide to go public with a romantic relationship--despite what anyone says on his behalf in the meantime.

The thing to do is to avoid the discussion altogether, and recognize that if David's work contains indications of ambiguous sexuality, then it means that he is being very smart about the diversity of his fan base, what his cultural position and responsibilities are, and conveying a broad and compassionate world view.

Posted by: rascal | Sep 12, 2008 10:19:26 AM

19. Check out this video from Melodi TV3 out of Malaysia. The interviewer asks David to address rumors that he is gay. (By the way, that rumor comes up with virtually all male singers; why, I don’t know. And whose business is it anyway?)
    This video was shot during his press conference in Malaysia. FYI: NO HE IS NOT GAY, HE IS ALL ABOUT GIRLS.

Posted by: pam05 | May 4, 2009 8:16:49 PM

20. DAVID DID NOT MAKE THOSE COMMENTS:
    "When I was a teen and beginning to question my sexuality it was hard to come to terms with the fact that I had crushes on the boys around me rather than the girls. I remember asking myself, 'why do I keep running from the truth?'" The author of this article did, some of you only wish he was checking out the guys. FYI: He continously flirts with girls while performing on stage.

Posted by: pam05 | May 4, 2009 8:19:44 PM