Florida | Gay Adoption | Key West | News

Florida's First Gay Adoption

Smith_skahen

Earlier this month I posted about the Circuit Court judge in Florida who had struck down the state's ban on gay adoption in order to allow a foster parent in Key West to adopt the son he had been raising. Here's more from the Miami Herald on Wayne Larue Smith and partner Daniel Skahen and their 12-year-old son:

"The two men have fostered more than 30 children since DCF accepted their application nine years ago, from a 2-day-old newborn to a 17-year-old. Still, there was something missing. The little boy who had come to their home in 2001 wanted a real father, Smith said. Not a foster dad. Not a permanent guardian -- a legal nicety that occurred in 2004 granting Smith the ability to make decisions on the boy's behalf. At the doctor's office, at the grocery store, at an airline ticket counter, the boy seemed to visibly deflate every time a stranger asked Smith, 'Is that your son?' Smith said. Smith and Skahen were, in most respects, model foster parents, records showed. 'The applicant is seen as nurturing, stable and devoted,' a social worker's home study concluded. 'As an individual, he is considered to hold high moral character and is known to be gentle and patient.' The 12-year-old boy's teacher testified the couple were among the most involved and nurturing parents in her class. 'I must confess,' she told a judge, 'the first year I had him, knowing he was of gay parents, I looked for things, and I found nothing.'"

Also, check out the video here...

A gay father finds victory in his family [miami herald]

Previously
Judge Rules Florida Gay Adoption Ban Unconstitutional [tr]

Comments

1. Heart rending and uplifting. "Our children" indeed! Sometimes we are privileged to get a glimpse of truth and beauty in the lives of others. Bless them, their sons, and the judge.

Posted by: rudy | Sep 24, 2008 9:42:34 AM

2. Andy, is there any way to find out any more information on them? I think that a gift registry should be set up. I mean, straight parents always get showered with presents when they have a kid. How about something to help these role models out?

Posted by: Dawson | Sep 24, 2008 9:51:14 AM

3. That's some of the nicest news I've heard all week. I'm really happy that they've finally been able to become a real family - not just in their own eyes, but in the eyes of all aspects of their live. Good for them. The world needs more parents with that much love and determination.

Posted by: lis | Sep 24, 2008 10:37:44 AM

4. It's a beatiful story with a happy ending. However, I can't help being upset with the teacher. She looked for "something" because they were gay parents? What exactly was she looking for? It just shows that even teachers can be ignorant & need to taught as well.

Posted by: scar2 | Sep 24, 2008 10:49:08 AM

5. This has nothing to do with the story but if you live in or visit Las Vegas please don't patronize THE EAGLE.

While trying to set up an OBAMA PRIDE event I was told they couldn't do "a Democratic event because we're McCain supporters!"!

Please stop supporting bars and companies that take our money to kill our movement!

Sorry to go off subject but this is important.

Posted by: Derek Washington | Sep 24, 2008 10:58:33 AM

6. Scar2 - I see what you mean, but I think the teacher was saying her interaction with the dad's is what made her come around and understand gay parents. She had to learn somewhere.

Derek Washington - That's just annoying to comment on a different issue. Either email Andy and suggest a post or get your own blog.

Posted by: SteveH | Sep 24, 2008 11:02:22 AM

7. I decided this AM that adoption of foster kids is the analog to marriage equality.

Foster kids don't "need" that piece of paper or society's approval to have a loving home, but it sure makes things easier. Everything changes with the adoption -- people look at you differently, as if your family is suddenly "real."

Same-sex couples don't "need" that piece of paper or society's approval to have a loving home, but it sure makes things easier. Everything changes with marriage -- people look at you differently, as if your family is suddenly "real."

And in both situations, no one else's family is diminished, but instead all families are strengthened by the additional bonds forged.

Posted by: tjc | Sep 24, 2008 11:20:29 AM

8. STEVE H

You're exactly the type of guy who I bet will continue to go wherever you want because the guys are hot and the drinks are cheap.

I apologised in advance.

Posted by: Derek Washington | Sep 24, 2008 11:43:00 AM

9. Btw, I'm sorry if I offended people by going off subject but I think this (and all Towleroad posts) is directly related to spending our gay dollars in places that support republicans and McCain. He is against gay adoptions. The Owners of The Eagle in Las Vegas support him as do the owners of the local bath house which is owned by or supported by MANHUNT. (Not Hawks, they're gay.).It's important to know who you give your money to. It's the trickle down effect. Do you want your $ to go to republicans to help get elected bigots in Fla.?

Steve H - I apologize going off on you, that wasn't very adult of me.

Posted by: Derek Washington | Sep 24, 2008 11:58:29 AM

10. I don't know why exactly but that story just made me tear up. At work.

Posted by: Joe Mama | Sep 24, 2008 12:11:31 PM

11. Fantastic! Congratulations to the family. It's a powerful thing to have the judge declare you blood parents. Much love and happiness to them. I agree with Dawson, is there a registry?

Posted by: Aaron | Sep 24, 2008 12:25:47 PM

12. The only proper response to that story and that photo is "Awwwwwwwwwwwwww."

Posted by: Jordan | Sep 24, 2008 12:51:50 PM

13. DAWSON, great idea! Anyone know how we can contact them?

Posted by: sexyback | Sep 24, 2008 4:28:30 PM

14. Andy, I agree with Dawson and Sexyback. Could you, please, coordinate contacting the happy family so we do not overwhelm them with multiple e-mails?

Posted by: rudy | Sep 24, 2008 5:42:24 PM