John McCain | Log Cabin Republicans | News | Patrick Sammon | Republican Party

BigGayDeal.com

Log Cabin President Patrick Sammon Defends McCain Endorsement

Patrick Sammon, the President of the Log Cabin Republicans, appeared on CNN to defend the group's endorsement yesterday of John McCain for President.

Sammonp_2By the way, the McCain campaign also yesterday accepted that endorsement. Said McCain National Political Director Mike DuHaime: "On behalf of Senator McCain and the campaign, thank you for this endorsement. Sen. McCain is running an inclusive campaign and he’ll have an inclusive administration [as president]."

As I noted yesterday, McCain doesn't even know what the acronym LGBT stands for. He also doesn't believe gays are fit to adopt children, supports a ban on gays in the military, is worried if his clothing looks too gay, isn't sure if condoms stop the spread of HIV, thinks same-sex marriage ceremonies are okay as long as they're just pretend, and has promised right-wing religious groups that he'll start speaking out more vocally against LGBT causes.

Watch Sammon's appearance, AFTER THE JUMP...

Previously
Log Cabin Republicans Endorse 'Maverick' John McCain for President [tr]

Comments

1. Why does Towleroad bother even featuring LCR? What's the point? If Fred Phelps ran as a Republican from Kansas, they would support him. Until they do something newsworthy, like dissolving from lack of membership, let's move on to something really important, like how Levy done clean up real nice like. (sarcasm)

Posted by: St. Theresa of Avila | Sep 4, 2008 12:43:02 AM

2. I choked on my drink and water came out of my nose when he used the "fiscal responsibility" line. Yeah Republicans sure are ones to talk about fiscal responsibility. If he really cared about fiscal responsibility, he should be looking to people who know how to balance a budget.

Posted by: David | Sep 4, 2008 1:11:04 AM

3. LCR are CRAZY....They say republicans support gay marriage and equality ??? are you kidding me ? aren't they the ones tryign to make us 2nd class citizens? let me get this str8 ....hasn't it been 8yrs of Bush ? Patrick Sammon how do you sleep at night? How much money you get pay to speak lies ?? SHAME SHAME SHAME SHAME ON YOU....You are a PIG! this is the LGBT community you are selling, these are the people that accept you and you go turn your back on us to make money ? greedy PIG!~

Posted by: Bosie | Sep 4, 2008 1:28:02 AM

4. I'm sick of reading about these LCR trust-fund snobs. Can't we just send them to the dust bin of history? Meanwhile, where is Anne Coulter? Is no one suprised that she has been off the radar for the past few months?

Posted by: Mike Shackleford | Sep 4, 2008 1:51:46 AM

5. RB

really?

You do know what a community organizer is, right? (noun verb Guilliani and Palin both mocked community organizers)

List of things community organizers do

1- check on the elderly and make sure they have food and bills are paid

2- get kids from non church families to church on sundays

3- organize crime watch

4- get out the vote

Uhm, a reporter who read the transcripts said "there is something that is going to ruin them. I don't want to say what it is because they might remove it."

Bet what that was?

The attack on comunity organizers = their own base!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! majority of community organizers are church folk who organize to help their community of church folk

Jesus himself (as an atheist = a myth BUT) a community organizer

They showed themselves to be typicaly out of touch. They don't get anything about the common folk

add in that the focus groups are saying "too sarcastic"

Going to go out on a limb here....... negative bounce after repub convention.

:-)

Posted by: Jimmyboyo | Sep 4, 2008 2:19:24 AM

6. PS

PTA members are considered community organizers

organize non pta families of students (the majority) to help students and schools, raise money for sports equipment, new books, etc.

ROFLMAO

So out of touch that they don't realize they shot themselves in the foot condemning their own freaking base sitting at home saying "hey mabel, didn't you organize the community last week to paint the pastor's widow's house?"

LOL

Bye bye repubs

Posted by: Jimmyboyo | Sep 4, 2008 2:39:35 AM

7. I agree with his last point - "ultimately, it would be impossible to achieve [gay and lesbian rights] unless there's support from both Republicans and Democrats". Unfortunately, the LCR doesn't put their money where their mouth is. By supporting McCain, they do exactly the opposite from what they say they want.

Also, anyone who wants the free market in health care is, at best, misguided.

Posted by: Eric | Sep 4, 2008 3:25:18 AM

8. I can't understand this. With their record on ANY gay rights the republican party disagrees. How can any person side? It makes me wonder if its just about their own exposure..... so sad for all of us...Do they realize? How sad for them to meet secretly and not make if publicly. Damn......Leaving your own?

Posted by: will | Sep 4, 2008 3:54:25 AM

9. U make me sad to be a gay american. Thanks for speaking
    out with your .2 percent

Posted by: jim | Sep 4, 2008 4:00:02 AM

10. BAKELY,

I don't know how often you read this blog, but RB frequently posts here. He identifies as a Republican and can usually be counted on to chime in defending Republicans, the very same people who are responsible for continuing the discrimination and oppression of LGBT Americans. I think he deserves to experience the worst of the same misery he is helping perpetuate for other queer folk when he supports hatemongers like Palin.

xo,
    peterparker

Posted by: peterparker | Sep 4, 2008 5:28:00 AM

11. Boycott all LCRs. After a few years with dick, they will soon change their tune. It shouldn't be that hard, they are all pasty, out of shape, middle aged white guys anyway.

Posted by: chadnnocal | Sep 4, 2008 7:04:34 AM

12. I couldn't disagree with Samson and the LCR any more than I do. But, hurling insults at him is pointless.

For standing up for our rights within the Big Tent of hate, he's showing more balls than most of us.

Posted by: Greenpoint Guy | Sep 4, 2008 7:16:58 AM

13. I first heard of gay republicans in San Francisco in 1977. There were several gay candidates running for supervisor in the district that Harvey Milk ran. Kevin Wadsworth, was one of them and his campaign brochure had himself drapped with American Flags. His meetings with supporters took place in mansions. They were known as California Young Republicans, before they changed their name to "Log Cabin". I'm willing to bet you that most of their members today are rich and white, and own their own home or business. I doubt that any "Log Cabin" member ever received food stamps!

Posted by: Jerry Pritikin | Sep 4, 2008 7:38:12 AM

14. every time I hear a "market based approach to healthcare" I want to go postal. I was uninsured for years and lived in fear of getting a cold. I am pretty much tied to a job I hate just for the benefits. It's practically slavery. Healthcare is not a commodity.

Posted by: Alex | Sep 4, 2008 8:07:01 AM

15. Peterparker, typical! More of your typical hate spewing speach. While I hope that you stay in California, I would never hope ANY of things that you wish for me.

I am amazed at the LGBT community and the things that have been said about Palin here! She has been called a bad mother for not staying home with her special needs child. A bad mother because she was not at home and her daughter got pregnant! Are you kidding me! Where are the feminist? Why are they not just as outraged as I am at her treatment?! The media has been so sexist is makes me sick!

Let me get this straight, Palin should stay at home, be barefoot and pregnant! Is that what I am hearing from the magic left? Is that how the "liberals" feel women should be treated? How dare she achieve the American dream because she is a woman! How dare she "go to work" outside the home, be successful because she is a mother. Really, are you hearing this crap? Talk about sexist crap from the LGBT community?

This woman has an approval rating of 86% as a governor! Name ONE other elected official OR community organizer that has an approval rating that high. Name just one. Obama doesn't enjoy an approval rating that high in Illinois!

I have said many times that I do not support abortion. Yes Peterparker, I post regularly and I have been consistent in my posts. I have personal beliefs that I cannot get past. I cannot listen to Obama say that if his daughters were to get pregnant he would not "burden them with a mistake"! I have NO respect for him and will not support him. How many times do I have to say what I believe in before you get it? I know what I believe in and what is important to me and NO not all of my beliefs include lower taxes so I can be "get rich".

Afterall, regardless of the tax code, rich people do things that make themselves richer and poor people do things to make themselves poorer. The difference between dems and repubs is we do not try to protect people from themselves. We do not believe that the masses are so stupid they cannot think for themselves. You are so much a one issue voter that you cannot see daylight or the real world! You have not idea how Obama and Pelosi's energy policy is destroying the working class with gas prices they cannot afford! Yeah, I think I know what it is like to live at the lower end of the financial chain than you do. I have the things I have in life because I worked for them. We were poor and I never forgot that! No, I would never wish your list of plagues on you and I am ok with you wishing so for me. It is typical of your "character".

Take care

Posted by: RB | Sep 4, 2008 8:35:12 AM

16. Well, Patrick Sammon, I hope John McSame did not make too much of a mess while you were kissing his ass... UGH!! LCR's make me sick! They say on their website: "Alaska Governor Sarah Palin can help Sen. McCain win this election by appealing to independent and young voters. She’s a mainstream Republican who will unite the Party and serve John McCain well as Vice President. Gov. Palin is an inclusive Republican who will help Sen. McCain appeal to gay and lesbian voters." What kind of drugs are these fools on? There is NOTHING mainstream about this rabid barracuda, and she is CERTAINLY not a friend of gay people (her record speaks for itself if you would care to review it, idiots!), I don't know where they got that from... probably pulled it out their asses to make room for their heads...

Posted by: CK | Sep 4, 2008 8:41:58 AM

17. LCR's are self loathing fags.. it all boils down to that. I personally know two of the higher ups in the organization and they both tried to commit suicide in their teens. Now they are in their 30's and still havingh trouble dealing with there homosexuality. They can't afford higher taxes because their shrink bills are so high.

Posted by: Tucker | Sep 4, 2008 9:15:33 AM

18. SHUN ALL LCR's fellow LGBT people.....SHUN them...exclude them in every facet of LGBT life...let's see if they can COZY up further to the GOP!! SHUN THEM! ....and IF somehow some doomsday scenerio EVER happens for LGBT Americans (Under GOP rule) ..let's make sure ALL LCR's are FIRST in go to INTERMENT camps/Gas chambers!

Posted by: Disgusted American | Sep 4, 2008 9:17:36 AM

19. RB:

You post this and you dare accuse the left of sexism? Let me ask you this, WILL YOU EVER GET PREGNANT? I think not (I assume you're male). I don't think if one has a penis one can even presume to tell a woman what to do with her uterus. If I think about any of the women in my life faced with an unwanted pregnancy and no ability to safely make a choice that will AFFECT THE REST OF THEIR LIVES (and these are smart, intelligent women with rich and vibrant careers), it makes my blood boil. I think it's analagous to any politician telling me who I can or can't have sex with, love or marry.

Secondly, the left does not dislike Palin because she's a woman, but it's because she's a conservative, creationist, bible-thumping, warmongering, anti-environment, homophobic, anti-choice politician.

Sarah Palin has brought her oh-so-commendable motherhood skills to the table and has touted her neanderthal anti sex-ed views . . . and I'm sorry, once you do that and then PARADE YOUR PREGNANT TEENAGE DAUGHTER, honey, the gloves are off. She brought this scrutiny upon herself.

I really hope she has a run in with a pregnant polar bear in the Alaskan wilderness sometime soon.

Posted by: Alex | Sep 4, 2008 10:21:42 AM

20. Alex, do you have children? Are you a parent?

When we discover that being gay is actually genetic, and we will, how long do you think it will take for a "test" to be developed? How long do you think it will take for all of those "bible-thumpers" as you call them to line up and abort their babies SIMPLY BECAUSE THEY ARE GAY?! It will be like the Chinese having a girl...Nope, GOT TO GO! Then, and only then, will the LGBT community take note of abortion!

Again, Alex, are you a parent?

Posted by: RB | Sep 4, 2008 10:30:42 AM

21. RB, please die already.

Posted by: Nick | Sep 4, 2008 10:41:28 AM

22. I am not a parent and I don't plan to be and therefore that is why I believe that women should have a CHOICE.

And if Bible thumpers start aborting their gay babies, WHAT DOES THAT SAY ABOUT THEM? Seriously.

Plus, being gay will never be linked to genetics, because NEWS FLASH, human sexuality is a complex amalagam of biological and sociological influences and NEWS FLASH not everyone develops the same sexuality in the same way.

Anti-choice politicians are often the same people who will support denying a woman contraception at a pharmacy. It is not about saving babies, it is about telling women what to do with their bodies--which is all about having as many white heterosexual Christian Republican babies as their vaginas will allow who will grow up to work at multinational corporations because that's what's good for Amerrikuh.

Posted by: Alex | Sep 4, 2008 10:41:38 AM

23. RB,

do you have a liberal gay brother? And have you been posting at C & L?

Posted by: Jason (A) | Sep 4, 2008 10:44:18 AM

24. Commandment #11: Thou shalt not attempt to reason with gay Repugnants. They are beyond reason. Anyone exuding the unmistakable stench of self-loathing and solipsism always is.

Commandment #12: Thou shalt not befriend gay Repugnants. Friendship requires affirmation and altruism which, in the final analysis, the self-loathing and the solipsistic are incapable of. As they are the friend of your enemy, trying to be "open minded" about them, "agreeing to disagree," makes YOU a co-conspirator in your own second-class citizenship and victimization. Or do you often invite serial killers to dinner? Alternative actions include: shunning them generally and using every opportunity that presents itself to reduce them to the isolated, primitive species that they are. Call them out among mutual acquaintances as the vile, parasitic, queer Quislings that they are. Refuse to stand or sit anyone near them in gay bars and other public places. Post flyers with their photos everywhere you can, labeled UNWANTED. Refuse to hire them. Fire them. Etc., etc. After all, it's your Constitutional right.

Posted by: Michael Bedwell | Sep 4, 2008 11:15:02 AM

25. Silly kids

Can't you see it's has nothing to do with being gay. That is just a part of who we are (i.e. blue eyes, curly hair, etc.). We should be worried about our taxes going to the wrong causes. And the war should go on until we can say that Iraq is a safe Democratic government. We should put aside our homosexuality until the country is... Ouch (wait is my brain hemorrhaging.)

In reality, though I understand LCRs platform, unfortunately their own party doesn't and won't. It's like dating someone on the down low. They use you but don't love you. They are like dogs at the feet of very cruel masters. They get kicked but still lick their masters face.

But then again they could be doing for publicity, knowing it would cause an uproar in the gay community.

Until Republicans can make homosexuality a non-issue instead of making it a divisive tactic, LCR should abstain from endorsing them until they can get those changes made from the inside.

Posted by: Crude oil is yummy | Sep 4, 2008 11:36:15 AM