Matt Lucas | News | Rosie O'Donnell | Television

Rosie O'Donnell Visits 'Fat Fighters' on Little Britain USA

Fatfighters

A group called the West Hollywood Gay and Lesbian Alliance is apparently up in arms over Little Britain USA, the American adaptation of the British series created by gay comic Matt Lucas and straight comic David Walliams. They say: "This is the most politically incorrect, offensive and obnoxious material ever seen in this country."

And that's the show's intent, as its many gay fans, including Rosie O'Donnell, know well.

On HBO's upcoming adaptation Little Britain USA, O'Donnell pays a visit to Marjorie and her 'Fat Fighters' weight-loss group. Marjorie refers to O'Donnell as a 'big lesbian lady' and spews the typical insults to her clients.

Says O'Donnell: "You know what Marjorie? I really cannot believe how you treat people! You're absolutely rude. You're homophobic, you're racist, you're meant to help these people and you keep ridiculing them about their size. It's disgusting."

Marjorie's reply to O'Donnell is about as rude and repulsive as we've come to expect from her.

Can anyone verify that the West Hollywood Gay and Lesbian Alliance actually exists? If not, we'll assume it's a PR stunt and be pleased there's still some sanity out there.

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP (it starts at about 4:45)...

(via guytvblog)

Comments

1. When did gay people lose their sense of humor? Of course LB is offensive -- it's an equal opportunity offender. It's fabulous. Especially Marjorie Dawes.

Posted by: David | Sep 15, 2008 10:22:08 AM

2. I watched the screener of LB USA on Saturday and it's hysterical! Yes, it's offensive and incorrect, but they are an equal opportunity offender... no one is safe, and that's what makes it so funny. I loved it and will be watching HBO every Sunday night... Little Britian and True Blood... reminds me of when SATC and Sopranos were on the same night. Sunday night has great television again!

Posted by: Wayne | Sep 15, 2008 10:31:21 AM

3. Wait, is the whole thing scripted? Rosie was in on the joke, right?

Posted by: Max | Sep 15, 2008 10:31:44 AM

4. Yes, Max. She was in on the whole thing.

Posted by: Allnen | Sep 15, 2008 10:34:51 AM

5. LOL I love it. I'm definitely checking this show out, too funny. We need a good laugh at ourselves these days.

Posted by: CJ | Sep 15, 2008 10:40:17 AM

6. WEHO should be less worried about LBUSA and concern themselves with their own backyard. A gay stereotype in one zip code.

And Max is a perfect example of gay people missingt he joke...of course Rosie is in on it.

Posted by: Mike | Sep 15, 2008 10:40:53 AM

7. Video is no longer available...???

Posted by: SeanR | Sep 15, 2008 10:48:07 AM

8. "This is the most politically incorrect, offensive and obnoxious material ever seen in this country."

Really, the most offensive thing EVER seen in this country? This group needs to get out more. The whole point of the show is to play with political correctness. They skewer themselves (Matt's a fat gay man who does fat gay jokes) along with everyone else. And Rosie was quite definitely in on the joke. (Tho, sadly, I can't see for myself since the clip is gone?)

Posted by: Ernie | Sep 15, 2008 10:48:36 AM

9. THat is some of the funniest shit I have ever seen. We have to learn to take a joke.

Posted by: chadnnocal | Sep 15, 2008 10:54:55 AM

10. OMG, that's filmed where I live, here in Wilmington, NC! I had no idea they were doing that here! I just noticed landmarks throughout the opening sequence--how cool!

Posted by: Michael W. | Sep 15, 2008 10:57:18 AM

11. We own the DVD's for the British version. I have probably watched each episode 20 times. Some of the funniest stuff I have ever seen.

Political correctness is way overated.

Get a life WEHO!

Posted by: CB | Sep 15, 2008 11:03:44 AM

12. HILARIOUS!!! Build a bridge(to nowhere)and get over it. If that's the "most politically incorrect, offensive and obnoxious material," they've ever seen...they need to watch way more TV.

Posted by: cdotpearl | Sep 15, 2008 11:12:56 AM

13. HILARIOUS!!! Build a bridge(to nowhere)and get over it. If that's the "most politically incorrect, offensive and obnoxious material," they've ever seen...they need to watch way more TV.

Posted by: cdotpearl | Sep 15, 2008 11:13:42 AM

14. "This is the most politically incorrect, offensive and obnoxious material ever seen in this country."
    - West Hollywood Gay and Lesbian Alliance

Best PR quote ever. If I were HBO I would put this quote in huge letters on ALL the posters and ads for the show.

But seriously, ever? Ever in this country? There are Republican campaign flyers that are far more offensive.

Posted by: Strepsi | Sep 15, 2008 11:14:08 AM

15. Hilarious! This is no different than anything you'd say on Logo's Big Gay Sketch show. I'm so sick of LGBT groups going after the wrong people (GLAAD can you hear me?)

Posted by: JLS | Sep 15, 2008 11:17:23 AM

16. It's hilarious. West Hollywood Alliance needs to unclench.

Posted by: David | Sep 15, 2008 11:26:05 AM

17. Actually, it looks like it was a clever PR quote that's gone nicely viral. I thought something was fishy, and--according to a British website--it seems that there isn't really such a group and that the spokespeople for it don't exist (not Google searchable therefore you don't exist). I'm sure some delicate people will honestly be offended, but perhaps not the "West Hollywood Gay and Lesbian Alliance."

Posted by: Ernie | Sep 15, 2008 11:27:10 AM

18. Yep. This is not GLAAD making the complaint. I think we've been LITTLE BRITAIN-rolled.

Posted by: Joe | Sep 15, 2008 11:36:26 AM

19. If that's the "most politically incorrect, offensive and obnoxious material," they've ever seen... do they turn off the TV when Sarah Palin is on?

Posted by: echovic | Sep 15, 2008 11:42:04 AM

20. YAY! I have all the Little Britain UK series....I'm not sure how the USA version will be, But I will try to watch it.

GREAT FUCKING SHOW!!!! We-HO chill....everytime I go to we-ho there are plenty of drugs going on...they should worry abotu that instead.

Posted by: bosie | Sep 15, 2008 11:56:35 AM

21. I loved this show. I am SO happy it's coming back!!!

Posted by: Brandon | Sep 15, 2008 1:11:25 PM

22. this video is not available in your country.
    again.
    I fucking hate that. Is this the internet, or nationet? I'm so going to pirate that show.

Posted by: ubik | Sep 15, 2008 1:19:56 PM

23. It's pretty clear this was a hoax to drum up interest in the show.

Not only does the WeHo Gay and Lesbian Alliance not exist, but there's no such group as "New York Gay Pride" either - the organization that sponsors NY Pride events is called Heritage of Pride and would have been identified as such in the "article". More here:

Posted by: Jay | Sep 15, 2008 3:31:52 PM

24. as boring as 90% of british comedy shows. random, predictable abuse is so played.

Posted by: brian z | Sep 15, 2008 5:37:01 PM

25. I'm smiling, but I'm eager to see some of the new characters they've come up with. Seeing the familiar ones are a bit like watching Eddie and Patsy meet Roseanne and Jackie. You know what to ultimately expect and wonder how they're going to take you there, but it's all still rather fun.

But again, that's a lot of the brilliance of "Little Britain", IMO. You're just WAITING for that response that's become so familiar it's almost cliched, but by the time you finally get there, it's hysterical all over again.

(And the way they approached that familiarity in the series finale was genius.)

Posted by: Rey | Sep 16, 2008 12:34:15 AM