California | Gay Marriage | George Takei | News | William Shatner

BigGayDeal.com

George Takei Challenges William Shatner to Oppose Prop 8

ET's Thea Andrews talked to George Takei about William Shatner's extended rant attacking former co-star George Takei. Takei tells her that Shatner, in fact, was invited but never responded. He also challenges Shatner to join them in the campaign against Proposition 8.

TakeiSays Takei: "It is absolutely baffling to us because in fact we did invite Bill and we didn't hear from him but it isn't surprising because it's true to his history...He's never responded to an invitation. For instance, every time there was something happy to celebrate amongst us, like getting sa star on Hollywood Blvd - he never showed up, even for [Star Trek creator] Gene Roddenberry. In fact, the most surprising thing is he didn't even show up for Gene Roddenberry's funeral.

"But Billl's ranting and raving is just silliness. What's really important to us right now is Proposition 8, this very discriminatory law that's trying to take away our beautiful marriage. And I have another invitation for Bill, I invite him to join us in voting no and campaigning no on Proposition 8. We'll see how he responds to that!...We welcome him to join us in defeating Proposition 8. No on Proposition 8."

Takei also responds to statements by Shatner that he waited to come out till he was 70:

Says Takei: "I had been out for decades. Bill just didn't know it, I suppose. And the only thing I had not done was talk to the press about it. But I've been active in gay issues, gay organizations. I was even a member of a gay running club. That's where I met Brad. The only thing I hadn't done was talk to the press, and I guess the press defines what is coming out."

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP (and I apologize that it's an 'autoplay' clip - if anybody comes across a YouTube clip that's not autoplay, please let me know and I'll substitute it)...

Comments

1. Shatner is well known for ignoring invitations and for accepting invitations yet failing to attend. For example, The Shat recently failed to appear for a "Giants of Broadcasting" award, despite confirming the day before that he would attend. In addition to being a no-talent actor, he is a miserable human being in how he treats others. The Shat is derisively known as the "black hole" of acting. He is akin to a welder's sink in that he drains the acting ability from those around him.

Posted by: rudy | Oct 23, 2008 8:19:30 AM

2. As far as Shatner voting, did Shatner ever even become a U.S. citizen? As of 2006 I know he said he was terrified of the citizenship test because of his "bad memory".

Posted by: Mike | Oct 23, 2008 8:23:31 AM

3. The only role that I have liked Shatner in is his current gig playing the egotistical, obnoxious, conservative Republican lawyer Denny Crane on Boston Legal. Shatner is excellent in the role because it requires no acting on his part. He just shows up on the set and plays himself. Denny Crane is Bill Shatner without the law degree. Sadly, in his real life, there is no Alan Shore to love him worts and all. Shatner's getting old and probably won't be around much longer. I don't think many will miss him when he's gone, and that is sad. Not a very nice guy from most accounts.

Posted by: Bob R | Oct 23, 2008 8:56:39 AM

4. Heroes come from the unlikeliest places -- LOVE GEORGE TAKEI!

Congratulations to you and your husband -- you are great examples, and I wish you many years of happiness.

Posted by: Strepsi | Oct 23, 2008 9:15:17 AM

5. I wish they would just kiss and make up already. Sounds like George is extending the olive branch. Bill should just take it. Regarding support for Prop 8, there the FRICK is OBAMA. He should be making an ad AGAINST PROP 8. He is going to win California regardless, so what is the deal. All he would need to do is make a campaign stop in California and speak strongly against the initiative. That message would be EVERYWHERE. Of course, McCain and Palin would try to make some points about it, but it would get no traction. The vast majority of straights don't care. They are watching the economy. We need his help to counteract this perceived lack of equality support in the black community - which frankly to me is puzzling. And for that matter Arnold needs to come out, in addition to Boxer and Feinstein. Everyone needs to be having press releases and conferences. Call their offices, send them email!

Posted by: Mike | Oct 23, 2008 9:45:06 AM

6. I guess I'll be the lone voice to say it: I think Shatner's terrific. I don't know what he's like to work with so if you tell me he's a pompous ass, I'll take your word for it. But I've found him to be entertaining & i appreciate him for that. Whether it's as a lead in Boston Legal or a cameo in that DeNiro/Murphy film "showtime," he's fun to watch. If he's such a rotten human being, he sure seems to be able to mock himself with ease. Lighten up, haters; i'm not the manners police, i don't care how he treats invitations. But if he's on screen, i'm likely to watch. I dig him.

Posted by: Daniel | Oct 23, 2008 11:14:23 AM

7. George has indeed been out for at least a couple decades. When I was a member of Front Runners in Tampa, he ran with us one Saturday morning back in 1990 or 1991 while he was in town for a Star Trek-related event. Our group's organizers had invited him, knowing that he was a member of the LA chapter, and he accepted. He couldn't have been kinder or more gracious, and even took a picture with the group.

Posted by: Matt | Oct 23, 2008 11:19:51 AM

8. i'm not into star trek or anything but every time i see or read about George, i come away more impressed by what a lovely person of integrity he is. i wish him many blissful years ahead with his sweetie.

Posted by: Bebo | Oct 23, 2008 11:34:40 AM

9. DANIEL You are not alone! I love Shatner's crazee ass!

He's like that old queen sitting in the corner all alone at a piano bar. When you talk to him (after he tells you to buy him a GrassHopper) he has the best stories.Some of them even involving a member of the Minneli family!

I'm so sick of generic celebs. He's not one. Thank God!

George, keep the Flag Flying! Love you too!

Btw, I hope all of you here who blog have Towleroad linked to your blogs. Where else can you find out the latest on Lance Bass's love life (I'm obsessed with him. Hate/love that one), Sperm Washing, Dead Bears, crazy politicians and god only knows what else?

Posted by: Derek Washington | Oct 23, 2008 1:34:24 PM

10. Shatner is a loony old murderer. How could anyone ever take the words serious, of a man who drugged his wife, drowned her in there swimming pool, then called it a suicide?

Posted by: WilliamShatnersDeadWife | Oct 23, 2008 9:06:10 PM

11. I would find it funny if after all this time it turns out that everyone either had the wrong address for Shatner or that people repeatedly put the wrong address on his letters.

Posted by: Garst | Oct 24, 2008 5:20:16 AM

12. Hooray for George! He is such a good man. VOTE NO on PROP 8

Posted by: VOTE NO | Oct 25, 2008 12:18:25 PM

13. Indeed, George has been out for decades. I have known he was gay for at least 20 years (and I have no special connections or inside knowledge). I think Shatner's a hoot, but he's way off base for calling George out on this. I also think he needs to go through the pile of unopened mail on his desk to see if he really did get an invitation and, if so, apologize just as publicly as he complained.

Posted by: Major Tom | Oct 25, 2008 10:03:37 PM