Alaska | Gay Rights | News | Republican Party | Sarah Palin

BigGayDeal.com

LGBT Alaskans Come Out Against Sarah Palin

The Human Rights Campaign gave me a preview of a piece they've just posted online in which HRC's Michael Cole travels to Wasilla, Alaska to see if he can find any LGBT residents living there who are willing to talk about Governor Sarah Palin and her values.

He was unsuccessful in finding Sarah Palin's gay friend.

WasillaHe did, however, put together a short documentary featuring some of the town's gay and lesbian citizens. He reports that many of them were too afraid to go on camera. Said one lesbian who's a teacher in Wasilla: "All it takes is one family to make life very difficult."

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Jaime Rodriguez, a 27-year-old gay Wasilla resident told Cole: "Sarah was a member of the Assembly of God church in Wasilla which are pretty much the most fundamentalist anti-gay groups in Alaska...When Sarah became mayor, the way she tells the story she was just asking rhetorical questions of the library about censorship but this was while the church was actively picketing to have several gay children's books removed from the shelf. Pastor, I am Gay was one of the books that the Assembly of God church wanted to get off the shelves and lock up. That's my experience of her as a mayor. She does the same thing as a governor for the state and it scares the crap out of me what might happen if she becomes the Vice President. Cause she'll do it to the country. I think she's worse than Dick Cheney, and a better shot."

Cole also talked to the author of the book Pastor, I am Gay, who says that Palin "on three occasions...talked to the librarian about removing certain books."

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Year to Win 2008 [human rights campaign]

You may also want to revisit Wasilla resident Ryan Quinn's piece we published last month, "Sarah Palin was My Mayor". Quinn is a gay writer living in New York who lived in Wasilla when Palin presided there.

Comments

1. If there was any lingering questions about Palin's feelings on GLBT people, they've been answered. Also, the HRC reporter is pretty cute.

Posted by: Mark | Oct 1, 2008 4:07:01 PM

2. Is it me or the video has been taken down?

Posted by: Shabaka | Oct 1, 2008 4:25:35 PM

3. This woman just scares the piss out of me. The more I learn about her, the more horrible I feel. I thought the Theocracy under the Idiot was wretched, I can only imagine how bad this country will be if she is ever raised to a higher office. It's like she's a female David Duke in remission.

I pray to [fill in deity of choice] that enough people feel that way and see how horrible this can be, that this ticket won't gain back any momentum.

Posted by: Rad | Oct 1, 2008 4:31:12 PM

4. I wish gay writers and publishers would put their work online (maybe like itunes or something like it) and put this whole "Book Banning" nonsense out of business. Too much time and energy wasted on that mess. Who the hell goes to a library anymore anyway? I get all the news I need from Towleroad!

Posted by: alfredo | Oct 1, 2008 4:45:18 PM

5. Okay,it's working now...

The therapist sums it up quite nicely by saying that having someone at that high a level who supports "reparative therapy" is a terrifying thought.

I guess you can start packing and move north of the border if she and McCain get elected, but then again we're closer to Alaska than most of you are. Does that mean we're next on her list?

Posted by: Shabaka | Oct 1, 2008 5:06:40 PM

6. In the interest of accuracy, I believe that while Palin attended the Assembly of God Church frequently, she was not a registered member.

Still terrified of her, but wanting to be accurate.

Posted by: Dan B | Oct 1, 2008 5:08:33 PM

7. "I think she's worse than Dick Cheney, and a better shot."

Pure gold. That pretty much sums it up right there.

Posted by: The Milkman | Oct 1, 2008 5:17:00 PM

8. Maybe Palin's alleged gay friend can't be found because Palin is L-Y-I-N-G yet again in the public sphere. It wouldn't be the first time Sarah Liar has done so in this campaign.

Posted by: Peter | Oct 1, 2008 7:55:05 PM

9. Maybe Sarah's "gay friend" is Michael Buse. Either way, she scares the crap out of me.

Posted by: gayjaybird | Oct 1, 2008 8:37:36 PM

10. Palin Will Bring God To America - People Will Pray McCain Doesn't Die

McCain/Palin ... truly a bridge to nowhere.

When the Republicans offered up McCain/Palin I said "Thanks, but no thanks!"

What Palin lacks in brains McCain makes up for in age.

When Katie Couric asked about the "new deal" Palin said , "no it's your turn I dealt the last hand".

Posted by: Michael | Oct 2, 2008 6:03:48 PM

11. Her gay friend is Gov. Linda Lingle of Hawaii.

Posted by: BLAIR | Oct 4, 2008 11:58:12 PM