California | Crime | Gay Marriage | Mormon | News

BigGayDeal.com

Mormon Thugs Terrorize Gay Man in Public City Park Over Prop 8

Mormontemple_2

I received this report from one of our readers last night:

Sanclemente"I live in San Clemente, California and this happened to me last Saturday night. I was coming home late from dinner with friends and I saw a bunch of 'Yes on 8' signs in the city park on my way home. I know that campaign signs cannot be placed on city property and I feel like if the city did not put them there, then they are trash and anyone can pick them up (it’s my park too). However, this was a trap and as soon as I got near the signs, about 10 or 12 young men emerged from the shadows – soaking me with water balloons. They formed a circle around me and one of them discharged a fire extinguisher in my face and all over me. I was terrified for my life as I was seriously outnumbered. Several of them were wearing Brigham Young sweatshirts and had 'LDS' clearly displayed on their t-shirts. Fortunately, they did not hurt me (other than the burning in my eyes), but they took off with their signs before the police arrived. I filed a report, but the perpetrators were not caught (I suggest they visit the local temple this Sunday)."

Californians Against Hate released figures on Monday regarding the amount of money Mormons have donated to the anti-gay marriage efforts:

"Despite tough economic times, an amazing 59,000 Mormon families have succumbed to substantial pressure from church elders, and have given huge amounts of money to California's Yes on 8 campaign. These Mormon families have given a staggering $18.6 million since June 1st and the total grows daily. This represents 77% of all money raised and 88% of all individual money raised (not including funds from the big out of state organizations). In Arizona where a gay marriage ban is back on the ballot after losing just two years ago, Mormon families have contributed nearly all of the $6.9 million to the Yes on 102 campaign."

And now they're resorting to physical violence and intimidation to get their point across, apparently.

Donate to the 'No on Prop 8' campaign HERE.

Comments

1. Of course we have mobbish behavior, since we have ALLOWED society to put OUR civil rights up to a popular vote. Please wake me up from this nightmare.

Posted by: john bisceglia | Oct 23, 2008 8:51:10 AM

2. Of course the Mormons are worried about the marriage issue - clearly marriage is a union between a man in his 80s and 3 to 15 unwilling pre-pubescent girls, right? Ugh.

Posted by: Jeff | Oct 23, 2008 9:12:15 AM

3. Five or six teams of Mormon missionaries, no doubt.

Posted by: voet | Oct 23, 2008 10:13:43 AM

4. We're starting to see Evangelicals question the wisdom of proposition 8.

Posted by: Joe | Oct 23, 2008 10:32:13 AM

5. John,

Yes, our Civil rights are up for a vote; however, I wouldn't say that our community actually Allowed it. The No on 8 community fought every attempt to get this on the ballot but it was forced through.

At least we were successful in getting the wording on the ballot to read "eliminates the right of same-sex couples to marry" which is accurate. Most amendments just have language that defines marriage as between a man and a woman.

We are hoping that California voters will have a hard time "eliminating a right" rather than just defining marriage. It is a small victory regarding the ballot, but we are hopeful that it will turn into an overall victory on Nov 4.

Posted by: CJ | Oct 23, 2008 11:33:14 AM

6. This is outrageous. Assault?
    I'm spreading the word on this story to my friends, just so they realize to what violence and ignorance the world is really arriving.

Posted by: Ben | Oct 23, 2008 11:45:05 AM

7. Let's pack up this whole gay thing and move to northern europe. c'mon everyone.

Posted by: James Anthony | Oct 23, 2008 11:51:47 AM

8. Seriously, these intolerant, faith based assholes only need about 20 years before they annihilate each other. It's better that we're watching from across the pond.

Posted by: James Anthony | Oct 23, 2008 11:53:26 AM

9. Seriously, these intolerant, faith based assholes only need about 20 years before they annihilate each other. It's better that we're watching from across the pond.

Posted by: James Anthony | Oct 23, 2008 11:56:11 AM

10. I live in Nevada and have been surrounded by Mormons my whole life. I can't tell you how many gay Mormons I know, but its plenty, including many who came out after being married and having children. So obviously the homophobia preached by them does not even work on their own members! You can't change what people are, but evidently this cult believes you can ostracize and spew hate and make them go away. I pray that Californians will not be swayed by the money they are pumping into the state to follow their hateful beliefs...and yes, I said cult earlier because that's exactly what it is.

Posted by: Andy | Oct 23, 2008 12:52:49 PM

11. Mormon thugs?! I lol'd at that.

but yea thats f'ed up.

Posted by: Kurt | Oct 23, 2008 12:58:07 PM

12. Don't move or touch campaign signs. If the cops see you, you'll likely get arrested. In most places you would have to pay cops or park workers to remove the signs for you.

Posted by: anon | Oct 23, 2008 1:47:37 PM

13. No shock, in my state, Arizona, they run the show in state government and display their hate of anyone not of the cultist mind set freely. But, to think that they could actually terrorize anyone is creepy, what did they do quote the book of Mormon? That would scare the heck out of anyone.

And, its time to give this sort of cult/religion a second look as well, they are exerting more power with the anti-gay marriage trash than the typical Christian Evangelical bigot, they are doing it with loads of money, which seems to be doing all the talking.

Posted by: Jeff | Oct 23, 2008 1:48:52 PM

14. CJ - I understand what you're saying, but my concern is the PRECEDENT this sets for the next 30 years.

1. A most fundamental civil right may be up for a vote. (?!?)

2. The side that raises the most cash will (probably) "win" the civil right...or not. (?!?)

3. Tax-compliance says "it's OK"; we know we don't deserve it yet....

Posted by: John Bisceglia | Oct 23, 2008 1:58:31 PM

15. Some Evangelicals are telling people to Vote NO on Proposition 8

Posted by: Joe | Oct 23, 2008 2:01:00 PM

16. Violent Mormon thugs in San Clemente -- now I've heard everything. Holy crap.

Posted by: Frank L | Oct 23, 2008 3:53:05 PM

17. Thanks for posting my story Andy. I just wanted to get the story out there because the Yes on 8 campaign has been crying about dirty tactics on our side as if to say that they are without reproach.

Incidentally, I have checked with our City Clerk and the Municipal code states that political signs are not allowed on city property; however, it is not clear on who is or is not allowed to remove them. It becomes a question of who owns the sign once it is placed on city property. However, I still feel like I have as much right to the city park as anyone, but I will watch my back better next time.

Safest bet is to just not get caught, but be aware of armed Mormons hiding in the bushes.

Posted by: San Clemente | Oct 23, 2008 5:04:44 PM

18. Buy a paintball gun, load it with bright yellow paintballs, carry it with you next time you're in the park. When you're confronted, use them as targets.

And by "them" I mean illegally placed campaign signs. And Mormons.

Posted by: i before e | Oct 23, 2008 6:11:44 PM

19. Who do these fucking Morons, oops, I mean Mormons, think they are? Please tell me this cult does not get tax exempt status. If they do, it should be revoked following their outsized and unwelcome meddling on the Prop. 8 campaign. It is insane that this is even up for a vote in California, of all places, and even more so that it is close.

Posted by: So Left I'm Right | Oct 23, 2008 6:16:27 PM

20. Hey, that story is awful! But one question... How did you know they were Mormons and, lets face it: Not all Mormons are like that, so you can't exactly judge all Mormons by what those ones did to you.
    I know loads of Mormons, they are really nice, but maybe that's the ones in England... :S
    In fact I have an American Mormon cousin, she is so nice and she is married with 6 kids. So Maybe the ones you came across were loonies...Or maybe they were jealous of you for being gay??
    respectfully etc.

Posted by: Cheese! | Nov 1, 2008 4:22:15 PM

21. The LA news stations have on tape a bunch of samoan mormon thugs ripping up protester signs and beating up people IN FRONT of the mormon temple in LA. NO ONE IS REPORTING ON THIS even though it's on tape!!

someone needs to rip this video and get it out there virally!!!

http://cbs2.com/video/?id=82533@kcbs.dayport.com, and also on the abc7.com report on protests and myfoxla. they all show the different Mormons involved.

Posted by: thyner | Nov 7, 2008 6:11:06 PM

22. I don't believe that story at all.

Why so much anger at Mormons? Catholics aren't too fond of gays either. Where is the anger at the Catholics?

Posted by: Amy | Aug 19, 2009 12:10:35 PM