California | Gay Marriage | News

BigGayDeal.com

Proposition 8 Update: Internal Polling Shows Dead Heat
Urgent Help Still Needed

road.jpg This morning I got an update from the "no on Prop 8" campaign. Based on their donation link tracking, TOWLEROAD readers have given a total of $77,643.00 !!!!

While that number amazes me, unfortunately, there are still 6 crucial days left in this battle. According to Geoff Kors of Equality California, unless the "No on Prop 8" campaign raises $3 million in the next three days we will likely lose because of a surge in funding from the other side.

And you can make your voice heard with a contribution, or an increase in what you've already given, by donating HERE.

road.jpg This Saturday, several ultra-right-wing religious groups will be gathering 70,000 evangelicals together in San Diego at Qualcomm Stadium for 'The Call' -- a mega-church event that will mobilize thousands of out-of-state
volunteers to get out the vote in California. This is the craziness we're up against. The Courage Campaign is looking to match them volunteer-for volunteer. ign up here to volunteer.

road.jpg You may be tired of hearing about the battle against Proposition 8, but here's why it's still important: "With Democrat Barack Obama favored to win the White House race in California, the state's biggest election day battle is shaping up to be a referendum seeking to ban gay marriage." And the implications nationally could not be greater.

Mcclintockroad.jpg State Senator Tom McClintock spoke at a rally for 'Yes on 8' yesterday at the Capitol in Sacramento that drew 300 people. You may remember that last week McClintock said, "Lincoln asked, 'If you call a tail a leg, how many legs has a dog? The answer is four. Calling a tail a leg doesn’t make it one. And calling a homosexual partnership a marriage doesn’t make it one."

road.jpg Here's a list of editorial boards across the state of California which have rejected Proposition 8.

road.jpg A blogging campaign called Write to Marry Day has engaged nearly 300 bloggers to spread the word about "No on Prop 8" today. You can see them all here.

Templeton_3road.jpg Californians Against Hate sent an update this morning highlighting the largest donors to the "Yes on 8" campaign. They include Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania's John Templeton, chairman of the John M. Templeton Foundation, based in West Conshohocken. He and his wife have contributed $1 million to help pass the anti-gay ballot measure.

Elsaroad.jpg Another big donor to "Yes on 8" is Elsa Prince Broekhuizen of Holland, Michigan. This old bigot gave $450,000 so gays will not be able to marry in California: "In 2004, Broekhuizen was the top West Michigan contributor to Michigan's anti-gay marriage amendment, adding $75,000 to the cause. Broekhuizen, 75, is mother to Betsy DeVos, the former state GOP chair who is married to 2006 GOP gubernatorial candidate Dick DeVos, and Erik Prince, founder of private security firm Blackwater Worldwide. She is the widow of the late Holland industrialist Edgar Prince and has remarried."

road.jpg To the right wing in California, this is the election issue since there's no way McCain will be winning in the state. If this disgusting piece of video, doesn't cause you to want to donate, I don't know anything that will. Talk about the exploitation of children.

road.jpg Fuel has been added to the fire behind the 'Yes on 8' campaign by a Bay Area elementary school teacher who asked her pupils to sign pledge cards promising not to use anti-gay slurs: "ProtectMarriage.com, the coalition of social and religious conservative groups sponsoring Proposition 8, offered the episode at Faith Ringgold Elementary School in Hayward as proof for its claim that the measure is needed to prevent public schools from discussing gay unions with students. 'Since the words 'between a man and a woman' have been taken out of the California laws, it has created a can opener for gay activists to take this kind of curriculum into our elementary schools—not 9th grade, not 12th grade, but kindergarten,' said campaign spokeswoman Sonya Eddings Brown." Of course, Proposition 8 has nothing to do with teaching in schools, but the religious right wing, as you know, will do anything to twist the truth.

road.jpg The "No on Prop 8" campaign will begin airing these two independently-produced ads as part of the campaign.

And you can keep the message airing with a contribution, or an increase in what you've already given, by donating HERE.

Comments

1. What really sickens me is the group of young gay men who believe they should have the right to marry, but then fall short of fighting for it and letting other people do it for them... When I called one "friend" he actually blasted me saying "There are more things to worry about! What is your problem. Get a life." Needless to say he's off the Christmas list. I don't want to sound like Chicken Little, but the sky IS falling here in California! I have donated 10% of my income over the last several months and it still seems like that's not enough. If Prop 8 passes, rights will be stripped away plain and simple.... And, if they start taking away the rights of one group, what makes people think they will stop there, and not find some reason to start taking away the rights of others... Give a rat a cookie, they'll want a glass of milk... and here in California, the people hiding behind Prop 8 are a bunch of rats in my book. Obviously I'm voting NO on Prop 8... This is an unfair ballot proposition that, if passed, will take away fundamental rights for some Californians, and then.... who's next???

Posted by: Steve | Oct 30, 2008 5:48:59 AM

2. I've made my donation, but I have a bad feeling we will lose this one. I guess it's bad taste to have doubts, but I do. Let's hope I'm wrong.

Posted by: Yeek | Oct 30, 2008 8:50:28 AM

3. I've just had an amazing experience. I donated this morning and sent an email to my friends and family asking for help with donations (I also linked several towler pages). Since then, I've received emails from everyone I asked saying that they donated as well. I'm even more energized now to keep it going.

Posted by: Greg | Oct 30, 2008 7:28:36 PM

4. Do what you can to get the word out and get out the vote! Get on a street corner with a sign. Go to a rally. Put a sign in your yard or a sticker on your car. TALK about Prop 8 with friends and co-workers. Blog about it. Donate money. We must ALL do our part in whatever way we can. Don't let them take our rights away. Don't let them take my marriage away!

Posted by: Mikeywaz | Oct 30, 2008 11:27:14 PM

5. I've seen a few postings on LDS blogs that they plan to distribute YES ON 8 literature to kids TOMORROW ON HALLOWEEN. Please see this before voting on Prop 8!

They claim they want to isolate and insulate kids, and now millions of California kids will be returning home to ask mom and dad about "sodomy" or whatever propaganda the mormons plan to distribute. I'm working on a response to this that I'm hoping I can get to "go viral" tonight. Moms are pretty good about spreading Halloween horror stories via email.

I'm also amused at how many "YES ON 8" folks have their Halloween plans on their blogs and webpages. Apparently, glorifying Satan is A-OK, but allowing your neighbors to live in peace even if you disagree with them isn't. Some "religion!"

Posted by: Cain Hamm | Oct 30, 2008 11:57:24 PM

6. I respect Joe Biden's view. He supports gay rights but understands that changing the definition of marriage goes too far and threatens religions liberties. People shouldn't be forced to endorse practices that is are contrary to their belief system.

We've already seen Catholic adoption agency in MA close rather than being forced to place children in same sex homes.

Schools in CA and MA have started to teach young children about gay marriage. This should be parents prerogative. Courts even struck down parent's right to opt out in MA.

If proposition 8 passes we will have the situation that Joe Biden supported in the vp debate. Same sex couple will have all rights of married couples (per CA law) but religious will be protected.
    Vote yes on 8!

Posted by: John B | Oct 31, 2008 4:30:06 AM

7. John B, I pray that you burn in Hell. I do not give a damn if the Catholic Church considers my gay marriage a sacrament but neither they--nor any religious institution--should not be allowed to vote on the validity of a civil marriage. Defeat of the bigoted Prop 8 would not force them to "sanctify" any marriage, just as today the Catholic Church is allowed to refuse to marry anyone not Catholic. They should not, however, force their beliefs on others, which is exactly what passage of Prop 8 would do.

As for anyone's "belief system," these are exactly the same arguments that were used to justify slavery and anti-miscegenation laws. It was right then, and it is right and just now, for the civil government to assert the equal protection rights of non-believers, whatever their non-belief "system". This is precisely what the California Supreme Court did in its opinion. No "special rights" were conferred; the Court merely recognized that the State Consitution already protected these extant rights to civil marriage, regardless of gender or "belief systems".

How would Catholics feel about Mormons voting on their marriages. Would Baptists vote for Catholics to validate their marriages and divorces? Moreover, if the Catholic Church decides to engage in a civil function, e.g. adoption placement, then they are required to abide by the laws of the locality. It would be the same if the Catholic Church ran a soup kitchen but refused to serve Black people. If any entity does not want to comply with non-discrimination requirements, then it can cease involving ifself in a state government directed activity. The choice is theirs.

Your last comment takes self-loathing to a whole new level. To paraphrase a great sage: You are leading a parade of hate filled with a showfloat of stupid.

Posted by: rudy | Oct 31, 2008 8:15:26 AM

8. Jeff Kent, who recently gave $15K to support Prop 8, is an active player and still a representative of the LA Dodgers. You can make your thoughts on his activism heard by contacting their front office. Their executive can be reached via links at the top of this page:

Posted by: Joe H | Nov 1, 2008 2:06:54 PM

9. Regarding Jeff Kent, I just realized the links on the page I provided are just bios for the Dodgers executives. They make it very hard to contact them. Your best bet is here:

Posted by: Joe H | Nov 1, 2008 2:13:32 PM