Crime | Gay Seniors | Indiana | News

Two Elderly Gay Men in Indiana Slain in Potential Hate Crime

Milton Lindgren, 70, and Eric Hendricks, 73, two southwest Indianapolis men, were found dead inside their home Monday, and friends believe that they were slain because they're gay:

Indianapolis"Patrick Beard, a friend of the victims, told 6News' Rick Hightower that he believed the men were targeted. 'I firmly believe it was definitely a hate crime. Milt was 70 and his partner was 73 and to go into someone's home and do something like that, it's just too coincidental,' he said. Police reports show that the men had their phone and cable lines cut twice in the past few months, and that anti-gay statements were posted on their front door. Investigators said that while they do believe the vandalism was related to Lindgren and Hendricks being gay, that they didn't know if their killings were. Beard's son, who also knew the victims, said he believes police will eventually reach the same conclusion he and his father have. 'I'm not a genius, but if someone's being harassed like that and fagot gets stamped on their door on a piece of paper, it's not that hard to connect the dots two months later that these two people are brutally killed in their home,' Lee Beard said."

The cause of death appears to be blunt force trauma. There was blood everywhere in the home.

Hendricks was ill and in a wheelchair. Lindgren was reportedly his caregiver.

How terribly sad.

Comments

1. Horrifying and very sad. This is the kind of world that is created by the right wingers. Sarah and Todd Palin would help to bring more of this.

Posted by: realitythink | Oct 22, 2008 10:32:49 AM

2. Disgusting and heart-breaking. Targeting old men. What have we come to as a society if we tolerate this? Where is the outrage? The perpetrators must be made to pay; with their lives, if that is what it takes to redress this grevious wrong.

Posted by: rudy | Oct 22, 2008 10:34:50 AM

3. This is horrifying. May the animal(s) who did this rot in prison and then burn in hell.

Posted by: The Milkman | Oct 22, 2008 10:36:52 AM

4. I will say a prayer for Milton and Eric. May they rest in peace.

Posted by: dctopman | Oct 22, 2008 10:43:04 AM

5. I live in Bloomington, Indiana, about an hour south of Indianapolis. While I feel completely safe here in Bloomington, this act upsets me very much. I, too, blame the rightwingers and their hate speech. It is still okay to call a faggot a "faggot." It is still okay to kill a faggot because he is one. This is disgusting. I can't believe I live in a state and a country where stuff like this happens. Call me "unAmerican," but I am ashamed of my country and its homophobia.

Posted by: JohnnieB | Oct 22, 2008 10:51:21 AM

6. Thank you for bringing attention to this terrible crime. Milton Lindgren was my Uncle, a very kind person who will be missed. Let's all pray for justice.

Posted by: Michael | Oct 22, 2008 10:51:54 AM

7. Gays need to get guns and shoot whoever lays a hand on them! Enough of this crap!

R.I.P. Milton and Eric.

Posted by: soulbrotha | Oct 22, 2008 10:57:29 AM

8. May they rest in peace.

Posted by: Okie | Oct 22, 2008 10:59:05 AM

9. That's just aweful!

btw...There is a strange comment on the local news coverage link from a "James"...insists he's one of their "lovers".

Posted by: phillip | Oct 22, 2008 11:10:27 AM

10. My heart is heavy on reading this horrific story. I know so many infirm and bordering on infirm people and their care givers, not to mention many of them are gay. How... horrible... horrible a thought that these gentle men were targeted.

I pray... deeply in my soul... that the law will find the sick, shameful monsters who did this and bring them to justice.

Posted by: Rad | Oct 22, 2008 11:11:55 AM

11. This is why I own a .40 caliber Smith & Wesson people. I've said it once, and I'll say it again, STOP BEING VICTIMS! They will yell things at you, they will beat you, AND THEY WILL KILL YOU given the opportunity. While the majority of people out there are good and decent folk, there are those who view us as less than human and they feel it's their God-given duty to exterminate us.

Learn to defend yourselves and those you love. Take a self-defense class, there's a Tiger Schullmann's in every strip mall across America by now. Buy a gun, while you still can, and learn to use it safely. Install security lighting around your property and lock your windows and doors at night no matter where you live and get an alarm system. If you have elderly gay folks as neighbors, then befriend them and check on them. We need to take care of our own.

You don't have to change you life completely or live in fear. These are some very simple things you can do to ensure your and your loved one's safety. These animals will continue to hunt and kill us if we make it easy for them.

Posted by: JerzeeMike | Oct 22, 2008 11:12:29 AM

12. The rhetoric of anti-gay politicians, religious frauds, and nowadays, pop music figures help to fuel violence against gays. Gay people have always been victims of hate-inspired murders and lynchings. We just don't know the how great the numbers of victims are. One of the cleaning ladies where I work said that she lost a gay brother and a gay uncle to anti-gay killers back in the 1980s ( of course, they never prosecuted anyone).

As was said earlier, to kill a faggot or a bulldyke is nothing to be ashamed of for many cowards in this country... in this world.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Oct 22, 2008 11:17:25 AM

13. Terribly sad and tragic.

This is directly a result of the hate filled actions and speech of the Republican party, incidences like these should make the Log Cabin crazies wake up and see what horror they are supporting and how it is manifest in such violent and disgusting ways against their own community. If right wing politicians and Christian terrorist weren't on the airwaves 24/7 telling people we were less then human and an abomination maybe this kind of brutal murder could have been avoided. What ever happened to love and compassion in the Christian Church?

Truly sick. What kind of pathetic creature attacks and kills old people?

May they both rest in peace.

Posted by: Mark | Oct 22, 2008 11:19:59 AM

14. To Mark - the only love and compassion in the Christian Church or any other church is of money. The rest is heresy.

Posted by: rick | Oct 22, 2008 11:34:50 AM

15. Younger people, log cabin republicans, so-called “g0ys” and “androphiles” seem to think we are living in a post-gay world where hatred and violence against gays is a thing of the past. This tragic incident reveals how terribly wrong they are. If anything good can come of this, I hope it is that people will abandon the ridiculous, and frankly deadly, idea that hate crime legislation is all about “punishing thought”. Wrong people, it is not about punishing thought it is about punishing those who target and inflict violence on members of minority groups.

Posted by: RobbieP | Oct 22, 2008 11:43:13 AM

16. This almost has me in tears and I am so sick and tired of reading that people are being killed, and, its still not a real crime to many. When I hear these chumps in politics say we don't need a hate crimes law on the book, we should force them to attend the funeral of victims like this.

May they rest in peace.

Posted by: Sebastian | Oct 22, 2008 11:44:49 AM

17. As is typical here on TR, everyone jumps to their pet conclusions before the facts are in. We need to let the investigation proceed on its own.

Posted by: anon | Oct 22, 2008 12:17:12 PM

18. This is terrorism, just as surely as 9/11 or the Oklahoma City bombings were. This is a message to gay people that they can be killed just for being who they are. This awful real-life murder made me think of another, fictional one, and the long-term paralyzing effect it had on the young gay boy who witnessed its aftermath:

"'I got it figured, got this plan, Ennis, how we can do it, you and me. Lureen's old man, you bet he'd give me a bunch if I'd get lost. Already more or less said it —'

'Whoa, whoa, whoa. It ain't goin a be that way. We can't. I'm stuck with what I got, caught in my own loop. Can't get out of it. Jack, I don't want a be like them guys you see around sometimes. And I don't want a be dead. There was these two old guys ranched together down home, Earl and Rich — Dad would pass a remark when he seen them. They was a joke even though they was pretty tough old birds. I was what, nine years old and they found Earl dead in a irrigation ditch. They'd took a tire iron to him, spurred him up, drug him around by his dick until it pulled off, just bloody pulp. What the tire iron done looked like pieces a burned tomatoes all over him, nose tore down from skiddin on gravel.'

'You seen that?'

'Dad made sure I seen it. Took me to see it. Me and K.E. Dad laughed about it. Hell, for all I know he done the job. If he was alive and was to put his head in that door right now you bet he'd go get his tire iron. Two guys livin together? No.'"

Posted by: Thomasina | Oct 22, 2008 12:27:29 PM

19. RIP

The only good I can see in this is that they went together.

NO. THAT DOESN'T MAKE IT ANY BETTER AT ALL!

FUCK YOU COWARDS WHO DID THIS!

Posted by: Derek Washington | Oct 22, 2008 1:25:45 PM

20. Hey Jerzeemike and milkman. I share your anger.

But to call whoever did this animals is an insult to the animal kingdom. Animals are cool. Not disgusting like this.

Whoever did this are barbaric monsters.

Posted by: Andy | Oct 22, 2008 1:49:42 PM

21. HORRIBLE!!! I can't imagine how horrified those men were. I hope the creatures that did this to them get the exact same treatment. This is the fault of the republicans, even the ones who "claim" to tolerate homosexuals, they all hate us and won't be happy until we're all dead. Vote republican and you vote against homosexuals and freedom.

Posted by: Bobby | Oct 22, 2008 1:53:04 PM

22. I wonder what our Log Cabin Republican "friends" think about this latest outrage? Oh, I forget. It's all about strong national defense, lower taxes, smaller government and personal responsibility. It just couldn't possibly be about the Republican Party and its corrupt, decadent, wing-nut evangelical, scum-bag "base" and the incessant, provocatively hateful chatter that emanates from those despicable people, now can it? Hate breeds violence. Republicans have perfected the art of hate.

Posted by: mike | Oct 22, 2008 2:46:21 PM

23. Rest in eternal peace. My faith tells me they are both still together in a far better place than this pitiful earth.

I own a S&W .38 that is loaded with hollow points. I will protect my soon to be husband who I have been with for 35 years, and myself without hesitation. I also have a permit to carry. I refuse to become a victim.

Posted by: John | Oct 22, 2008 3:25:56 PM

24. This is sickening. Imagine how backwards these bigots are now... it'll be even worse with a mccain/palin administration fueling the hate.

Posted by: KFLO | Oct 22, 2008 4:35:50 PM

25. This is despicable. It's a horror to contemplate whatever the motive, but that these poor men (one in a wheelchair, the other his caregiver) might have been victimized simply because they are gay makes it incalculably more awful.

I don't know how much the bigotry of the right contributes to hate crimes, less I think less than other commenters seem to believe. But the bigotry sure as hell doesn't discourage it.

Can I just say that we do not know the facts yet? That the men were the victims of hate speech recently does not mean that it automatically follows that their murders were an anti-gay hate crime. They might have been victimized because they were older and infirm and therefore an easy mark.

It's now long since been pretty convincingly established that Matthew Shepard was not killed because he was gay but because he was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Not everything is as it initially appears.

I feel compelled by my moral convictions though to affirm, even in the face of a provocation like this, that capital punishment is morally wrong and hand guns should be much more aggressively controlled than they are currently. So those of you who call for the death penalty for the murderers and handguns at your bedside get no support from me.

Posted by: Mercuritas | Oct 22, 2008 6:56:27 PM