Two Elderly Gay Men in Indiana Slain in Potential Hate Crime

Milton Lindgren, 70, and Eric Hendricks, 73, two southwest Indianapolis men, were found dead inside their home Monday, and friends believe that they were slain because they’re gay:

Indianapolis“Patrick Beard, a friend of the victims, told 6News’ Rick Hightower that he believed the men were targeted. ‘I firmly believe it was definitely a hate crime. Milt was 70 and his partner was 73 and to go into someone’s home and do something like that, it’s just too coincidental,’ he said. Police reports show that the men had their phone and cable lines cut twice in the past few months, and that anti-gay statements were posted on their front door. Investigators said that while they do believe the vandalism was related to Lindgren and Hendricks being gay, that they didn’t know if their killings were. Beard’s son, who also knew the victims, said he believes police will eventually reach the same conclusion he and his father have. ‘I’m not a genius, but if someone’s being harassed like that and fagot gets stamped on their door on a piece of paper, it’s not that hard to connect the dots two months later that these two people are brutally killed in their home,’ Lee Beard said.”

The cause of death appears to be blunt force trauma. There was blood everywhere in the home.

Hendricks was ill and in a wheelchair. Lindgren was reportedly his caregiver.

How terribly sad.

Comments

1. rudy says

Disgusting and heart-breaking. Targeting old men. What have we come to as a society if we tolerate this? Where is the outrage? The perpetrators must be made to pay; with their lives, if that is what it takes to redress this grevious wrong.

2. JohnnieB says

I live in Bloomington, Indiana, about an hour south of Indianapolis. While I feel completely safe here in Bloomington, this act upsets me very much. I, too, blame the rightwingers and their hate speech. It is still okay to call a faggot a “faggot.” It is still okay to kill a faggot because he is one. This is disgusting. I can’t believe I live in a state and a country where stuff like this happens. Call me “unAmerican,” but I am ashamed of my country and its homophobia.

3. Michael says

Thank you for bringing attention to this terrible crime. Milton Lindgren was my Uncle, a very kind person who will be missed. Let’s all pray for justice.

4. Rad says

My heart is heavy on reading this horrific story. I know so many infirm and bordering on infirm people and their care givers, not to mention many of them are gay. How… horrible… horrible a thought that these gentle men were targeted.

I pray… deeply in my soul… that the law will find the sick, shameful monsters who did this and bring them to justice.

5. JerzeeMike says

This is why I own a .40 caliber Smith & Wesson people. I’ve said it once, and I’ll say it again, STOP BEING VICTIMS! They will yell things at you, they will beat you, AND THEY WILL KILL YOU given the opportunity. While the majority of people out there are good and decent folk, there are those who view us as less than human and they feel it’s their God-given duty to exterminate us.

Learn to defend yourselves and those you love. Take a self-defense class, there’s a Tiger Schullmann’s in every strip mall across America by now. Buy a gun, while you still can, and learn to use it safely. Install security lighting around your property and lock your windows and doors at night no matter where you live and get an alarm system. If you have elderly gay folks as neighbors, then befriend them and check on them. We need to take care of our own.

You don’t have to change you life completely or live in fear. These are some very simple things you can do to ensure your and your loved one’s safety. These animals will continue to hunt and kill us if we make it easy for them.

6. Derrick from Philly says

The rhetoric of anti-gay politicians, religious frauds, and nowadays, pop music figures help to fuel violence against gays. Gay people have always been victims of hate-inspired murders and lynchings. We just don’t know the how great the numbers of victims are. One of the cleaning ladies where I work said that she lost a gay brother and a gay uncle to anti-gay killers back in the 1980s ( of course, they never prosecuted anyone).

As was said earlier, to kill a faggot or a bulldyke is nothing to be ashamed of for many cowards in this country… in this world.

7. says

Terribly sad and tragic.

This is directly a result of the hate filled actions and speech of the Republican party, incidences like these should make the Log Cabin crazies wake up and see what horror they are supporting and how it is manifest in such violent and disgusting ways against their own community. If right wing politicians and Christian terrorist weren’t on the airwaves 24/7 telling people we were less then human and an abomination maybe this kind of brutal murder could have been avoided. What ever happened to love and compassion in the Christian Church?

Truly sick. What kind of pathetic creature attacks and kills old people?

May they both rest in peace.

8. RobbieP says

Younger people, log cabin republicans, so-called “g0ys” and “androphiles” seem to think we are living in a post-gay world where hatred and violence against gays is a thing of the past. This tragic incident reveals how terribly wrong they are. If anything good can come of this, I hope it is that people will abandon the ridiculous, and frankly deadly, idea that hate crime legislation is all about “punishing thought”. Wrong people, it is not about punishing thought it is about punishing those who target and inflict violence on members of minority groups.

9. Sebastian says

This almost has me in tears and I am so sick and tired of reading that people are being killed, and, its still not a real crime to many. When I hear these chumps in politics say we don’t need a hate crimes law on the book, we should force them to attend the funeral of victims like this.

May they rest in peace.

10. Thomasina says

This is terrorism, just as surely as 9/11 or the Oklahoma City bombings were. This is a message to gay people that they can be killed just for being who they are. This awful real-life murder made me think of another, fictional one, and the long-term paralyzing effect it had on the young gay boy who witnessed its aftermath:

“‘I got it figured, got this plan, Ennis, how we can do it, you and me. Lureen’s old man, you bet he’d give me a bunch if I’d get lost. Already more or less said it —’

‘Whoa, whoa, whoa. It ain’t goin a be that way. We can’t. I’m stuck with what I got, caught in my own loop. Can’t get out of it. Jack, I don’t want a be like them guys you see around sometimes. And I don’t want a be dead. There was these two old guys ranched together down home, Earl and Rich — Dad would pass a remark when he seen them. They was a joke even though they was pretty tough old birds. I was what, nine years old and they found Earl dead in a irrigation ditch. They’d took a tire iron to him, spurred him up, drug him around by his dick until it pulled off, just bloody pulp. What the tire iron done looked like pieces a burned tomatoes all over him, nose tore down from skiddin on gravel.’

‘You seen that?’

‘Dad made sure I seen it. Took me to see it. Me and K.E. Dad laughed about it. Hell, for all I know he done the job. If he was alive and was to put his head in that door right now you bet he’d go get his tire iron. Two guys livin together? No.'”

11. Andy says

Hey Jerzeemike and milkman. I share your anger.

But to call whoever did this animals is an insult to the animal kingdom. Animals are cool. Not disgusting like this.

Whoever did this are barbaric monsters.

12. Bobby says

HORRIBLE!!! I can’t imagine how horrified those men were. I hope the creatures that did this to them get the exact same treatment. This is the fault of the republicans, even the ones who “claim” to tolerate homosexuals, they all hate us and won’t be happy until we’re all dead. Vote republican and you vote against homosexuals and freedom.

13. mike says

I wonder what our Log Cabin Republican “friends” think about this latest outrage? Oh, I forget. It’s all about strong national defense, lower taxes, smaller government and personal responsibility. It just couldn’t possibly be about the Republican Party and its corrupt, decadent, wing-nut evangelical, scum-bag “base” and the incessant, provocatively hateful chatter that emanates from those despicable people, now can it? Hate breeds violence. Republicans have perfected the art of hate.

14. says

Rest in eternal peace. My faith tells me they are both still together in a far better place than this pitiful earth.

I own a S&W .38 that is loaded with hollow points. I will protect my soon to be husband who I have been with for 35 years, and myself without hesitation. I also have a permit to carry. I refuse to become a victim.

15. Mercuritas says

This is despicable. It’s a horror to contemplate whatever the motive, but that these poor men (one in a wheelchair, the other his caregiver) might have been victimized simply because they are gay makes it incalculably more awful.

I don’t know how much the bigotry of the right contributes to hate crimes, less I think less than other commenters seem to believe. But the bigotry sure as hell doesn’t discourage it.

Can I just say that we do not know the facts yet? That the men were the victims of hate speech recently does not mean that it automatically follows that their murders were an anti-gay hate crime. They might have been victimized because they were older and infirm and therefore an easy mark.

It’s now long since been pretty convincingly established that Matthew Shepard was not killed because he was gay but because he was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Not everything is as it initially appears.

I feel compelled by my moral convictions though to affirm, even in the face of a provocation like this, that capital punishment is morally wrong and hand guns should be much more aggressively controlled than they are currently. So those of you who call for the death penalty for the murderers and handguns at your bedside get no support from me.

16. Rob says

First – may these two gentlemen rest in peace… hope the perps get the needle.

John is on track: it may not have helped these two poor souls but all decent, law-abiding people should 1) defend the 2nd Amendment; 2) learn how to handle a firearm; 3) be prepared to legally defend themselves; and 4) lobby for “shall issue” CCW permits in states where they’re not yet legal. I have a CCW. I don’t carry all that often (avoiding places where I need to) but I’m one gay who won’t get bashed without a fight.

As to many of the commenters… GET A GRIP. You people blame every freaking thing in the world on the GOP. What in the hell does Sarah Palin or Log Cabin have to do with this?

It is no wonder that worthy causes like same-sex marriage are doomed… if I were opposed to SSM, having some jerk like “Mike” tell me that I am a “corrupt, decadent, wing-nut evangelical, scum-bag”, I’d know that I was listening to a fool and no argument he could make would change my mind. Indeed, I would have tuned out at “wing-nut”. All the rabid hate-mongering I hear comes from the left.

I have a hard time taking gays seriously with what passes for news and culture in our “community” (that’s a laugh – not young and pretty? You don’t exist.).

17. Rann says

I agree we should not be so quick to place blame on anyone. I have a lot of problems with the right wing but we do not know the facts yet. When I emailed Andy about this horrible crime to these two men, I wanted to make sure everyone on this site knew that two gay men have been slaughtered!!! Let’s focus on that and getting the word out. It is not getting a lot of press around here. (Indianapolis)I mean it has been reported but when two older people are brutally murdered in their own home…. A lot of people around here don’t even know it happened because they don’t keep up with the news let alone when it affects gay people.

Also there is a chance it involved another man who lived with them before, according to one report I saw, so again let’s not rush to judgement…yet. I do agree we need to protect ourselves and I am for the death penalty! This is a prime example why.

18. rudy says

I disagree. I am more than prepared to “rush to judgment” and denounce the perpetrator(s) of this horrendous crime. I am not prejudging who who is at fault; however, I am stating my strong conviction that one should defend oneself and others in our family targeted by homophobes and that murderers should be dealt with harshly. Whomever commited these murders should be put to death. The punishment should fit the crime.

19. boo says

I don’t really like gay people, what I am really trying to say is their sex practices make me want to vomit. However, whatever hatred I have in that area certainly would not make me want to see them physically hurt or killed.

Those monsters who hurt them will pay. But, on the flip side, for every wrong gays or straight people who cheat on their partners, there is always a consequences for going against what we are not supposed to do.

So, yes.. When you do something wrong, one must take extra vigilance in their safety and surroundings. They got what they had coming for living such a life, but that’s to be expected. However, the people who did this do not have the right to kill or hurt them. It’s just reality. So these types of people have to be careful, they made their own bed so they have to sleep in it.. Just as all of us who commit any other sin..

That’s just the way it is.

May their souls have peace.. This is very very heartbreaking.

Being gay is a trajedy and it is quite sickening because of aids, abusive sex, feces, std’s, bashing, isolated communities-who in their right mind would choose such an empty ridiculous existence.. To me, gays are deviant like pedophiles or something or people who screw dogs and other animals in the a** I can’t imagine it, I am sick thinking about it.. ewwwww. Face it, there is something disturbing and unhealthy about being gay especially with men.

Oh, well. People come in all forms and god will kill them with aids and depression. People don’t have to take action themselves. Nature will definitely take its course..

Some just don’t have the patience to let it happen.

Just as the gay men had to pay, the people who did this will get theirs and the time will come to give them what they deserve, how dare them do natures work before god, that is as sinister as the gay lifestyle itself.. If I was a guy I could not stick my D**** in someones fecal canal.. That is sooooooo nasty i don’t care how many douches and enemas someone uses.. It is sick, sick, sick

I feel sorry for the weak souls who have fallen into this way of behavior, it is not worth it, whether you are gay or straight to abuse your body like that, live pure and healthy it’s the best way to survive.. God is watching!

Condolences to the victims and their families. This is an example of why it’s hard to accept gays. Death,disease and unhappiness is the instant message when I see them.

I feel for the families who have to deal with gay family members it is soulfully disgusting and heartbreaking.. Gay men are difficult people, and i can’t blame those who simply cut them off because they can’t deal with their rantings and general mental health issues. I hate to say this,but I see something evil within them and they can’t help it!

20. Junius says

Come out ye evangelical fascist scum, come out and fight without your guns.

Enough nicey nice “tolerance” for NIV bible thumping murdering filth. For every drop of blood they shed we should be shedding their blood as well. Unless you want them to come and kill you too. My feeling is that we should kill them first. Everything else is just hypocrisy and collaboration. I intend to survive, if that means butchering homophobic evangelical nazi scum then I say we should kill them all. Blood for blood without remorse.

REVENGE!!!

I’m starting my day with a good healthy hate.