Catholic Church | News | Pope Benedict | Religion | Vatican

Vatican: Psychological Tests to Screen Priests for Sexual, Gay Urges

Real_men

Would there be any left standing?

"Candidates for the Catholic priesthood should undergo psychological tests to screen out heterosexuals unable to control their sexual urges and those with strong homosexual tendencies, the Vatican said Thursday. A new document was the second in three years to deal with the effects of a sexual abuse scandal that rocked the Church six years ago. It said the early detection of 'sometimes pathological' psychological defects of men before they become priests would help avoid tragic experiences."

Previously
The Priesthood: Men and Lots of 'Em [tr]

Comments

1. THE QUEEN: so what's the implication here, countess? THE COUNTESS: Well, I guess that real men aren't gay or maybe... THE QUEEN: Real men are sexual predators? THE COUNTESS: Hmmm, hadn't thought about that ... anyway, we both know the more real man you are the gayer you are, don'tcha think? THE QUEEN: Right on, countess! We both know that from experience, don't we? We've had plenty of real gay men, n-est-ce pas? COUNTESS: You got that right, sugar!

Posted by: the queen of hoochie with the countess de coochie, twin sister of miss derrick from philly | Oct 30, 2008 11:41:43 AM

2. Start at the top and work your way down.

Posted by: David D. | Oct 30, 2008 11:42:38 AM

3. They should screen for pedophiles instead, cause they be touching your boys.

Posted by: Brendan | Oct 30, 2008 11:59:30 AM

4. David - my thoughts exactly!

Posted by: JP | Oct 30, 2008 11:59:35 AM

5. A lifetime of forced celibacy is enough to drive anyone a little nuts.

Posted by: TroyTooner | Oct 30, 2008 12:00:58 PM

6. Brendan: I agree with you. The church be screening for pedophiles-- NOT gay people.

Posted by: Brandon | Oct 30, 2008 12:22:53 PM

7. Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do.

Don't Cardinals and Popes have some higher education? How can they be so stup...oh, never mind.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Oct 30, 2008 12:29:28 PM

8. All I know is, when I look at the guy on the bottom front row, 2nd from the right, I think of Madonna: "When you call my name/It's like a little prayer/I'm down on my knees/I wanna take you there..."

Posted by: Dback | Oct 30, 2008 12:30:05 PM

9. Very few will pass the test. The ones that do will be screwing someone anyway. Only a hand full (if that) of them are totally celibate throughout their careers.

The church doesn't want a married clergy. It would cost way too much. They'd all have to have families of 10 or 12 kids to be an example to the membership. That's ain't going to happen.

Posted by: jeffg166 | Oct 30, 2008 12:40:46 PM

10. Someday it will be commonly acknowledged that a pivotal aspect of the growth of the church was its role as the only refuge in the community for homosexuals. Without this underlying construct (increasingly unnecessary as ignorance about human sexuality diminishes and homosexuality becomes socially acceptable), the church is forced to contend with a growing transparency about the issue by having its position actually reflect in its makeup. Only, this would be a profoundly fundamental shift in its ecclesiastical tradition. I'm not sure it could survive it.

Posted by: rascal | Oct 30, 2008 12:47:52 PM

11. This pronouncement is an example of how the Vatican willfully continues to conflate pedophilia with homosexuality. It's offensive and objectionable.

Posted by: RobbieP | Oct 30, 2008 1:35:27 PM

12. Spot on RASCAL! Having attended both Catholic grade and highschool myself, I would say that 20-50% of priests are gay.

Posted by: Nailin' Palin | Oct 30, 2008 2:31:18 PM

13. "Real Men" = code for homophobia. I despise this in all its usage. But it is especially prevalent on magazine covers to pull an instinctual trigger. Perennial winning publications include Esquire, GQ, Men's Health... [you get it.]

Posted by: SEAN | Oct 30, 2008 4:02:29 PM