Barack Obama | Election 2008 | John McCain | News

BigGayDeal.com

CNN Exit Polls: 27% of Gays Voted for McCain

CNN's exit poll data says that 27% of gays voted for McCain in this election.

MccainAccording to the Log Cabin Republicans, that's up from 20% four years ago. They write: "That equals 1.3 million votes - the most any Republican candidate for President has received."

I reported last June that 14% of gays favored McCain while 60% favored Obama. That's quite a jump, and both numbers astonish me, quite frankly.

This was a candidate who didn't even know what the acronym LGBT stood for. He also didn't believe in gay adoption, supported a ban on gays in the military, worried if his clothing looked too gay, isn't sure if condoms stop the spread of HIV, thought same-sex marriage ceremonies were okay as long as they were fake, and promised right-wing religious groups that he's speak out against LGBT causes.

Comments

1. I disagree, LUKE. I do feel that gays in much higher number view their struggle for rights as having similarities to the black struggle for civil rights.

Like Steve, I live in Atlanta, and am confident when i say that most blacks do not believe that the gay rights movement has any similarities to the black civil rights movement.

Many blacks (and whites, and greens, etc) believe that being gay is a choice and that is a fundamental difference - because no one believes that being black is a choice.

Posted by: Dan B | Nov 6, 2008 11:38:46 AM

2. Now we know: The "STUPID" gene beats out the "GAY" gene 27% of the time.

Posted by: Rich L | Nov 6, 2008 11:47:57 AM

3. Read before you post, racist morons!

The biggest betrayal -- and biggest numbers are these:
    Conservative: 85% FOR Prop 8
    Liberal: 78% AGAINST Prop 8
    Those are both higher percentages and higher absolute numbers.

It's the Conservatives we need to reserve our hatred for, not any other group. These are the same conservatives McCain would have brought to power.

Posted by: Kevinvt | Nov 6, 2008 11:48:01 AM

4. I think they're racist.
    Just like the 70% of Black voters
    were homophobic.

Posted by: stephen | Nov 6, 2008 11:50:00 AM

5. bmorg: Is that for Be MORON GAY?

Let me guess....you make over $250,000. and
    live on the Upper West Side.

Posted by: william w | Nov 6, 2008 11:53:52 AM

6. RRGG, did you not bother to read the other comments here, or are you deliberately stirring up more futile racist tension?

Forgive me for repeating a comment from an earlier thread, but I'm sick of reiterating arguments on this ad nauseam:

Jesus, how long are we going to focus on race instead on what can be done to move forward in the fight for equality?

I understand the disappointment and anger that the black vote went down as it did. How could people who support Obama not support us? But that's a simplistic assumption (like we were somehow doing AA's a favor by voting for Obama, the best candidate), and points to a lack of understanding about how black people--many very religious and, for various reasons, not well informed on gay issues--vote. (Of course many black voters are informed and, gasp, even gay!) So maybe the vote was a useful wake-up call. What doesn't make sense is this scapegoating of blacks for putting Prop 8 over the top, the argument being that if Obama hadn't energized black voters and brought their disproportionate Yes vote to the ballot box, we'd still have equality today. But focusing on the black vote neglects the much more significant 80+% Republican (mostly white) vote in favor of Prop 8, the vast Mormon (white) $ funding Yes, all the gay people who didn't bother to vote, failed political strategies on the No side, and so on. Any of those things could have put Yes over the top, so pinpointing blacks smacks of racism. That doesn't mean the black Yes vote shouldn't be acknowledged and analyzed, it's the obsessive way it's being acknowledged (Black Vote = Prop 8 Passage) that's offensive. And let's not forget: the power structure behind 8, what funded it and got it on the ballot in the first place was predominately very very white. Without the white push, Prop 8 wouldn't have been there for blacks to support.

Move on, this racial infighting only helps the opposition.

Posted by: Ernie | Nov 6, 2008 11:54:01 AM

7. Even my right wing Ohio republican family members were not able to vote for McCain because of his divisive, dishonest, vapid, fear-mongering, content-free campaign. And the Palin pick.
    And Bmorg, he supported the Republican platform so he is not a moderate, thank you.

Posted by: Chester | Nov 6, 2008 11:58:08 AM

8. Thanks Ernie. I agree. We need to move forward no matter how things went down.

Posted by: will | Nov 6, 2008 11:59:28 AM

9. Well, if gay Republicans cite defense or healthcare as their reasons to be/vote Rebuplican, then ... um ... I'm virtually speechless. (Do they know the word failure?)

Posted by: Chris | Nov 6, 2008 11:59:32 AM

10. The LGBT community will see its power and political voice continue to diminish - what little rights we have will gradually be stripped away if we do not begin to vote as a politically unified community.

Posted by: Ted | Nov 6, 2008 12:01:08 PM

11. This doesn't surprise me. The majority of gay men over 50 that I personally know were all voting for McCain, and most of them freely admitted that they "just couldn't vote for a black man for president."

Posted by: Charlie | Nov 6, 2008 12:07:42 PM

12. BMorg:

McCain ran a campaign that did not demonize the LGBT community, and his campaign staff shows he can work with and respect the gay community. Those who argue that the Republican party is controlled by hate mongering right wingers should stop demonizing the moderates in the party, like McCain, who don't fit that description.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME WITH THIS?

1. McCain made very ignorant comments about gay adoption

2. McCain supported Prop 8 and the similar ammendment in AZ.

3. McCain chose Sarah Palin as a VP pick who is a barbaric social conservative who came out very vocally against gay marriage (not to mention women's reproductive rights!)

And before anyone starts with "Obama doesn't support gay marriage" either, please do your research. He supports the repeal of DOMA and "Don't Ask Don't Tell." He is against Prop 8. He has also said time and time again that just because he has certain religious beliefs does not mean that 1. He can be wrong and change his mind and 2. Those beliefs will influence his policy.

The same cannot be said for McCain and Palin.

But whatevs, they lost.

Posted by: Alex | Nov 6, 2008 12:11:29 PM

13. 1. I wouldn't believe a word out of any Republican's mouth.

2. Any gay person who voted for McCain is a traitor, not just to gay rights but to everything the US stands for.

Posted by: Kyle Michel Sullivan | Nov 6, 2008 12:20:48 PM

14. thank you alex. very well said.

Posted by: will | Nov 6, 2008 12:27:35 PM

15. The problem is that Obama won but gays lost. We vote Democratic in order to make gains in civil rights. What do we do when that strategy doesn't work? Gays are liberal almost entirely for the purpose of gaining civil rights, not for fiscal policy reasons, so this half-loaf strategy has now bounced. The best we can hope for is repeal of DOMA and DADT and the enactment of ENDA. The repeal of DOMA will lead to several lawsuits as people get married in Massachusetts and go home insisting they are married. This will then lead to huge support for the FMA the next following election.

Blacks were 10% of the vote in CA this time, not 6%. That was last time.

Posted by: anon | Nov 6, 2008 12:41:58 PM

16. gay republicans make as much sense as jews for hitler. do not lick the boots of your oppressor, boys and girls.

Posted by: psgoodguy | Nov 6, 2008 12:57:47 PM

17. LOL, what a bunch of bitchy little girls.

Did I say I hate blacks or the gay community hates blacks or that there isn't racism in the gay community? Nope. But don't let that get in the way of your tantrums.

Some of you irrational, uptight twits seem to think any group that has gone through a civil rights struggle is our ally. You got your slap in the face on that.

And of course all the self-absorbed, Project Runway watching, $200-jeans wearing, designer label obsessed, Manhunt profiled, clubbing circuit party queens are equally to blame.

Posted by: ATLSteve | Nov 6, 2008 1:20:54 PM

18. for what it's worth, some of my Californian friends were adamant that Prop 8 'just could not pass, it's never going to happen'.... If only they had trusted less in the 'good hearts' of their fellow Californians and campaigned as much as I did against Prop 8 (though I am in NJ) maybe it would have been different.

Posted by: CK | Nov 6, 2008 1:29:26 PM

19. I don't know. All of this just makes me feel sad more than angry. I've supported the Democratic Party and many Civil Rights/Equality groups with both money and time and it just feels like we, as gay people, get nothing in return. It just makes me want to just say, "why bother?", and just stay out of supporting anyone.

Posted by: Mike G | Nov 6, 2008 1:35:28 PM

20. ...not everyone votes on 1 issue...and sometimes a gay person's number one belief or issue isn't being gay...

Posted by: JoshEV | Nov 6, 2008 1:36:38 PM

21. African Americans voted 70% against us having civil rights - Obama hurt us too!

Obama: Prop 8 "Unnecessary," But Doesn't Believe In Gay Marriage
    Barack Obama's walking a fine, gay line.

The Democratic Presidential candidate appeared on MTV this weekend to come out against California's Proposition 8, which would overturn gay marriage in the Golden State. At the same time, however, Obama reiterated his belief that marriage is between a man and a woman. Said the Senator from Illinois:
    I've stated my opposition to this. I think [Prop 8 is] unnecessary. "I believe marriage is between a man and a woman. I am not in favor of gay marriage. But when you start playing around with constitutions, just to prohibit somebody who cares about another person, it just seems to me that's not what America's about. Usually, our constitutions expand liberties, they don't contract them."

On a related note, the New York Times this Saturday ran an article highlighting Obama'ss same-sex marriage opposition; motivated more by religious elements.
    As a Christian — he is a member of the United Church of Christ — Mr. Obama believes that marriage is a sacred union, a blessing from God, and one that is intended for a man and a woman exclusively, according to these supporters and Obama campaign advisers. While he does not favor laws that ban same-sex marriage, and has said he is “open to the possibility” that his views may be “misguided,” he does not support it and is not inclined to fight for it, his advisers say.

What's interesting, we think, is that Obama consistently frames his opposition of Proposition 8 in terms of constitutionality, rather than whether or not gay marriage is right - a tactic that's quite popular among the center and conservative set. That helps explain Obama's later comments in which he says he believes in strong civil unions that provide marital rights, like hospital visitations. That believe, he insists, provides a great example of his style of governance:
    If they've got benefits, they can make sure those benefits apply to their partners. I think that's the direction we need to go in. I think young people are ahead of the curve on this for the most part. Their attitude, generally, is that we should be respectful of all people, and that's the kind of politics I want to practice.

Posted by: Marc | Nov 6, 2008 2:50:42 PM

22. I'd like to congratulate all the Obama supporters on their victory. I sincerely hope he brings the CHANGE that you all believe in so strongly.

But, for those of us who did not vote for him, we will be watching to see if he keeps the pledges he made to win your gay vote. The clock starts January 20th.

Posted by: dc8stretch | Nov 6, 2008 3:13:00 PM

23. DC8STRETCH, at least we will not have 4 more years of this hatred:

Posted by: TEGS | Nov 6, 2008 3:58:27 PM

24. I proudly voted absentee (in Missouri, state I haven't lived in for three years--amazingly, I'm still registered there) for McCain, but mostly against Obama. There were a multitude of reasons to vote against Obama. And, thankfully, I count my vote as one of 5868 which kept MO red!

Posted by: Mark N Chicago | Nov 6, 2008 4:19:00 PM

25. "I proudly voted absentee (in Missouri, state I haven't lived in for three years--amazingly, I'm still registered there) for McCain, "

Did anybody tell you who won the election, Mark?

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Nov 6, 2008 4:31:20 PM