Gay Rights | Mike Huckabee | News

Huckabee: Gays Haven't Crossed 'Civil Rights' Violence Threshold

Former Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee was on The View today talking about same-sex marriage and declaring that gay rights are not civil rights because gays have not had violence inflicted upon them like Blacks have.

HuckabeeSaid Huckabee: "People who are homosexuals should have every right in terms of their civil rights, to be employed, to do anything they want. But that’s not really the issue. I know you talked about it and I think you got into it a little bit early on. But when we’re talking about a redefinition of an institution, that’s different than individual civil rights. We’re never going to convince each other...But here is the difference. Bull Connor was hosing people down in the streets of Alabama. John Lewis got his skull cracked on the Selma bridge."

No doubt Harvey Milk, Matthew Shepard, Teish Cannon, and the thousands of other victims of anti-gay hate crimes would beg to differ, if they could. As Think Progress notes, "Huckabee’s lame violence threshold is nothing more than a shoddy attempt to conceal his deep and fundamental homophobia."

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Ignorant moron. I almost feel sorry for him, maybe we should hose him down since he hasn't suffered enough violence in order to the rights to marry.

Posted by: CJ | Nov 18, 2008 9:51:34 PM

2. How much longer do we have to sit around and watch so-called "straight" people sit around and debate issues like marriage equality without the one prerequisite that would make the conversation even remotely legitimate? Isn't it hypocritical to sit around and talk about issues that directly involve LGBT issues without someone that is actually LGBT? Yeah, I know Whoopi has marched with us but why don't these idiots actually bring on one of the 18,000 married couples who's marriages are now in question?

Posted by: Scott | Nov 18, 2008 10:27:50 PM

3. Christ, I hate Huckabee. The "word" is that Newt is going to run for POTUS in 2012 on a "social values" platform. What else have the Republicans got but fear of the H-O-M-O-S-E-X-U-A-L to run on? Huckabee, who would like to quarantine people living with AIDS, will be Gingrich's Goebbels. Yes, when it comes to Huckabee's evil wrapped in a benign smile, a nazi analogy is always appropriate.

Posted by: JohnInManhattan | Nov 18, 2008 10:31:00 PM

4. Producer Bill Geddie will no longer permit gays on THE VIEW unless they've been accredited by The Mario Cantone School of Minstrel Performing Arts.

Posted by: JohnInManhattan | Nov 18, 2008 10:35:28 PM

5. is huckabee stupid?

Posted by: ROB | Nov 18, 2008 10:39:13 PM

6. This comes from the "brightest" the republican Party had to offer us. I mean this fellow's platform was homeschooling, now talk to me about segregation?

It is clear that he doesn't understand the real impact of segregation, what have he done to advanced the rights of minorities in this country? where was he to take an stand on the issue? if for all these years he thought racism was so wrong. This are the type of chronic liars we need to rid our Nation of.

Gay people need to be more out and loud than ever before. We must do so in peace, but in peace we must.

Posted by: Rafael | Nov 18, 2008 10:55:56 PM

7. Why do we even give a shit what this guy has to say? Come on, he doesn't believe in evolution, he doesn't believe in photosynthesis, he doesn't believe in stem cells research, he believes that dinosaurs and humans existed together like fucking 6000 years ago and he probably still thinks that the earth is flat. I don't know what alternate universe this guy is living in but in my world, I know that there were probably some gay dinosaurs as well and they did not fucking exist 6000 years ago.
    oh and one more thing, mr. huckabee- do you mean to say that GAY people like lawrence king and teish cannon just happened to get shot because they were "unlucky" or "victim of random shooting"???
    Yea so much for your "difference", you delusional, bigoted old fart.

Posted by: gayalltheway | Nov 18, 2008 11:09:17 PM

8. HUH? i don't speak the language of 'idiotic asshole'

wow.

Posted by: liz | Nov 18, 2008 11:18:25 PM

9. WTF? Hasn't Huckabee ever heard of the Holocaust?

Posted by: Luckie | Nov 18, 2008 11:22:22 PM

10. If everyone would send a comment to The View stating what you do here with better grammar and spelling, it would make an impact. We're talking at each other and not telling those that need to hear.

Posted by: Sargon Bighorn | Nov 18, 2008 11:22:49 PM

11. I am so done with all these idiotic bigoted people...you can stick a fork in me. I saw the mention of the holocaust in the comments - and was thinking the same thing. The problem here is that the ridicule of gay people is STILL socially acceptable. If people would make these same comments and arguments about women, blacks, hispanics or jews they would be immediately chastised by the press - or the hosts of these "shows". Instead, these bigoted spews of ignorance and hate are presented as "an alternate view". We just have to continue to turn up the volume and repeat over and over again that they are fricken' bigots and hate-mongers.

Posted by: Mike | Nov 18, 2008 11:41:36 PM

12. What about electroshocks, queer-bashing and prison?

Posted by: Eduardo | Nov 18, 2008 11:42:46 PM

13. But isn't what he's talking about violence inflicted by government (
    city and/or state) and what you're talking about is individuals inflicting crime on other individuals (hate crimes listed)?
    I would think it would be easy for you to use the right rhetoric (you've posted hundreds of examples of governments big and small inflicting violence or locking up individuals for being gay. It seems to me that would actually be to what M.Huckabee is referring).

Posted by: AndyC | Nov 18, 2008 11:47:20 PM

14. If he is referring to government actions, then how about the inaction of failing to to protect gays as equal citizens instead of looking the other way or minimizing criminal acts? Its getting better with hate crimes laws now but not good enough.

And the fact is that there are so many examples of how the government treats gays as second class citizens, which is a form of emotional violence. That is why Prop 8 and similar measures are so important. With one fell swoop,bam, equal rights in so many ways. Our government has been an accomplice along the way, as they were with segregation. It takes a supreme court to protect the rights of minorities.

And don't forget to be afraid of Romney too. I dont think we've heard the last of him.

Posted by: Ted | Nov 19, 2008 12:15:57 AM

15. How do you comment to The View? They used to have little tabs under each host - contact Joy, Contact Elisabeth, etc. Now they are gone.
    Huckabee is nothing but a preacher. I knew him back in the day when he was President of the Arkansas Baptist Convention. He was a so/so governor of a tiny state (population wise).
    And JohninManhatton - Just my opinion - it's "people living with HIV" - not "people living with AIDS" - There is a difference - We need to start letting the world know that not everyone who has HIV is going to get AIDS anymore.

Posted by: Da | Nov 19, 2008 12:36:07 AM

16. Here in California we got robocalls from Upchuckabee urging us to vote YES on 8.
    Why some religious bigot from Arkansas should be giving me instructions in ANYTHING besides how to field dress your 1st cousin is beyond me. He is a supreme asshat.

Posted by: Jeffrey | Nov 19, 2008 1:06:00 AM

17. The fact that Huckabee, a former preacher, ran for president scares the shit out of me. This is the man who stated that it would be desirable to change the Constitution to reflect the "Word of God". Can you imagine if this man actually got into the White House? It's also interesting to me that he thinks that gays need to meet some kind of standard or experience a certain amount of violence or oppression in order to be deserving of our rights.

Posted by: cp | Nov 19, 2008 1:25:41 AM

18. How clueless is he? If we determined civil rights based on violence, few would have civil rights--women, handicapped, elderly--all have equal rights protections, but they have not experienced the same level of violence as African-Americans.

He also does not realize that just over 40 years ago, people were placed in prison, tortured, lost jobs, killed, families destroyed, etc. because they were gay and chose to associate with others. Hell, in some places a decade ago, gay sex could mean prison time. If that does not constitute his threshold, what would?

Posted by: Aaron | Nov 19, 2008 1:58:25 AM

19. My gaydar goes off when I see him. Anyone else?

Posted by: Ty | Nov 19, 2008 1:58:59 AM

20. "My gaydar goes off when I see him. Anyone else?"

HAHAHAHA, yes! It seems despite their hatred of gays, prominent religious homophobes have no qualms about having gay sex.

Posted by: CP | Nov 19, 2008 2:33:43 AM

21. Why the fuck are our civil rights being vetted on the fucking View? Is this where America is at in 2008? Direct action is in order!

Posted by: busytimmy | Nov 19, 2008 2:38:57 AM

22. As it now stands,religious zelots get more constitutionally protected rights than GLBT folks. Perhaps if someone started killing these zelots then they might start "earning" their special rights.

Posted by: mike shackleford | Nov 19, 2008 3:00:39 AM

23. Have you ever seen Huckabee before he lost the weight?

Not to be "weight-ist", but do you think anyone would listen to him if he was that fat?

Posted by: gr8guyca | Nov 19, 2008 3:50:20 AM

24. I cannot stand this show. They constantly talk about gay people like they are the authority. They are such bigots.

Posted by: Bill | Nov 19, 2008 4:06:41 AM

25. Who listens to these people, like Mike Hukabee? I mean, what young person takes direction from such a tool? Same goes for James Dobson, I mean do they really take what these people say seriously? When I was younger, I rejected the whole notion of church and crap like that, I always just looked at the church as something you did, but not something you necessarily lived by. I thought the 60's taught us something. I don't know...scary to believe that people are raising their children with these thoughts. However, one saving grace is the Internet. Kids can learn a lot about what is going on outside...our younger people will certain not be so insulated.

Posted by: Paul | Nov 19, 2008 6:46:11 AM