Fashion Men | Food & Drink | Jack Mackenroth | News

BigGayDeal.com

Jack Mackenroth Creates Gigantic Chocolate Wonder Woman

Wonderwoman

Project Runway contestant Jack Mackenroth, Butter's pastry chef Zac Young and America's Next Top Model winner Jaslene Gonzalez collaborated for an entry in a superhero-themed chocolate fashion show for some big chocolate convention that happens in New York every year.

Mackenroth and young decided on Wonder Woman. Says Jack: "What mini-gay didn’t want to be Lynda Carter in the 70’s? Please. I’ve been practicing my Wonder Woman transformation spin since I was 3."

The results, as you can see, were sweet.

One more shot, and Jack's explanation of the ensemble, AFTER THE JUMP...

Jasww

Via Jack's blog:

"The assignment was to create a superhero costume out of chocolate, which I soon found was much easier said than done. I’m all about going big with runway designs so I wanted a FIERCE model. I immediately though of Jaslene Gonzalez from America’s Next Top Model because I knew she would work the runway and she sort of embodies Wonder Woman 2008. And HONEY–she did not disappoint. Logistically working with chocolate in a fashion context was a nightmare. Chocolate is not flexible and most superheroes are covered in spandex. Not cute. In the end I made the bodice and the leotard out of a base fabric and we covered the bodice in white chocolate paillettes that were sprayed with red cocoa powder and edible glitter. We velcroed white chocolate stars to her leotard and all over her belt, headband and cuffs. She had chocolate earrings and stars on her boots. Her hair was a massive wig and perched on top of her head was a white chocolate “invisible” jet surrounded by chocolate shooting stars. It was a delicate dance between wanting to get her outfit completed and doing it fast enough so it didn’t melt into a puddle of hot cocoa before the show."

Comments

1. Does it take a designer to glue chocolate onto an outfit?

Posted by: Carl | Nov 10, 2008 12:53:26 PM

2. It's so comforting to know that after our community's biggest setback in over two decades Fag Triviality lives on.

Posted by: Leland Frances | Nov 10, 2008 1:05:25 PM

3. Why did they put a skeleton in a Wonder Woman outfit? And did that queen need to make it any more obvious what a flamer he is by posing like that? We need change indeed.

Posted by: Matty | Nov 10, 2008 1:23:33 PM

4. "Fierce model", "work the runway" - oh please! Nothing against this Jaslene - but come on - this is the most insipid thing I've read in a long time. All he had to say was - "I got the assignment and it was tough but I worked it out!" Period.

Posted by: Schniffy | Nov 10, 2008 1:23:40 PM

5. I, for one, welcome a bit of frivolity and joy. Yes, it's been an incredibly painful week, but let's not ever forget the individuality, creativity and diversity that has been such an important and valued aspect of the gay community for so long.

You go Jack!

Posted by: matt | Nov 10, 2008 1:59:35 PM

6. Triviality

so having fun at the opening event for the NYC Chocolate Show, a fantasy fashion show with donations going to Breast Cancer.

Why are people such assholes?

I'm sure he's pissed about Prop 8 too, but bitch needs to get paid....I mean thats what he does for a living.

Posted by: fucker | Nov 10, 2008 2:36:08 PM

7. Ignore the ever present ramblings of the bitter old troll under the bridge...

Posted by: Derek | Nov 10, 2008 2:36:56 PM

8. Ignore the ever present ramblings of the bitter old troll under the bridge...

Posted by: Derek | Nov 10, 2008 2:37:49 PM

9. Oh, come on, Leland. Without "queens" the gay world would be as dull and boring as the straight world. Nothing but breeding babies and going to war.

We don't want to hand the gay world over to the Jeffrey Dahmers, do we?

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Nov 10, 2008 3:22:36 PM

10. Matty,

Jeez, can we be a little nicer? The model is a woman. She's a mixed-race Puerto Rican model who won last year's America's Next Top Model (read Andy's blurb).

It's important to remember that Towleroad has always been a mix of politics, civil rights, fashion, science, and entertainment news. The trivial stuff is part of the mix.

Posted by: noah | Nov 10, 2008 3:31:20 PM

11. I have to agree with those that enjoy a bit of triviality once in awhile.
    If you don't, then stop reading this blog. We can't live in a world full of doom and gloom. I for one am sick of it. So, while I don't agree with all of the editors choices of content, it is after all HIS blog, not yours. If you want to read doom and gloom stuff all the time, start your own blog.
    in the mean time, keep up the Fag-tastic work Andy.

Posted by: Crash | Nov 10, 2008 5:17:14 PM

12. That is fabulous Jack - Work it out.

Posted by: ken | Nov 10, 2008 6:18:30 PM

13. I am a straight female and it always fascinates me how gay men are so nasty to other gay men. As a minority group you'd think you would support eachother. Jealousy is so unattractive.

Posted by: Hollie | Nov 10, 2008 6:21:14 PM

14. Go to Jacks blOG BITCHES - IF YOU WANT TO TO READ ABOUT HIV SUPPORT OR PROP COMPLAINTS.GEEZ. TALK ABOUT A BUNCH OF SNARLY QUEENS.

Posted by: CARL | Nov 10, 2008 6:24:06 PM