News | Oregon | Stu Rasmussen | Transgender

BigGayDeal.com

L.A. Times Profiles Popular Transgender Mayor Stu Rasmussen

Rasmussen

The L.A. Times has published a big profile on Stu Rasmussen, the nation's first transgender mayor. Rasmussen was elected by the people of Silverton, Oregon on November 4th:

"Rasmussen, longtime manager of the local cinema, was also elected mayor in 1988 and 1990, and served four years -- but that was when he was wearing slacks and sport shirts to council meetings. The new Rasmussen -- who got breast implants a few years ago and began calling himself Carla Fong -- wears skirts, lipstick and high heels. The thing is, Rasmussen's been a fixture in this small former lumber mill town so long, people tend not to pay much attention to what he's wearing."

Rasmussen notices when they do though: "Guys come up to me in the bar and say, 'Hate to tell you this, but I saw this woman on the street the other day, and I'm thinking, great legs, nice tan, and she turns around and I go, 'Oh, my God, it's Stu!''...If I could have a face transplant, it'd be perfect. A face like this, only a mother could love. But people overlook the face now, because there's all this other real estate."

Rasmussen's gender identity has earned him notice nationally, and you could have bet on this:

"The Westboro Baptist Church of Topeka, Kan., known for its protests across the country targeting gays, plans to picket Monday in downtown Silverton 'to speak some words of truth to this 60-year-old pervert,' according to the church's website."

Comments

1. that is very nice!

Posted by: J | Nov 20, 2008 3:09:04 PM

2. But is he gay? It doesn't matter--he's wonderful!

I get tired of regular people. They're every f,,kin' where.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Nov 20, 2008 3:12:41 PM

3. I am happy that he is happy. Everyone should find what brings them joy in their lives. I feel sorry for those pathetic Westboro folks, do they ever have a speck of happiness?

Posted by: homer | Nov 20, 2008 3:25:02 PM

4. Actually, he's not gay. A saw a thing about him on TV.

Kudos to him tho and I hope God shits a lightning bolt on those stupid Westboro Baptist folks.

Posted by: Wes | Nov 20, 2008 3:25:29 PM

5. It took me a few minutes to realize why Carla Fong rang a bell. Very funny, and I guess it makes sense seeing as he was a cinema owner.

Posted by: Crash | Nov 20, 2008 3:29:24 PM

6. This kind of thing doesn't help the gay community one bit.

Posted by: JJ | Nov 20, 2008 3:39:43 PM

7. Good lord, she looks a fright. Reminds me of a drag queen I used to know -- she loved to prance around in a miniskirt. "Lady, put it back on," the cab drivers used to shout. Ha!

Posted by: a wrinkled old guy with a knack for anal probing | Nov 20, 2008 3:39:59 PM

8. Those Westboro people are likely to get the Too Wong Foo treatment if they actually dare to show up. I hope somebody films it.

Posted by: Andrew K | Nov 20, 2008 3:41:48 PM

9. But JJ, he aint gay, says Wes.

We need more Larry Craigs...respectable, you know. What if Craig actually did a big #2 and there was no toilet paper, but someone began tapping--do you think he could've resisted? Or would he have gone on and done the nasty with a nasty booty?

Interesting question...don't you agree?

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Nov 20, 2008 4:14:31 PM

10. I commend her efforts I really, really do. But am I the only one who wants to by her some Herbal Essences and take her to a salon? I know she used to be a man but a little effort would be nice.

Posted by: Pekemo | Nov 20, 2008 4:47:41 PM

11. He probably did use Herbal Essences, that's why it looks like that. But, kudos to him and hopes he has a long and happy life. In the end, that's all that matters.

Posted by: davefromtampa | Nov 20, 2008 4:56:13 PM

12. Stu ROCKS!! How fantastic that someone this 'alt' has become mayor. Since he's NOT gay, it's not too fair to say "he's not helping the gay community'. However, community is an *inclusive* word, so I happen to think he's helping any community he's a part of. Right on Stu.

Posted by: pickles | Nov 20, 2008 9:40:19 PM

13. I'm totally cool with transgender equality and rights.

In this case, unfortunately, though, it's troublesome to see a public figure be arguably inappropriately erotic in presentation -- the bare cleavage and necklace looking like what you might expect a sex worker to wear.

I know this is a small-town mayor, and I really don't terribly care about this matter, but, consider: How would you react to a middle-aged (or not) female non-T politician dressed like that? Or would you see Obama going around in a silk disco shirt unbutton to his navel? (I'm sure he'd look hot, actually, but it would also feel not right for someone who wants to be taken seriously.)

Again, this is no big deal, but I feel bad for transgendered folk who have limited public role models. Yes, exactly analogous deal re Larry Craig -- I don't want a restroom troll to be a role model for gay men! Same issue re Mark Foley - ugh.

All that said, I am glad that Carla is happy, and I hope the town is cool with her.

Posted by: Mike | Nov 20, 2008 10:40:39 PM

14. Just read the full article.

I guess transgendered politicians can be bimboish and inappropriate just like cisgendered Katherine Harris of Florida.

Posted by: Mike | Nov 20, 2008 10:46:52 PM

15. I take issue with calling him transgendered. The only surgery he has undergone is breast implants, he's not on any hormones and retains male genitalia. My opinion is that perhaps the 'trans' label (let's call it what it is) doesn't necessarily apply here.

I agree with the part about the clothing. A member of my family actually works at Silverton City Hall, where Stu will soon have an office, and I think a lot of the people there wouldn't have an issue with him if he were to dress professionally on the job, even if it's female professional attire.

Hasn't Hillary Clinton proved there's nothing wrong with pant suits?

Posted by: BEN | Nov 20, 2008 11:41:02 PM

16. She's fucking fabulous! I love her sense of humour :)

Posted by: Chaq | Nov 21, 2008 7:06:04 AM

17. Isn't it about time we stopped calling Westboro Baptist a "church"? They are a group of hate-filled people whose only agenda is to spread their hate at taxpayer expense. Their agenda is to spread fear among local citizens.

Let's call them what they are: a domestic terrorist group.

Posted by: Keith | Nov 21, 2008 8:56:00 AM

18. according to the people in the beyonce post below, this guy is another sterotype, why are we talking about him, when we can talk about masculine striaght-acting gay men like anderson cooper and kevin spacey (oh sorry we are still waiting for them to COME OUT), so that society can finally accept us?

don't you know that this man/woman (whatever) and shane are taking the community back a century or two?

take down this post. NOW.

Posted by: johnosahon | Nov 21, 2008 10:04:24 AM

19. johnosahon is an example of that kind of fag who is ashamed of his fellow fags, you know the effeminate, mincing types, the drag queens, the trannies, etc. anyone who does not measure up to his ideal of MANLINESS -- those effeminate and not so effeminate fags who are anathema to him much like the old aunt jemima logos was to the blacks. in his heart he truly believes that if you just act butch, be straight acting, straight appearing you will be accepted by society...

if that was true then why doesn't anderson cooper come out of his closet?

...so that's why fags want to get married and adopt children i guess to prove to the world that they are just plain normal folk, is that it johnosahon?

like miss derrick said, there are already too many boring people in this world... i for one appreciate and say bravo to the "freaks"...

Posted by: a wrinkled old guy with a knack for anal probing | Nov 21, 2008 12:05:36 PM

20. WRINKLED OLD GUY WITH THE KNACK....(oh, my)

I think JOHNOSAHON was being sarcastic and supportive of fem gay men. He has the exact same view of Spacey and Cooper that you do.

Anyway, I always loved Aunt Jemima, and I've managed to keep all my teeth, and more waistline than I care to discuss...no, no more Aunt Jemima for me. It's that "no calorie" shit from now on. Too bad they don't make no calorie vodka--I'd still be lookin' like Dorothy Dandridge.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Nov 21, 2008 12:17:14 PM

21. it seems mike and johnosahon have much in common... stu's overt, "bimboish" and teasing sexuality disturbs mike who has an issue with tea room trolls... well, i'm not a tea room troll but have known several in my time and they are fun people much more fun no doubt than some of the sanitized, straight acting straight appearing men he would hold up to us as role models... i'd much prefer a troll with cum dripping from his lips to anderson cooper who remains in the closet... he'd have some great stories to tell no doubt, the troll that is... and remember trolls need our love and respect too...

ah my dear, again what a bore... it seems this current crop of queers is offended by life and want to crawl back into the clean suburbs away from the "filth and degredation" that sometimes is gay life... quelle dommage ma cheri...

"inappropriate" he says... he sounds sterile to me, like those gay couples who would adopt because they cannot procreate... what a bore this current crop of fags is turning out to be, but let us hope they are in the minority...

Posted by: a wrinkled old guy with a knack for anal probing | Nov 21, 2008 12:21:55 PM

22. Wow. The comments are intriguing than the news.

Posted by: dave | Nov 21, 2008 1:54:02 PM

23. Pardonez moi.

The comments are more intriguing than the news.

Posted by: d | Nov 21, 2008 1:56:32 PM

24. Keith is right. The Westboro Baptist cretins are coming to Silverton, Oregon from Kansas (that's a long way) to speak "words of truth" to the duly elected mayor? What about the good people of Silverton who elected Mayor Rasmussen?

Something tells me the reception won't be too gracious.

We need more trans (whatever) mayors to keep those westboro morons on the road.

Posted by: Friday | Nov 21, 2008 2:22:24 PM

25. aw man, i wanna play "bogus trivia".

Posted by: snuh | Nov 21, 2008 3:19:54 PM