Boyzone | Couples | Gay Marriage | Great Britain | Music | Music Video | News

New Boyzone Video features Stephen Gately and His Husband

Boyzone1

Or his "civil partner" if you want to get technical about it.

Boyzone claims they're the first "boyband" to feature a gay couple in a video for their new single "Better". Actor/singer John Barrowman recently released a video featuring a gay couple as well.

Said Gately to the BBC: "For me, it's just me being me and I don't think there should be a real big issue about the whole thing anyway. I just think it's just a beautiful video and I think it works superbly for the song. I'm hoping this video will have a good, positive, all-round reaction."

Gately joined with his husband Andy Cowles in a civil partnership in 2006.

Watch the video, AFTER THE JUMP...

Boyzone2

Comments

1. Actually Christina's Beatiful video had a same sex couple and they made out in it. This video is cute, though.

Posted by: davefromtampa | Nov 12, 2008 11:11:46 AM

2. That awful song ruined it for me!

I thought every boy band video ever made featured at least one gay couple...

Posted by: JP | Nov 12, 2008 11:15:56 AM

3. not his actual partner though - they were all actors. Cool none the less.

Posted by: JonathanW | Nov 12, 2008 11:50:59 AM

4. Awful? Really? I thought it was beautiful, but hey... what do I know.

Posted by: JayDub | Nov 12, 2008 11:53:14 AM

5. Gorgeous song- gorgeous video! I wish there were a US release!

Posted by: Nealzebub | Nov 12, 2008 12:08:03 PM

6. I actually liked this song a lot. Compared to some of their other songs, it's better.

Posted by: writestuff | Nov 12, 2008 12:13:17 PM

7. Hey, Great for Stephen. I liked the song a lot, especially in some of the tough times some of us are going through. I think he has gotten better with age. Maybe it's the husband.
    Cheers,
    -Daniel

Posted by: Daniel O'Neil | Nov 12, 2008 12:16:17 PM

8. According to the BBC, the partner was played by an actor. But still - who cares

Posted by: Portugal | Nov 12, 2008 12:17:42 PM

9. Christina Aguilera isn't a boyband, though. The point is that they are allegedly the first BOYBAND to feature a gay couple, not that they are the first artists ever.

You can read an interesting article about the history of gay people in music videos here:

My favourite fact: Bruce Springsteen included both gay and lesbian couples in his video for 'Tougher than the Rest', way back in 1988. But I don't think the E-Street Band count as a boyband ;)

Posted by: Sasha | Nov 12, 2008 12:46:45 PM

10. Beautiful song and video. Got me teary-eyed... welcome back Boyzone...

Posted by: Wayne | Nov 12, 2008 2:36:33 PM

11. Beautiful song and video. Got me teary-eyed... welcome back Boyzone...

Posted by: Wayne | Nov 12, 2008 2:36:51 PM

12. Positive media representation of LGTB people is always good news, but the this song is maudlin, cloying, and oppressively formulaic. In short... Dreck.

Posted by: Bryan | Nov 12, 2008 3:05:00 PM

13. Wow, I thought the song and the video were absolutely beautiful. It brought me to tears.

The inclusivity of the video made it all the more moving and beautiful to me.

Kudos Boyzone!

Posted by: Zeke | Nov 12, 2008 3:13:21 PM

14. Hey! I love maudlin, cloying and formulaic songs, especially when they're as well crafted and marvelously performed as this one is. Great video, too.

Posted by: Joseph | Nov 12, 2008 4:20:40 PM

15. I heard that the first idea was for their real partners to be in the video but all of them said no. So the enxt best thing was to cast people who reflect their real live relationships -- Stephen Gately gets a guy while another gets a black woman.

Posted by: Glenn | Nov 12, 2008 5:02:04 PM

16. I agree with Joseph - maudlin, cloying and formulaic songs can be great if brilliantly executed (see: Beyonce, If I Were A Boy). Thanks for posting a link to this video, Andy. Boyzone has a new fan.

Posted by: beb | Nov 12, 2008 8:24:29 PM

17. the song is lovely.

it's a cover of american TOM BAXTER's song, which you can listen to here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxJDy9vxyqo

the video is similar, and the american version also featured gay couples.

i like.

Posted by: tobethatguy | Nov 12, 2008 11:35:16 PM

18. Umm... Tom Baxter isn't American... He's British.

His version of 'Better' did well in the States (and Ireland funnily enough) but not so well in the UK, so for most UK citizens the Boyzone version will be the first time they've heard it.

Also, their video is VERY different from Tom's... just because they both have various couples in doens't make them the same.

In Boyzones video, it's the singers themselves who are partnered-up, Tom is standing alone playing guitar.

AND The big difference is that it's one of the lead singers, Stephen Gately, who is actually in the gay clinch in... this is totally unique for boybands... and pretty unique for ANY mainstream pop band.

Posted by: Steve UK | Nov 13, 2008 10:12:29 AM

19. Um, I uunderstand that it is not Gately's partner in the vid, but an actor, as partner didn't want to appear... only going by what I glanced in the Irish media today.

Posted by: SeanR | Nov 13, 2008 4:20:21 PM

20. Yeah, Tom Baxter's version is so much better...

Posted by: Eric | Nov 13, 2008 8:09:29 PM