Arizona | Art and Design | Barack Obama | Brad Pitt | Cleve Jones | Crime | Great Britain | Guy Ritchie | Madonna | Mike Huckabee | Mormon | New York | News | Palm Springs | Pete Wentz | Proposition 8 | Republican Party | Tennessee | Transgender | Utah | Wentworth Miller

BigGayDeal.com

News: Aaron Harvey, Sundance, Brad Pitt, Home Depot, Cleve Jones

road.jpg Former Memphis police officer pleads not guilty to civil rights charges in the videotaped beating of transgender woman Duanna Johnson while she was in custody: "Johnson, a biological male who lived as a woman, was being booked on a prostitution charge when the incident happened. A videotape of the beating was broadcast on Memphis TV stations and online in June, leading to McRae's firing. His former partner, James Swain, 25, was also fired." Today is the National Transgender Day of Remembrance.

Grassroad.jpg It's what being single does to a girl.

road.jpg Guy Ritchie won't take a cent.

road.jpg Two men plead not guilty to gay bashing murder of Liverpool teen Michael Causer.

road.jpg Obama taps Arizona Governor Janet Napolitano as Homeland Security secretary. Politico: "Napolitano is a border governor who will now be responsible for immigration policy and border security, which are part of Homeland Security’s myriad functions. Napolitano brings law and order experience from her stint as the Grand Canyon State’s first female attorney general. One of the nation’s most prominent female elected officials, she made frequent appearances on behalf of Barack Obama during the campaign. She was reelected to a second four-year term in 2006."

road.jpg Brad Pitt comes face-to-Skype with a Bradaloonie.

road.jpg The truth about Phyliss Burgess, the old lady who had her cross stomped at the Palm Springs 'No on 8' rally.

road.jpg Detroit sports radio personality loses football bet, comes to work in drag.

Aaronharveyroad.jpg An interview with Aaron Harvey, whose work was the inspiration for the now well-known Shepard Fairey "Defend Equality" image: "I landed on a design that was certainly not new, but was new this go around -- a raised fist of solidarity, with a twist: this fist also had a wedding band on it. The color scheme was also deliberate. The official "No on 8" campaign was using a green check in their campaign which I felt was a visual oxymoron. I knew red needed to be part of the design. When I showed it to friends and colleagues some of them said 'Oooh that's kind of angry, how are you going to persuade people sitting on the fence with that?' Well, for me, it wasn't about persuading the other side. It was about my side, and getting my side to realize there was something they needed to get up and defend!"

Wentzroad.jpg Pete Wentz on having his man part manscaping revealed to the world: "Honestly, I felt slightly overgrown in those pictures. If I had taken them for public consumption, I would have done it differently—groomed a little closer, better lighting."

road.jpg Huckabee: Prop 8 did not ban same-sex marriage, it affirmed traditional marriage.

road.jpg Campaign to move Sundance Film Festival out of Utah launches website.

road.jpg New York's Triborough bridge renamed for Robert F. Kennedy.

road.jpg Wentworth Miller to be out of work soon?

Clevesroad.jpg Time Out New York interviews activist Cleve Jones: "I think there are lots of Harveys out there, but the movement has changed. The charismatic individual leaders who were able to get things done by the sheer force of their personalities—we don’t see them anymore. In Harvey’s day, we didn’t have infrastructure. We just had individuals with big ideas and big mouths. When Harvey ran for office, we had to raise $30,000 to get him elected, and that was a challenge. Today there are hundreds of gay organizations around the country that routinely raise and spend millions a year. We didn’t have community centers, churches and youth groups, and of course, we didn’t have HIV/AIDS. I think people like Harvey and myself are really anachronisms. Probably the last leader of that style was Larry Kramer."

road.jpg Home Depot founder Bernie Marcus on electing Republicans: "If a retailer has not gotten involved with this, if he has not spent money on this election, if he has not sent money to Norm Coleman and these other guys, [then those retailers] should be shot; should be thrown out of their goddamn jobs."

Comments

1. While Wentworth Miller is sure pretty, Prison Break is the worst crap on TV. I have seen every episode since the pilot and each season gets worse and worse. They clearly never anticipated a fourth season because it is laughable.

PS so is Heroes.

Posted by: Dan B | Nov 20, 2008 3:59:04 PM

2. Turn both shows off if you watch TV and turn on "How I Met Your Mother" on CBS. Not only is Neil Patrick Harris openly gay and very cute, the show is downright hilarious.

Posted by: Dan B | Nov 20, 2008 4:07:04 PM

3. Easily the best Madge has looked in YEARS but then she fucked it up with that dress. I don't care how fashion-forward some of you might think it is, it's horrid.

Posted by: freddy | Nov 20, 2008 4:10:00 PM

4. @DAN B

Apparently, the awfulness of the show hasn't stopped you from watching every episode . . .

Posted by: Joel | Nov 20, 2008 4:12:15 PM

5. true, JOEL.

I keep praying for a Lost-like turnaround. But it seems I am one of the only few who hasn't stopped. Perhaps if any network made anything but shit this new season I would watch something else.

Posted by: Dan B | Nov 20, 2008 4:18:00 PM

6. i'm glad to see cleve jones is still around. i still remember the time he gave me a big kiss during the pride parade in SF back in the early 90s when i was dancing on a float.

Posted by: alguien | Nov 20, 2008 4:38:05 PM

7. It was not the State of Utah that was exporting the hate and bigotry, it was the Mormon church who happens to be headquartered in Utah. I am a gay Utahn, and sure as hell know that I did not export any hate or bigotry. It is totally ridiculous to run a campaign like this insinuating that everyone in Utah is, a) Mormon, or b) a perpetrator of hate and discrimination in this state. If they are being this technical, it was the State of California that sadly voted to pass prop. 8. Does this mean that Hollywood should uproot and move from there? Come on people.

Posted by: donoso78 | Nov 20, 2008 5:27:34 PM

8. donoso78,

I'm a resident of Florida.

Now you know how I felt after the 2000 election.

Or, how Ohioans felt after the 2004 election.

Or, how....oh, you get it.

Painting with a broad stroke is never a good idea.

Posted by: steve | Nov 20, 2008 6:01:37 PM

9. Madonna borrowed that outfit from Wilma Flinstone.

Posted by: Keith | Nov 20, 2008 6:02:11 PM

10. I'm not feeling that Louis Vuitton dress Madonna is wearing, but from the neck up she's FAB. This divorce is really agreeing with her.

Posted by: michael | Nov 20, 2008 6:25:38 PM

11. MIKE HUCKABEE IS A LYING PIECE OF SHIT!!!!

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Nov 20, 2008 7:14:07 PM

12. So Bernie Marcus is a poopyhead. He's also been retired from Home Depot for six years, so I'm not sure why we need to throw the company into it.

Posted by: Jerry | Nov 20, 2008 7:54:17 PM

13. I stopped shopping at Home Depot after they fired all of their expert employees and replaced them with low-paid bitter drones.

Posted by: niles | Nov 20, 2008 11:12:49 PM

14. I'm thrilled to see Aaron getting the credit he is due for that poster!!!

I honestly think Shepard Fairey missed the point a bit by not including the ring, which is what made Aaron's original design so damn cool.

Posted by: Aman Chaudhary | Nov 21, 2008 12:48:37 AM

15. I've spent a lot of money at Home Depot - I mean several tens of thousands of dollars for renovations (my husband and I did the grunt work ourselves), never a penny again. I sent an email to Ron Defeo, VP of Corporate Communications.

In all honesty, I'm a Democrat and if Mr Marcus wants to support Republicans to the point of making absurd public statements, then screw him and the company he rode in on.

Posted by: dave | Nov 21, 2008 1:05:30 AM

16. IT'S AMAZING WHAT A LITTLE SCOTT'S 'TURF BUILDER PLUS 2' CAN DO TO A DRESS...SHE NEEDS TO BREAK OUT THE WEED WACKER.

Posted by: CLIFF | Nov 21, 2008 10:10:16 AM

17. Arthur Blank supports Barack Obama. He's a co-founder of Home Depot.

Posted by: Jason (A) | Nov 21, 2008 10:15:00 AM

18. Well, this is not exactly in line with this thread but I could not wait to bring it to the table. Obama's firts "lie"....and I said right here on Towleroad that he would be elected on the backs of gays!

President-elect Barack Obama will not move for months, and perhaps not until 2010, to ask Congress to end the military's decades-old ban on open homosexuals in the ranks, two people who have advised the Obama transition team on this issue say.

Repealing the ban was an Obama campaign PROMISE. However, Mr. Obama first wants to confer with the Joint Chiefs of Staff and his new political appointees at the Pentagon to reach a consensus and then present legislation to Congress, the advisers said.

WOW! No surprises here, just another dem telling us what we want to hear! At least Bill was in office and tried to do something! Obama cannot even make it into office before the gays get thrown overboard!!!! Nice one....as I said before to all of those that said he was "better for us"; do NOT pick out your china pattern!

Posted by: RB | Nov 21, 2008 9:37:25 PM

19. Of course we were looking for "change". I am just not sure that anyone was expecting Obama's change to be in his promises. I suppose being stabbed in the back is ok for the sake of "change"!

Posted by: RB | Nov 21, 2008 9:47:11 PM

20. But, RB, Bill tried to do something and FAILED, hence DADT. As much as I know you'd love to say, "I told you so," never mind what's right for the country (since we all know McCain would be repealing DADT asap, haha), did it ever occur to you that Obama simply wants to implement pro-gay legislation in the smartest way possible? Given the mess Bush has gotten us into, gay issues aren't going to be priority #1, that's the unfortunate fact, but since Obama has yet to take office, your stabbing in the back suggestion seems like premature ejaculation. Shooting your bitter wad just a tad early.

Posted by: Ernie | Nov 21, 2008 11:13:49 PM

21. ERNIE: Well said. I ♥ U

Posted by: David R. | Nov 22, 2008 1:01:36 AM

22. Oh LORD, RB, get a freakin life. I'm so tired of you trying to dig up any dirt on "liberals" or "democrats", you're just making it worse not better. If you really cared, try breaking party lines and seeing the individual for who they are and their beliefs. It must be tired seeing the world through Sarah Palin eyes...

Posted by: CJ | Nov 22, 2008 2:10:52 AM

23. Sundance is a beacon of progress to Utah. If you want to strike a blow, come to the festival, get in front of a news camera looking for stars and make some news. Moving the festival, or a boycott hurts ME working at a hotel, hurts my BOYFRIEND working at a restaurant, our FRIENDS who cater the parties. Is this any way to repay the money gay Utahns sent to fight Prop 8? One of the founders of Word Perfect wrote a pretty big check. What about the gay Utahns who marched to Temple Square in protest. The people who created the Move Sundance site were brave enough to give everyones contact information but their own. I have a big job changing minds here and don't need help from COWARDS like that.

Posted by: Rikard | Nov 22, 2008 3:45:58 AM

24. Ernie, I would rather fight the devil I know rather than believe the "friend" that turns into a foe.

McCain would not repeal DADT, he said that. However, Obama said he would and now it is potentially being shelved for up to half of his legislation. And why? Why do you suppose that is? Can anyone look beyond January? Dems are in control of congress, the most liberal is pres, the third most liberal is VP and liberal beyond all is speaker of the house. If the dems are so good for us why would they not pass the legislation before the center-right US population throw out Pelosi in mid term elections? Do you really think that all of the blue dog dems and left wingers are going to be re-elected in two years given their current approval ratings? Do you really think that a more conservative mid term congress will be willing to take up this debate? Again, why did Obama decide to wait until possibly 2010? Could it be because he knows that it will be an election year and not appropriate to bring up when so many libs are up for re-election? If you cannot see the writing on the wall then I am blown away! This was a political decision as carefully crafted as his other campaign promises. Let's see if he keeps them or if he gives us more reasons to protest!

The ONLY thing that Obama has to offer me is gay rights and he just turned his back on his first campaign promise! The dem party is a party of largely one issue voters that rarely all get what they want. I will spend the next four years pushing for gay rights because he promised them, we have the best oportunity to get them as we have the most liberal government in history and because everyone here told me that I would get them! Well it is time for him to put up because I will not let up!!!

Posted by: RB | Nov 22, 2008 8:32:29 AM

25. being shelved for half of his administration not legislation. Sorry for the typo....hopefully that was the last one.

Posted by: RB | Nov 22, 2008 8:35:49 AM