Activism | California | Mormon | New York | News | Proposition 8

Massive Proposition 8 Update: Protests, News, and Video

Parade

road.jpg PROTESTS: New Yorkers, there's a peaceful demonstration THIS WEDNESDAY outside the Mormon Temple in Manhattan at 6:30 pm. Please bring SIGNS and/or CANDLES. There's a NATIONWIDE action being planned called JOIN THE IMPACT for November 15th. Check HERE for details for your city. There's also march on Salt Lake City being organized. Protest signs for download.

road.jpg In case you missed it, earlier today I posted about Drew Barrymore and James Franco joining the Silver Lake protest, and over the weekend posted about the Salt Lake, San Diego, and San Francisco demonstrations.

road.jpg Anderson Cooper discusses Proposition 8 with Jeffrey Toobin, Roland Martin, and Hilary Rosen.

road.jpg Weekend marches also included San Jose: "Dozens of gay-marriage advocates gathered Friday in downtown San Jose to protest voter approval this week of a state constitutional amendment that California will recognize marriage between a man and a woman only. 'Demand resolution, give us back our constitution!' chanted the crowd of about 75 gay and heterosexual Silicon Valley residents gathered at the Plaza de Cesar Chavez as passing cars honked their horns in approval." And Sacramento. There were dozens of additional protests all across California. 15 were arrested in Long Beach.

road.jpg Students in Fresno, 40 of them, blockaded the entrance to City Hall today in protest of the mayor's support of Prop 8.

road.jpg ROTTEN TEETH: 102 out of 103 dentists voted for Proposition 8?

road.jpg Tonight on Los Angeles area radio station KPFK from 8-9, there is a radio show regarding Proposition 8 featuring journalist Karen Ocamb, Equality California's Geoff Kors, Lambda Legal's senior legal counself Jenny Pizer, deputy campaign manager for 'No on 8' Sky Johnson, and activist Ron Buckmire.

Ldschurchvandalroad.jpg Vandals attack 3 LDS churches in Layton, Utah: "It has happened on the heels of vandalism at LDS church buildings in California that appears to be in retaliation for supporting prop 8, the so called Ban Against Gay Marriage. What investigators were trying to find out Sunday was it the motive in Layton? As LDS Church members arrived for services Sunday morning they were greeted with shattered glass. Julian Berglund said when she saw the vandalism she was scared. 'Seeing my church where I come every Sunday… it kind of just hurt in a way.' Julian’s mother, Pat Berglund, said, 'I feel badly for those people that have such anger within them that they would do something like this… I just hope that people’s hearts will be softened, that they will realize the Gospel… teaches us to love one another and not do things like this.'"

Temecularoad.jpg Lesbian couple feels post-election isolation in conservative neighborhood, nails sign to tree: "Shall we vote on your marriage now?"

road.jpg Protests outside Mormon Temples stop Mormon marriages: "Whenever opponents of Proposition 8, the ballot measure that eliminates the right of gays and lesbians to legally marry in California, protest outside a Mormon temple, they effectively stop church members from getting married, according Levi Jackman Foster, an ex-Mormon who lives in West Hollywood. Foster, a 22-year-old, openly gay man, should know. As the great-great-grandson of Nathaniel Tanner, one of the founders of the Mormon Church, Foster has an intimate knowledge of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. The ex-Mormon is also related to Levi Jackman, who surveyed the land where the church created its national headquarters in Salt Lake City, Utah. 'A temple is the only place (Mormons) can get married,' Foster says, 'if they want to get sealed to God.' A Mormon temple, in other words, plays a vital role in a religion that strongly promotes marriage among its members. 'Whenever protesters show up,' Foster explains further, 'they close the gates (at the temple) so no one can get in. It becomes a convent where no one can get married.'"

Ddrinkingfountainroad.jpg FLASHBACK: Mormons gave $500,000 of total $600,000 budget to try and ban same-sex marriage in Alaska in 1998. (via americablog)

road.jpg Sorry California, and shame on the LDS church.

road.jpg Roman Catholic Church in the U.S. thanks its supporters for passing Proposition 8: "Cardinal Roger Mahony of the Archdiocese of Los Angeles thanked his parishioners in a statement he released a day after the election. 'I am grateful to the Catholic Community of Los Angeles for your commitment to the institution of marriage as fashioned by God and to work with such energy to enshrine this divine plan into our state's Constitution,' he said." Salt Lake City's Catholic bishop John Wester seconds that.

road.jpg There was also a protest in Seattle.

Smelthammerroad.jpg California same-sex couple taking their fight to federal court: "Smelt and Hammer, both 49, went to federal court to force Orange County to marry them in 2004, but the U.S. Supreme Court refused to hear their case. Since then, their federal lawsuit has been in limbo. Now it's alive again, with a fresh twist: The complaint seeks to have the state constitution, as amended by Prop. 8, be declared unconstitutional under rights guaranteed under the U.S. Constitution, said their attorney, Richard G. Gilbert."

road.jpg Officials: 130,000 San Francisco ballots still untallied. "With an expected 20,000 ballots processed per day going forward, the counting will take until the end of next week, maybe longer, according to Arntz, who said he has 400 staff members and temporary workers on the task."

road.jpg Lee Stranahan: Four lessons gay marriage activists can learn from Obama.

road.jpg A CBS News report on the Prop 8 protests and interview with George Takei,
AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I think that the protesters are going about things all wrong. One of the major reasons Prop 8 passed was because people were afraid it was an attack on thier religious liberties. So what does everyone do when it passed? Attack churches and criticize religious liberties. People also voted Yes on it because they were upset about the courts over turning the rule of the people. So what's the second thing we do? Try to get the courts to over throw the will of the people again. Profanity, violance, distruction of property, name calling... they all just work against us. Instead we ought to focus on restoring the individual rights that are lost, and down the road revisit the marriage issue. Make friends not enemies. Be smart not stupid.

Posted by: Niemsters | Nov 11, 2008 1:43:25 AM

2. NIEMSTERS,
    What you are saying is just to do what we have all along, sit back and take it until the courts side with us? Slowly, every state is voting our rights away. WE HAVE SAT BACK FOR THE LAST 8 YEARS, WHERE HAS IT GOTTEN US? The gay community needs to quit being pacifists and become activists. Your attitude, and no offense, is the reason we are where we are...losing our rights!

Posted by: MP | Nov 11, 2008 2:25:17 AM

3. I had no idea where to post this, but I wanted to post something.

I am 52 years old. My wife and I live in Montana. I have lived in Montana my entire life. I haven't known many gay people, but I've been watching what's happening in CA and I want to tell everyone involved this: You must hold firm in your belief that you are on the side of right and justice. You are fighting an historically important fight. You join an important and select group of Americans who have stood up and sacrificed so that all of us can be free.

We wanted to thank you. We will do what we can to support you. Keep up the fight.

Posted by: Scott | Nov 11, 2008 2:58:57 AM

4. http://icarus.blogtownhall.com/2008/11/10/hate_directed_at_catholics,_evangelicals__mormons_why_not_muslims.thtml

Posted by: Cassius | Nov 11, 2008 3:50:49 AM

5. I am so pissed off with this nation.
    So I guess we have to wait another 8 years until we get a president that agrees with us. Maybe in 1/20/2017 we can get a president that wants real change.

Posted by: brad | Nov 11, 2008 4:18:55 AM

6. Scott, thank you and your wife for your support. I hope eventually, everyone will have equal rights under the law.

Posted by: CB | Nov 11, 2008 4:27:58 AM

7. Shame on Mel Gibson for giving money to support Prop 8!

Links to a brilliant website where you can look up who contributed what.

Posted by: Sam | Nov 11, 2008 5:39:09 AM

8. @MP,

I don't think you meant to say the churches are "socialist". I think you meant "fascist", as in totalitarian and dictatorial.

Posted by: RJ | Nov 11, 2008 7:49:28 AM

9. Pat Berglund, said, 'I feel badly for those people that have such anger within them that they would do something like this… I just hope that people’s hearts will be softened, that they will realize the Gospel… teaches us to love one another and not do things like this.'"

she must be talking about supporting Prop 8.

Posted by: daisy | Nov 11, 2008 11:45:48 AM

10. MP, Chicago did protest this past Saturday. James Dobson's radio program, Focus on the Family, was being inducted into the Radio Hall of Fame by the Museum of Broadcast Communications. 200-300 people gathered outside opposing him and his stance on gay marriage. There was news coverage, too:

You can see pics here:

I'm assuming Andy hasn't posted anything about it because he didn't know, unless he did post something about it and I didn't see it, but now you all know! Go Chicago!

Posted by: Donny B | Nov 11, 2008 11:47:23 AM

11. Let's try that link again, if possible:

Gay_Activists_Protest_Dobsons_Induction
    _to_Hall_of_Fame.html

Posted by: Donny B | Nov 11, 2008 11:48:52 AM

12. The downloadable protest signs are great, and I'd love to use one at tomorrow's rally in NYC. Unfortunately -- and please pardon my ignorance -- but how do you get them to print on legal- or letter-sized paper? That's all my printer can accommodate, but the text seems to be just slightly larger, even when I reduce the margins to their lowest possible settings. Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks!

A-8

Posted by: Asphyxia 8 | Nov 11, 2008 4:11:44 PM

13. RJ, you are right, facist is a better term. I was just trying to put into perspective the point that they wanted to paint Obama and judges as socialist. However, your definition is much truer.

DONNY B, thanks for the info. I didn't see the protest mentioned on Towleroad either, only the initial call, but no follow-up. NBC local websites have a default, where it sends you directly to their homepage. So, when I tried the link, it just sent me to the homepage. I did a search on "dobson" on the site, and it brought me directly to the link. Thanks again, I had seen nothing on it.

ASPHYXIA 8, go back to the website http://williehewescomics.blogspot.com/2008/11/h8-graphics.html and with your mouse right click on the large pics shown (annotated as "GIF Versions for the WEB"). Then click on "Save Picture As" and save it to your computer. Then go to your print program (photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, etc.) and open that program. In the program, open the file (picture) so it shows on screen. Then go to print. Most print programs default to "fit to page", if not you might have to click on that. Then just print it out. That is as basic as I can get, since I don't know what programs you have on your computer. Let me know here if you were able to get it the way you wanted. Suggestions for others: Print out both and paste them side by side on poster board. Great for T-Shirt iron-ons too!

SCOTT, Welcome to the newest "civil rights" movement. You and your wife are welcomed with open arms.

Posted by: MP | Nov 11, 2008 5:05:39 PM

14. "Shame on You! Shame on you! Shame on you!

Is that all you guys can say? You sound like a bunch of retards and sissies. A bunch of chickens with their heads cut off if you ask me.

Posted by: Ideaguy | Nov 11, 2008 5:10:49 PM

15. So what's your idea...guy?

Posted by: David R. | Nov 12, 2008 2:59:31 AM

16. Regarding: Boycott these Mormon Owned Businesses:
    Black and Decker, Sky West, La Quinta, Franklin-Covey, American Express, Iomega, Huntsman Chemical, Oakley, Priceline Albertsons, Nu Skin, Marriot, Jet Blue, Novell, Bain Capital, Dell

Is it 100% confirmed, David T, that these companies are definitely all Mormon owned? Just wanna make sure I don't boycott someone that made a list by mistake...

Posted by: CK | Nov 15, 2008 11:46:36 PM