California | Gay Marriage | New York | News

Prop 8 Protest in New York City

N57450719688_1929Peaceful demonstration Wednesday night, November 12, 6:30 pm, New York Manhattan Mormon Temple, 125 Columbus Ave at 65th Street, New York, NY:

"Tens of thousands of our brothers and sisters are in the streets in California and Salt Lake City and around the country protesting the votes banning same-sex marriage in California. Join them! Make your voices heard right here in New York City. We will tell the Mormon Church how we feel about its relentless campaign to condemn and control our lives. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints was, by far, the biggest financer of California's heinous and hateful Proposition 8. The Mormon Church begged their members to donate money to Prop 8, pouring 20 million dollars into the campaign. And their attacks on us didn't start there and aren't about to end. They're plotting right now to bring their money and influence to bear against the LGBT community everywhere in this country, including trying to prevent marriage equality in New York."

Facebook page HERE.

Comments

1. Regarding the high-powered light:

Aren't there plenty of lighting technicians working in NYC theatres?

In LA, there has to be lots of lighting experts in Hollywood!

Posted by: VA MAN | Nov 9, 2008 5:49:09 PM

2. In addition to picketing the Mormon Church, it would make perfect sense to picket Knights of Columbus lodges. The Knights of Columbus made a $1.4 million contribution to Prop 8. No small amount of money!!!

Also, Maggie Gallagher should be picketed in any public appearance. Her National Organization for Marriage raised $1 million for Prop 8.

Check out the whole list here: http://www.californiansagainsthate.com/dishonorRoll.html.

I wonder if the customers of Lassens Health Food in Ventura, Calif. know that Lassens donated $25,000 to Prop 8? I bet the majority of their customers of that kind of business would be appalled. (Try Whole Foods or Trader Joe's instead.)

Practical/tactical note: I have no interest in registering for Facebook. So make sure all the info is available in other places, too.

Personal note to Andy Towle: A billion thanks for your help. This website has most comprehensive all-purpose resources on Prop 8 protests that I've found so far.

Posted by: Tom B. | Nov 9, 2008 6:13:37 PM

3. I think our time would be better spent organizing the fight against the "Gang of Four" anti-gay Democrats in the NY House of Reps. These four jerks think they can single-handedly stop gay marriage from happening in New York.

Posted by: Ricky | Nov 10, 2008 3:01:34 PM

4. To those protesting at the La Jolla Temple: Y'all should protest outside the La Jolla Temple on Saturday NOT Sunday. Mormon temples are used not for Sabbath worship, but other ceremonies, so they are busy Tuesday through Saturday and emtpy on Sundays.
    Saturdays are the busiest days at the temple, and they are closed Sundays and Monday evenings (for Family Home Evening on Mondays).

Posted by: Stenar | Nov 10, 2008 4:20:31 PM

5. Hey, here's just one Mormon speaking up on this page.

I can only speak for myself and those around me. Our voting and support for proposition 8 does not come from a position of hate, wanting to gay-bash, dehumanize, or anything like that. We're aren't trying to elect Mitt Romney to push through legislation in behalf of the church - please.

I actually believe in God, and the scriptures and modern revelation that teach that it is wrong. We reserve the right to preach a life style to our own children that we belief to be right and prescribed by God for them.
    I know that we have not spoken up so loudly in the past, but as the promotion of same-sex marriage poses a threat to our own prescribed life style, we anticipate the loss of our rights coming. Our children's exposure to this is becoming more and more unavoidable, and will definitely be affected once it becomes the 'law' through legal channels.

Just think of TV programs today, can a family who has beliefs against homosexuality watch an evening program and do it comfortably? Do you see that things are being taken away from us?

Again, I can only speak for myself, but this is the way that I can act on my beliefs. Must you demonize and ridicule me for standing up for (and protecting) what I believe in?

I realize that many of you see this as a 'freedom' thing, but we also seek tolerance for religious beliefs and rights to live out our religious principles.

Anyway, just to put a Mormon voice out there. Hope you understand.

Posted by: Chet P | Nov 12, 2008 3:05:12 PM

6. Here is a link to some images that I captured at the Prop 8 demonstration in NYC on Wednesday evening:

Bob

Posted by: Bob Johnson | Nov 13, 2008 1:17:21 AM

7. @CHET P: Folks, the first thing to understand when a Mormon speaks, it is with forked-tongue. Chet doesn't hate gays; he just wants to deny you the basic civil right of marriage. And can't you all just stay in the closet, because it's so hard to explain homosexuality to a child! Right.

From a group that had its own problems with marriage... oh, you get the drift.

Chet, religion isn't the answer, it's the problem.

Posted by: J² | Nov 13, 2008 1:40:23 AM

8. No religion in this wolrd allows same sex marriage. It is evil.

Posted by: Fenty T.A. | Dec 3, 2008 11:31:55 PM