Barack Obama | Detroit | Election 2008 | Halloween | John McCain | Michigan

Real-Life Witch Denies Halloween Candy to Kids of Obama Supporters

Nagel

Meet Shirley Nagel, a real-life witch and McCain supporter from suburban Detroit.

Nagel refused to give out candy to trick-or-treaters who were children of Obama supporters.

As one YouTube commenter so aptly puts it, "Thank you SHIRLEY NAGEL for sharing your bitter ignorance with the world. You are the PERFECT reminder of the change we are voting for."

UPDATE: As one of our astute commenters points out, Nagel, who was a delegate from Michigan at the Republican National Convention this year, was interviewed by Triumph the Comic Insult Dog after a few glasses of Cabernet.

Shirleynagel

Watch both clips, AFTER THE JUMP...

And here's Triumph the Insult Comic Dog at the Republican National Convention. Interview with Shirley the drunk comes at 4:16.

Comments

1. Andy, that's not the half of it. Someone posted her address and phone number on Youtube. Another commenter said he tried to call her and her voicemail was full. She's about to learn the power of the internet.

Posted by: David T | Nov 2, 2008 11:36:38 AM

2. Wow.... just... wow... So now kids are becoming a pawn in the Republican's fear mongering campaign. This is sad.

Posted by: CJ | Nov 2, 2008 11:42:33 AM

3. In Detroit? Are you kidding me? This is the city that wrote the book on post-Halloween mayhem....I'm surprised her house is still standing.

Posted by: Beef and Fur | Nov 2, 2008 11:58:06 AM

4. I find this all sad. This woman's attitude is the exact same as most people who comment on this blog. If someone doesn't agree with you the answer is to punish them, shun them, or some other completely idiotic move (like posting her address).

Posted by: yoshi | Nov 2, 2008 12:15:35 PM

5. I was shocked to see this... and then saw that I share the same last name. Spooky! Nagels for Obama!!

Posted by: Matt Nagel | Nov 2, 2008 12:27:57 PM

6. It's okay. The candy probably had razor blades in it. Kind of like McCain's economic rescue package - the rich ones will be given the good candy and the rest of us get cut.

Posted by: NoCaDrummer | Nov 2, 2008 12:31:28 PM

7. They are freaking children, they can't vote or form rational political decisions. I think she is absolutely in the right to not give candy to anyone that she doesn't want to on her personal property, If an adult prop 8 supporter came to me and asked me for anything I'd tell them to f**k off but why would anyone care what a child thinks of a political election.

There are a few defining moments of me reaching adulthood, one of them was recognizing that my parents opinions should not effect my own and that I'm allowed to disagree with them, children don't know that. If you disagree with the children's parents political decisions, fine, don't give anything to the parents but children are innocent, don't punish them, teach them.

Posted by: John M | Nov 2, 2008 12:33:44 PM

8. In other years she hands out poisoned apples.

Posted by: Wheezy | Nov 2, 2008 12:37:16 PM

9. We know who we are and we know where you live, Yoshi.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Nov 2, 2008 12:41:30 PM

10. YOSHI

What I tire of and find sad are the illogical ramblings of those who make falsely equivalent arguments. This reminds me of the manhunt proprietor who was contributing to the McCain campaign and the endless whining that somehow it was unfair for us not to financially take our money out of supporting manhunt because that wasn't open minded. It's retarded. Then as now, people don't have to lack judgment, draw conclusions or accept the intollerant to prove they are open minded. As Dan Savage once said your definition is perverse.

Posted by: akaison | Nov 2, 2008 12:41:45 PM

11. By the way, I do agree calling the lady is harrasment and its against the law, but the general premise of denouncing her is not.

Posted by: akaison | Nov 2, 2008 12:44:05 PM

12. Where are her flying monkeys? And she calls herself a witch.

Posted by: Matty | Nov 2, 2008 12:58:28 PM

13. MATTY, They're up her ass! Where else?

Posted by: Wheezy | Nov 2, 2008 1:42:39 PM

14. Is this the drunk lady that Triumph the Insult Comic Dog interviewed at the RNC?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq-vRQwmRtw at 4:15...

Posted by: Tim | Nov 2, 2008 3:04:41 PM

15. Not that I condone this kind of thing but, why has this woman's house not been egged and tp'ed?

Posted by: Rainbow Phoenix | Nov 2, 2008 3:10:36 PM

16. I know plenty of people whose political views disgust me, but I would never EVER take it out on their little kids who were just out trick-or-treating. No sane or reasonable person would. Maybe this kind of behavior is the reason she was fired as a 9th grade english teacher.

This is the kind of asshattery that the vast majority of Americans have grown very tired of, and is the reason why the Republican party has got to find another group of people to make up its base in order for it to survive.

Vote on Tuesday. Go, Slim Jim! (Props to Derrick for coining that perfect pet name.)

Posted by: The Milkman | Nov 2, 2008 4:28:40 PM

17. Another example of Republicans using children for their own political gain.

Posted by: Eric | Nov 2, 2008 4:44:37 PM

18. "This woman's attitude is the exact same as most people who comment on this blog."

No candy for you, Yoshi, even tho that troll costume is very convincing.

Posted by: Ernie | Nov 2, 2008 5:15:32 PM

19. Typical Republican - denying our children happiness since they don't deserve treats, just tricks - like a HUGE deficit.

Posted by: Scott | Nov 2, 2008 5:42:02 PM

20. I might need to put something in the mail to this witch:

Shirley Nagel
    465 Belanger
    Grosse Pointe Farms, MI 48236
    (313) 884-2598

Posted by: Steve H | Nov 2, 2008 6:06:23 PM

21. @Tim, I believe you are absolutely right. So not only is she , she's also willing to go drink herself drunk while a hurricane is ravaging a nearby state, possibly killing people.

Posted by: Philip Wester | Nov 2, 2008 6:16:59 PM

22. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. And so damned typical. It's diseased.

Posted by: Kyle Michel Sullivan | Nov 2, 2008 6:22:31 PM

23. whadda cunt

Posted by: Seymour Dix | Nov 2, 2008 6:23:54 PM

24. She is a real sad excuse for a human being, but no where in that news report did it claim she was a witch. Your title is misleading and paints true witches in a bad light.

Posted by: kujhawker | Nov 2, 2008 9:16:18 PM

25. Sadly, this woman is a teacher! On YouTube, one of her students reminisces about various embarrassing incidents she caused, including showing up to school drunk and feigning a major injury after a cafeteria food fight:

Posted by: Matthew Rettenmund | Nov 2, 2008 9:58:15 PM