Beyoncé | Dance | News | Shane Mercado | YouTube

BigGayDeal.com

Single Ladies

Mercado Cubby

Shane Mercado, whose spot-on rendition of Beyonce's "Single Ladies" has earned him over a million views on YouTube, was asked to do the routine for The Bonnie Hunt Show in front of the video backdrop and his story was the subject of a recent CW11 news segment.

Suddenly everyone wants to be a "Single Lady", even Cubby from 96.1 The Beat in Charlotte (above, right). Even the big girls are doing it.

Watch all the clips, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I saw the Bonnie Hunt episode with that You Tube guy on it. Are Bonnie Hunt and all the straight men on her crew enjoying this guy because he's a safe, comfortable stereotype of a feminine, swishy queen dancing to a FEMALE singer's song and doing a FEMALE dancer's dance? Do they like this guy because he is so easy to summarize as another silly, girly gay who doesn't threaten straight men at all?

Would they have had the same admiration for a masculine, macho gay guy who breaks all stereotypes? Doubt it.

Posted by: Just be yourself | Nov 20, 2008 6:04:39 PM

2. God bless the internet.

Posted by: crispy | Nov 20, 2008 6:06:53 PM

3. I got the impression he was on the show because he was just being himself (feminine, swishy gay guys actually exist, sorry if that upsets you) and he can dance remarkably well. They weren't laughing at him at all.

Posted by: Charles | Nov 20, 2008 6:16:57 PM

4. Just Be Yourself: I think they are enjoying it because it's entertaining. Where in that video did you extrapolate all of your conclusions from? Should he be any less entertaining because he is effeminate? Let's not make a stink where there isn't one.

Posted by: Bastian | Nov 20, 2008 6:21:18 PM

5. Shane is a cutie with some nice moves! Love his upbeat attitude. Nothing wrong at all with how he acts.

I do find it ironic that someone with a posting ID of "JUST BE YOURSELF" is so critical of someone who's just being himself.

Posted by: sparks | Nov 20, 2008 6:34:43 PM

6. @JUST BE YOURSELF: You're trying really hard to be a victim, but pervasive straight oppression can no longer explain away all of your inadequacies. Get a new job.

Posted by: CHARLESBROWN | Nov 20, 2008 6:35:26 PM

7. American are shallow vapid drama queens, and only about 10% are Gay. Go figure.

Posted by: Sargon Bighorn | Nov 20, 2008 6:44:53 PM

8. Wasn't Shane in the video for Elton John's "I'm Still Standing"?

God save the queens!

Posted by: Peter | Nov 20, 2008 6:54:01 PM

9. Feminine queen? Not my scene.Im more of the masculine Car/Truck lovin',dress up in guys clothes,button down shirt wearin',dance to house music,computer tech,deep voiced with New Yawk accent,dont draw attention to myself,defy the "gay acting" stereotypes designed by str8 people,kind of a gay guy.I never found the feminine,whining drama queen,girly make-up and lingerie wearin' "Miss Thang" fem lisping stereotypical attitude attractive.Hense why my lover is a "Masculine" guy,not some random fem bitch I came across in the village.To each his own,or "her" own if you are one of the gays who likes to go "GRRRRL".Being urself is all good and all but I find many of the fems in New Yawk like to draw attention to themselves and they live for gossip and drama.As you can see I have no fem friends.Well,I have one but I more here today gone tomorrow with him/her

Posted by: Vincent | Nov 20, 2008 7:04:28 PM

10. and YES I am out and proud,I just dont feel it necessary to come off as some dramatic flaming blow-torch of a queen to be proud of being gay.

Posted by: Vincent | Nov 20, 2008 7:12:34 PM

11. And some people thought SNL was offensive!

Posted by: MCnNYC | Nov 20, 2008 7:15:41 PM

12. Wow, there sure are a bunch of cats out tonight! I think this kid did an amazing job dancing the way he did: gay, flamboyant, whatever! As someone who took dance lessons for fifteen years, his ability to mimic the video perfectly should be something to celebrate and not get so bitchy about!! Great job Shane, shake what you want and dance your ass off, it looks like you already have :o)

Posted by: James N Philly | Nov 20, 2008 7:24:02 PM

13. He reminded me of the guy in Silence of the Lambs actually.

Posted by: Paul C | Nov 20, 2008 7:30:59 PM

14. Per my comment above, I was actually wrong and way too childish/nasty. Maybe I'm the one with the inadequacies. After all, look at how defensive I got.

Posted by: charlesbrown | Nov 20, 2008 7:33:04 PM

15. ^^^ Get your own nick, imposter. You're not even comfortable enough with yourself to be you?

Posted by: CHARLESBROWN | Nov 20, 2008 7:48:28 PM

16. Damn, what is with the hate for someone because he's effeminate? Get over it. Your just gay bashing.

Newsflash: A LOT of gay men are effeminate! Right?

Imagine if some gay kid who is being bullied at school for being effeminate read your words. Nice way of making him feel accepted.

Up until the 1960s there were some organizations within the African-American community that only allowed those who were the color of or lighter than a brown paper bag acceptance. A little internal institutionalized racism/colorism that said some African-Americans were better than others.

And, here we have the gay version.

Well, Shane not only gets his 15 minutes of fame but the chance to leverage it to boost his career.

Posted by: noah | Nov 20, 2008 8:07:41 PM

17. Confirmed! Homosexuals are a self-loathing, divided and cliquey lot alright! This would be one of the reasons behind our lack of political strength - the multitude of "stereotypes" and minorities within a minority that many of us have an inability to overcome and stand united. Why should our oppressors divide and conquer us, when we do that ourselves already? Our community is a unique one, not bound by something as strong as racial identity but by our sexual identity, resulting in homos gravitating to those they'd rather bone and to cut down those they don't, instead of finding common ground and supporting each other. I think you'll find it hard to win votes if you're only there to support 25-34 hot straight acting gay marriages.
    I get it - he's camp and you don't want to bone him. But don't forget that a diverse of homosexuals stood up for gay rights in the past - drag queens at Stonewall riots, as well as butch and non-butch homos and probably some fag hags as well. Especially in our community, it's important to embrace diversity, from lesbian single mother librarians from Arkansas to cheerleader twinks in monogamous relationships.

United we stand, divided we fall

Posted by: Damien | Nov 20, 2008 8:21:57 PM

18. Okay, I guess I need trot out my (I thought) tired old history lesson and explanation of fem guys, drag queens, and the "masculine continuum."

Drag queens fought back at Stonewall. Up until then, only "respectable" looking gay men were working towards any semblance of equal rights. You owe EVERY right you have as a gay man to a femmy drag queen.

And it takes more balls than I'll EVER have to be an out femmy guy. It's easy to conform to stereotypes of how "men" act -- most guys, straight AND gay, do. But to defy those stereotypes and be a "flaming queen" is a hell of a lot harder. Flaming queens get bashed. Those of us who can "pass" for straight don't (as much). Who got beaten up in high school? The queeny types. Yet they were being themselves.

Good for our queens, drag, flaming, and anything else. Good for our macho, masculine, butch fellas too. And bully for everyone in between, or who sometimes takes a stab at walking in someone else's workboots -- or pumps.

And in wake of Prop 8's passage and the spirit of outreach to other communities, I think it behooves US to reach out WITHIN our own community to those we don't know, don't understand, or don't think we like.

Have you thanked a drag queen today?

And as far as Shane goes, honey, I _wish_ I had his body and attitude, but I just gotta be me. I like guns, digging in the dirt, computers, and musical theatre. I have a moderate sense of interior design, but not a lot of fashion sense and very little hairdo sense. I'm me. And boys, I'm taken, but we can be friends and I'd love to hang out.

Especially w/ Derrick from Philly.

Posted by: tjc | Nov 20, 2008 8:38:32 PM

19. JUST BE YOURSELF is right! That youtube guy is just a modern day minstrel show (only he's gay instead of black). A minstrel show that only straight people seem to enjoy. Any gay guy who acts like this is setting the homosexual movement back YEARS AND YEARS. It makes life harder for mainstream gays who WAY outnumber the stereotypes.

Posted by: Enough with the minstrel shows | Nov 20, 2008 8:44:44 PM

20. And now that I've seen all 3 of Shane's vids, I gotta say I'm in love. He's AWESOME. Pretty AND talented. And honey, I can only imagine some of the other moves he can do.

Thanks for making the vid -- that was fun.

Shane: (call me)

Posted by: tjc | Nov 20, 2008 8:48:01 PM

21. "Enough" --
    He's probably doing more for the homosexual movement than you are. Okay, sorry, that's not fair because all I know about you I've gleaned from your posting above.

I used to HATE effeminate gay guys, dancers like Shane, Liberace, Paul Lynde, flaming queens, bitter queens, etc. Couldn't stand 'em. Thought they set the movement back to the stone age (you know, the 70's). And it made it harder for me to come out, because I didn't see the "normal" looking gay guys (BTW, I don't use the word "normal" anymore).

I couldn't see those other gay guys because they're not as visible to a young guy who doesn't know any better.

It took me a lot longer than I wish it had (my issues, not theirs), but now I love me my queens. No, I'm not a flamer, hell I'm practically wearing a flannel shirt right now, but I'm proud of them.

And I think they pave the way for the rest of us every day. You should be grateful.

Posted by: tjc | Nov 20, 2008 8:57:11 PM

22. Our community is diverse and, of all people, we should know better than to sneer at those don't hold themselves the way we choose to hold ourselves. The boy looks like he's having fun and enjoying himself. Why would you want to take that away from him or cut him down? Furthermore, how dare you accuse him of setting back the "gay movement" by being himself? Should he apologize to gays for acting out of turn? That attitude is much more likely to hold back any movement of acceptance.

And to Vincent... don't kid yourself, you sound bitchier than any effeminate queen I've ever met. Read back your post and realize that you just labeled yourself into a very tiny box; one you probably don't even fit into. I really hope your post was a joke.

Posted by: Bastian | Nov 20, 2008 10:54:25 PM

23. I think I won't read any comments on Towleroad any more. When and why did everybody get so mean and judgmental? Sheesh.Lighten up, please. It's just some pop culture. And when it's about public policy, try to take a longer view than the end of the week. Just suggesting that life should be sweeter if we can possibly make it so. Please.

Posted by: Kevin | Nov 20, 2008 11:05:36 PM

24. Don't forget us!

Posted by: Jesse | Nov 20, 2008 11:17:00 PM

25. Well, I agree that one must be himself or herself, but what the sociology and psychology studies reveal, is that overly effeminate gay men tend to drop the "gay act" once they truly love themselves and no longer feel threatened or act on their oppression (usually after their 20's). Most men whom were interviewed afterward cited that they felt they had to really show the world that they were indeed free and no one was going to stop them...so they learned to throw their femininity at everyone as a protest of "I'm here so get used to it!" Once these men realized that true acceptance first comes from oneself, most of them stopped the overt femininity (including swishing their hips, crossing personal boundaries of strangers, dressing feminine, and binge drinking). I'm simply citing some studies which are pretty interesting...I could care less if someone decides to be feminine or butch...as long as they really love themselves, and they aren't doing it to prove a point.

Posted by: I'm just saying... | Nov 20, 2008 11:47:25 PM