Beyoncé | Dance | News | Shane Mercado | YouTube

BigGayDeal.com

Single Ladies

Mercado Cubby

Shane Mercado, whose spot-on rendition of Beyonce's "Single Ladies" has earned him over a million views on YouTube, was asked to do the routine for The Bonnie Hunt Show in front of the video backdrop and his story was the subject of a recent CW11 news segment.

Suddenly everyone wants to be a "Single Lady", even Cubby from 96.1 The Beat in Charlotte (above, right). Even the big girls are doing it.

Watch all the clips, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Wow, some people in here really need to talk through their issues with a counselor. I can't tell if "Just Be Yourself" was trying to be ironic or if he was serious. I'm quite saddened by my fellow gay folk in their comments tonight.

How dare so many of you try to put guilt on Shane for being a flaming gay dancing queen. Don't you think he's probably been through plenty of shit in his life - he obviously doesn't blend in like some other homos. I think he's great - funny, outgoing, caring - and he's an amazing dancer. And just because I might not want to "bone" him I certainly would love to be his going out buddy.

As a soccer jock fag he makes me proud.

@ DAMIEN & TJC: I totally agree with everything you both said. (Call Me)

Posted by: Kurt from Milwaukee | Nov 20, 2008 11:47:58 PM

2. Well, I agree that one must be himself or herself, but what the sociology and psychology studies reveal, is that overly effeminate gay men tend to drop the "gay act" once they truly love themselves and no longer feel threatened or act on their oppression (usually after their 20's). Most men whom were interviewed afterward cited that they felt they had to really show the world that they were indeed free and no one was going to stop them...so they learned to throw their femininity at everyone as a protest of "I'm here so get used to it!" Once these men realized that true acceptance first comes from oneself, most of them stopped the overt femininity (including swishing their hips, crossing personal boundaries of strangers, dressing feminine, and binge drinking). I'm simply citing some studies which are pretty interesting...I could care less if someone decides to be feminine or butch...as long as they really love themselves, and they aren't doing it to prove a point.

Posted by: I'm just saying... | Nov 20, 2008 11:48:59 PM

3. Thanks Kurt. :-)

Posted by: tjc | Nov 21, 2008 12:33:51 AM

4. Good lord the self hate on here tonight is amazing. I thought Vincent was being snarky and funny until he felt the need to second post to confirm that he "is" out and proud (of what exactly?). Just doesn't like the "queens." Nice. I am not sure I ever got the memo when "queen"-ness was a requirement for gay pride, but it sure as hell isn't a disqualification. Grow up. All of you.

Posted by: So Left I'm Right | Nov 21, 2008 12:42:41 AM

5. Come on flamers are funny. It is not that big of deal. He is a great dancer.

Posted by: brad | Nov 21, 2008 1:02:47 AM

6. ANDY~~ Congrats on the TOWLEROAD shout-out on AC360 last night on your coverage of the 'Single Ladies'.

I'd pay to hear AC "Say My Name"....lol

Posted by: Albert | Nov 21, 2008 2:02:43 AM

7. Ok, yeah, the guy's really effeminate. And what of it? For whatever reason, be it inborn or contrived, the guy is flaming, and has probably already caught a lot of flak for it, with more flak on the way. This world's tough for the flamers. Now, having read all these comments, I get both sides. After just seeing the show, I was with the "haters", and here's why: we see this as a minstrel show and wince, because it presents a false stereotype, and we're afraid that we'll be associated with flaming queens, even if we're naturally just kinda straight-acting, or even play it up by peppering our speech with "dude" and "bro", believing that this somehow makes us appear less gay, and even more amusingly, more secure with our identities. In short: we're embarrassed to even be associated with this little fairy. We ARE the 'paler than a paper bag' group. And it's not a good place to be.

Will this kid's prancing probably influence the opinions of a lot of retarded rednecks? Honestly, it just might. But if we show our support, the straight majority will see that there is considerable behavioral variance in the (now perceived as unified) gay community, and that will be a positive. This dancing queen will no longer be seen as a minstrel show, because our support and inclusiveness will grant him legitimacy; this is what the alleged 'haters' among us fail to see. By supporting the guy, we are sending a message that says we as a group are strong, we are unified, and we don't take shit. Remember, most straight people see sexuality as a dichotomy. If we shun this guy, we'll effectively be saying that we're fragmented, and trust me, the conservative spin dogs will LOVE IT. Open season will be declared on flamers if we do nothing. Notice that Hannity & Co. have yet to start with the shit-talking; they're WAITING to see how much shit they'll get into if they make fun of the flaming queer. Sending a message of unity will make them too scared to send their hate into every TV in America. We are literally either with the flamers, or we're against them. Sniffing dismissively falls under the latter, fyi.

So ok, all you tough macho guys who drink beer, wear your chest hair with pride, consider yourselves 'just one of the boys', compare the number of times you slept with women with you 'bros' and associate it with greater masculinity, are current on sports scores and player switches and all that jazz, you guys need to realize that you look just as silly to the gay community as the flamers do. Both (may or may not) have contrived their personalities and mannerisms to suit the persona that they wish to project, and both often look foolish and insecure. But the "straight-acting" guys still have it easier: they enjoy broader acceptance both inside and outside of the queerosphere. But just as some of you guys actually did grow up as queer jocks who GENUINELY liked sports, some other guys were *really* into the glitter at an even younger age. I still remember, when I was 12, the only thing in the whole world that mattered to me was my Nintendo. Everything else was irrelevant. A former lover had a different experience: he experimented with makeup, effeminate clothing, and cholita eyebrows, and was also in heat and busy chasing the 18 year-olds! Gays are very much a heterogeneous people, funny as it sounds. Sean Cody's boys DO NOT constitute a valid sample. The reason that we're not making as much political headway is that we're still very fragmented, and unwilling to act as a whole. By essentially being homophobic and disparaging this kid, we're giving the fucking conservatives ammunition. And really guys, is that what you want?

Preemptively, I will tell you this: I am not a flamer. I am out to everyone, and most were quite surprised. I'm also not a jock; I've done some competitive swimming, but the only balls that I've held in the last 10 years were, well, balls. In short, I can 'pass', and sit in the middle: a self-righteous and all-knowing academic working on the first of many redundant degrees. And I fully admit that I don't do much for the cause. Yeah, I go to pride, no, I don't march. Yeah, I'm out at school, no, I haven't joined or supported out on-campus queer-peer group. So, am I doing all I can reasonably do to support my people, and my rights? No, and I'll bet a lot of you are in the same boat. We've seen how well the right-wing Christian and Mormon groups unite, rally, and make themselves heard? We have to be at least that good. The next four months are CRITICAL in the Prop 8 case. The con's are already threatening a voter recall of the judges if they abide by state law (Prop 8 IS illegal, people!). They're getting their misguided and hateful message out, and have already branded this debate as a feud between 'all righteous people' and 'all godless assfucking heathen': polls of ignorant voters support the premise that the conservative message has enjoys wide penetration .Our ad campaign was shit, and we MUST rebrand this debate as one of civil rights versus bible-clutching theocrats. We're won't accomplish this unless we support each and every visible member, and make it disadvantageous for O'Reilly & Co. to spew their hate, because they'll know that there'll be consequences. See the conservatives are losing their shit over what we 'did' to that dumbass cardboard cross-bearing hag? Well, we have to be JUST as supportive of Shane Mercado as they are for that rabble-rousing war-mongering cunt. Or, we can be the REAL gay stereotypes, and be too self-involved to even fight for our basic human rights. Simple as that.

Posted by: Peter | Nov 21, 2008 5:26:09 AM

8. ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ Oops. Forgot that there was already a 'Peter' posting here. My bad. I'll just have to take 'Pete", then.

Posted by: Pete | Nov 21, 2008 5:36:17 AM

9. WOW! This lot is simply amazing. I think the self-haters amongst you are the one's that try to conceal who you are. Most of my friends and co-workers never got me, because I wasn't "gay enough". I've long since come to accept the fact that I am who I am and don't pretend to be anything else. On the other hand, I absolutely love this video workout. As someone else posted, this is just pop culture. Sit back, take a deep breath, relax and enjoy it for what it is...camp, fun and ballsy! LOVIN' IT!

Posted by: Keith | Nov 21, 2008 6:43:14 AM

10. Peter:

It really doesn't matter whether someone's overly masculine or feminine as long as they're genuine. Unfortunately a lot of the femmy guys get a lot of flack (and I admit when someone posted Shane's video on their Facebook I made some snarky comment about it), but there have been times I've gone to a bar like NYC's The Eagle and I've had to laugh at all the macho posturing.

At least the queens have some biting wit.

Posted by: Alex | Nov 21, 2008 7:43:52 AM

11. It's so interesting to watch how gay politics have shifted away from the right and ability to live differently and toward the necessity of being the same and fitting in. Who needs heterosexual "experts" to fix us for acting in gender "inappropriate" ways when we've got other gay folks working to ensure we act like everyone else?

Posted by: MAJeff | Nov 21, 2008 8:46:21 AM

12. Shame on some of the commenters above for their snarky condescending bitterness. Wonder why we lost on prop 8, some of us should look in the mirror!! Shane is an example of an out and proud gay man comfortable in his own skin. He's a role model not only for the young guys who will see him in the media, but frankly even for this tired 40 yr old. So Shane, ignore the idiots and thanks for showing the courage and confidence we should all be proud of, and great dancing by the way!

Posted by: Tom | Nov 21, 2008 9:23:34 AM

13. ALL YOU IDIOTS here like
    'JUST be yourself" and "charles" complaining, maybe if you CAME OUT OF THE DAMN CLOSET and add to the number, maybe we would see all different kinds of gay men. instead you sit on your closeted ass and type crap.

Posted by: johnosahon | Nov 21, 2008 9:43:12 AM

14. this is SO SAD, gay people have been matching on the streets for weeks complaining about homophobia when it is right here. i wonder if isaiah washington said any of the things written here,would you people be complaining? or are gay people allowed to be homophobic against the "flamers" who actually remind people that we exist, take the beatings for us through out high schools, while people like you hide with your friends laughing away, waiting to come out whenever. if you ever.

weren't you people complaining when that skater was abused by another gay skater for being a "flame"? HYPOCRITES.

Posted by: johnosahon | Nov 21, 2008 9:57:33 AM

15. "Any gay guy who acts like this is setting the homosexual movement back YEARS AND YEARS. It makes life harder for mainstream gays who WAY outnumber the stereotypes."

Actually, it's homophobic gay guys with masculinity issues who are setting the "homosexual movement" back. How can you stand up for gay rights in general if you can't even stand up for your effeminate brothers? Anyone who's secure in his masculinity doesn't need to proclaim how butch he is or worry about how feminine someone else is. Shane is genuinely effeminate, talented, and getting some deserved attention for doing what he likes to do--how is that a bad thing or a harmful stereotype? The harmful stereotype is the one where every gay guy must "pass" for straight or else be considered a minstrel act, less than human, or a threat to the manhood of butch guys (who usually aren't 1/2 as butch as they think they are) who lack the balls to be accepting of others.

Posted by: Ernie | Nov 21, 2008 10:08:58 AM

16. God bless you kid and all of your splendor! Shine on and never let them steal your joy/sparkle.

Posted by: Giovanni | Nov 21, 2008 10:16:45 AM

17. Shane's totally not my type, but I will defend his right to be the biggest flaming queen he wants/needs to be 'til I die. He's a talented dancer and I gladly salute him and all the other nellies out there. Where is the outrage at tough-acting hyper-masculine bull dykes?

Get with it folks, this is the 21st century. Like it or not, we come in different shapes, colors, and sizes.

Viva la difference!

Posted by: Mark in NYC | Nov 21, 2008 10:22:42 AM

18. TJC,

People like you are the BEST company anybody could have--unpretentious with a superior sense of humor. How many macho butch queens got that?

Oh, Vincent...Vincent... Vincent. Ask any straight motha' fucka' what they think about a macho man who lets other men stick their dingdongs up his macho booty. The ultimate act of feminine submission!

Sugah, to many straight homophobes "Feminine" aint just what you do with your hipsit's also what you do with your anus.

Whenever I say the above it makes "down low" guys want to kill me. I love it!

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Nov 21, 2008 10:30:16 AM

19. Awwww, shucks Derrick..... you made me all teary-eyed. Thanks for the smile and kind words.

Posted by: tjc | Nov 21, 2008 11:59:21 AM

20. VINCENT wrote:

"Feminine queen? Not my scene.Im more of the masculine Car/Truck lovin',dress up in guys clothes,button down shirt wearin',dance to house music,computer tech,deep voiced with New Yawk accent,dont draw attention to myself,defy the "gay acting" stereotypes designed by str8 people,kind of a gay guy."

So you like masculine guys who dance to house music, is that right Vincent?

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You poor, poor thing

Posted by: nuflux | Nov 21, 2008 12:40:54 PM

21. I'm amazed that some up tight a**hole actually flagged that UTube video as inappropriate.

Posted by: BCNKC | Nov 21, 2008 1:12:13 PM

22. What I find most hateful and ironic about this is that Andy originally posted this on Nov. 20, Transgender Day of Remembrance & Awareness.

I agree with everyone who said they'd fight ferociously for Shane to be whoever he wants to be. For me, that's nothing more or less than a ferociously talented dancer and performer. If nothing else, Beyonce ought to be on the phone booking Shane as a featured dancer on her next tour.

Posted by: MR ROBOTO | Nov 21, 2008 1:42:05 PM

23. That is one talented kid! and adorable.

Why do we have to see him as one dimensional? Personally, I can arrange flowers, sew, dance and decorate as well as rebuild an engine, repair plumbing, build furniture (from scratch), and do electrical work. I consider myself middle of the road as far as butch or fem, but would never want to be considered mainstream. How boring.

Posted by: SammySeattle | Nov 21, 2008 1:50:35 PM

24. I'm amazed that he did that live, single-take; unlike the girls in the video who no doubt did it over and over. Quite a talent!

Posted by: Tom N | Nov 21, 2008 2:16:59 PM

25. "....repair plumbing, build furniture (from scratch), and do electrical work."

Sounds like quite a catch to me. If those guys out in Washington state haven't caught you yet, then they aint the smart Obama supporters I thought they were.

Then again, can you do a Beyonce impersonation? No? Well, you're still a catch.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Nov 21, 2008 2:28:18 PM