Bruce Weber | Magazines | Miami | Miami beach | News

Bruce Weber's Miami Vision

Miami1

Yesterday I posted some shots of actor Javier Bardem in a pink bathrobe that were part of a huge portfolio tribute to Miami shot by Bruce Weber in the new issue of L'Uomo Vogue.

Another peek at the issue, here, and AFTER THE JUMP (some possibly NSFW)...

Miami2 Miami4

Above, the dancer Robert Bolle with Stefan Hoffman. And on the right, Garrett, Orion, and Paul in a shoot for Calvin Klein. Below, Weber's suggested posters for the Miami Tourism Board.

Miami3

Below, men at a construction site, North Miami.

Miami6 Miami7

(image source)

Comments

1. So, Miami = whites only? In 2008, there are no black, brown, or yellow people in Miami? Oh, that's right! This is Bruce Weber's vision! Now it makes total sense!

Miami = A&F

Posted by: noah | Dec 12, 2008 1:45:27 PM

2. Well, the model in the first photograph is very beautiful, and also very young....really very young. What is he? A tribute to ancient Greek sensibilities or something?

Or, maybe I'm just looking at that photo and turning a little green--pee green...'cause the boy is beautiful.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Dec 12, 2008 1:48:10 PM

3. Where are all the real men at! All we get are pictures of boys or boys that used to be girls. Not all gay men are into the adonis image or twinks. Some of us love the knuckle draggin meathead furry neanderthals ya know.

Kisses

Posted by: Bud | Dec 12, 2008 1:56:11 PM

4. Bruce Weber's photography is weak Mapplethorpe wannabe photography. Shallow. But he does know his cute guys. Why would Weber want to diverge from twinks? He knows his market.

Posted by: Weber Grill | Dec 12, 2008 3:54:15 PM

5. i am so sick of this notion among some gay men that there is a difference between "real" men and all others. usually it's an ageist (no twinks), racist (almost always white; certainly no asian men, which isn't really much of a problem on this site), body fascist (hairy, muscular), and so limiting (limited to a narrow definition of what "masculinity" is). get over it. expand your mind and your world. and quit dividing us. don't you think the mormons/christians/republicans do that enough for us?

Posted by: eric | Dec 12, 2008 4:22:23 PM

6. Eric,

I agree with your analysis. I can't think of the last time I saw any Asian models, actors, musicians, etc. presented on Towleroad. The same can be said of most other gay print or web publications. People of color are not well represented in the fashion industry.

I like Towleroad and respect Andy's work towards being inclusive; there's just room for improvement. If Barack Obama could assemble a diverse cabinet that includes two Asian-Americans, couldn't Towleroad find one Asian or South Asian guy once in a while?

The Weber irritates me. He's does the same schtick, over and over. His poster of is hackneyed and trite from both editoral and artistic perspectives. Haven't we seen those images a billion times telling the same story? Then there's the absence of people of color. Horton could hear a who before one could find any colored folks in Weber's mythical Miami, demographics be damned. http://www.rumler.com/miami/#Demographics

(P.S. Yes, Andy Garcia is Latino, and he is also coded as white. He plays Italians and generic white guys in most of his work.)

Posted by: noah | Dec 12, 2008 5:09:04 PM

7. Good god. Bitch, bitch, bitch.

Posted by: Tralfaz | Dec 12, 2008 5:29:02 PM

8. i agree with you noah, about your points on towleroad, other gay media, and bruce weber. my main complaint was with the poster, who echoes the same sentiment you see in the postings by commenters on other sites such as queerty and in personal ads. and they usually have a comical over-compensating quality too, such as "i'm looking for REAL MEN. not into fat, fems, asian. sorry, dudes, just my preference." usually it just makes me laugh; but sometimes it pisses me off. i left high school to escape the stupid jocks versus others bullying mentality. (well, actually, i left high school because i graduated, but you get my point... :)

Posted by: Eric | Dec 12, 2008 5:32:53 PM

9. Thank you Tralfaz.

Between yesterday and today the listing for these photographs has brought out a level of vitrol (go look it up) that I can't turn myself upside down far enough to even understand...

This from my peers who embrace Britney as the top of the musical food chain.

OH! Never mind.

Posted by: Br!on | Dec 12, 2008 5:51:04 PM

10. It's hard to look it up Br!ion when you can't even spell it correctly. VITRIOL.

Posted by: duh | Dec 12, 2008 6:04:06 PM

11. Tired. Beyond the absence of diversity, the B&W pics are the same crap he's done a million times before with zero personality. The "men at construction site" one is mildly interesting but otherwise the biggest offense committed here is that the photos are dull.

Posted by: NUFLUX | Dec 12, 2008 7:13:21 PM

12. Girls, Girls, Girls .... now you are both pretty!!!

Posted by: David B. | Dec 12, 2008 7:20:12 PM

13. As an Appellate court opinion might put it, I concur in part and dissent in part from the opinions expressed, supra.
    Asian models are woefully underrepresented in erotic and fashion photography and on blogs of this sort.
    That said, what is this current obsession with pillow-lipped twinks? I'm over 60 and I don't enjoy feeling as creepy as the local pedophile or to be snarky, the parish priest. I remember when male models in the fashion world looked like they were young MEN, not wayward altar boys. No, I'm not suggesting that only hairy "brute" types are real men, but sexualizing "barely legal" boys in my view gives the enemy more ammunition.

Posted by: Contrarian | Dec 12, 2008 9:15:09 PM

14. I apologize for my unintended typo, indeed. But I still see no need for the unending bitterness of the comments on this site.

Posted by: Br!on | Dec 12, 2008 10:16:19 PM

15. Hi All Fashion Lovers !!!
    A very nice stop for all those who dares Fashion.The model of this comment page is quite ok.All the comments is very interesting.For ultimate source of Fashion at ur finger tips log on to www.uploaded.tv
    Here u can listen to unlimited Music,watch Videos,play exciting thrilling Games and u can even share ur own network.There is unlimited numbers of Communitties related with ur Choices.More of all u can even EARN for your own Video and be a TV STAR
    All This and Much More Visit :- www.uploaded.tv

Posted by: zahidshams | Dec 12, 2008 11:01:33 PM

16. Yes, Weber does the same "schtick, over and over," it's what he's known for. Big f-ing duh!

It's his style and he's been doing it since we were all in diapers, so exactly what part of "BRUCE WEBER's Miami Vision" didn't you queens get?

Plain and simple, if you don't like it, don't look at it. There are plenty of other photographers out there that specialize in ethnic men, go look at their work instead and while you all are rubbing one off, pick something more relevant to whine and bitch about.

Posted by: Matty | Dec 13, 2008 12:13:31 AM

17. ^^^^^^^^

what matty said....

weber does what he does well

oppedisano does what he does well, too

no doubt both of these photogs, and many others can do other work brilliantly, if and when they choose, but face it, these get released because they pay the bills, and handsomely (pun intended), i might add.

steichen and hurrell did the same thing two generations ago.

Posted by: jack | Dec 13, 2008 3:23:18 AM

18. The models name is SIMON NESSMAN. I am his agent at MAJOR.he is 19 yrs old, but was 17 when this was taken

Posted by: Jason Kanner | Dec 13, 2008 4:37:49 PM

19. I think the pictures, the men, and Bruce Weber are beautiful. Enjoy life, enjoy beauty, and stop bitching.

Posted by: Jim | Dec 13, 2008 11:23:37 PM

20. Bruce Weber is a NAMBLA troll and a boring hack. How do you go to Miami and not come back with a single picture of a person of color?

And to those of you who stopped pud pulling long enough to bash those who point out the racism and ageism and god only knows what elseism, I can only assume that you have no idea what the rest of us are talking about.

1/ Check your art history. Weber rips off Mapplethorpe and dilutes his memory by not doing what M did best, celebrate diversity of color, sexual proclivities and stylistic beauty.

2/ Weber and his focus on A&F style boys is just icky. In addition it gives gay youth an utterly stupid paradigm to aim for. I remember being an 18 yr old colored boy who was shunned in WEHO because I didn't fit the gay stereotype of what was beauty (blech). Thank god I found Silverlake where all types were accepted and celebrated.

3/ You can not deny the racism in the Gay community in it's ads and features on Gay sites. It's always fine to write stories everyday about straight white guys we think are cute but the only time you see stories about black guys is when there's a negative connotation, rarely, if ever, because they are cute. The standard for stories on white guys seems to "they woke up this morning" see: Brody Jenner. And when have you ever seen a fluff story on any hot Asian guy? Go ahead. Think. I'm waiting. Latino? Not a white one either. Uh. Ok.

4/ People! BRUCE WEBER WENT TO MIAMI AND CAME BACK WITH VERMONT! LAME!

Posted by: Derek Washington | Dec 14, 2008 11:22:35 AM