Education | News | Ohio

Fired UT HR Administrator Crystal Dixon Files Lawsuit

Last May, I posted about University of Toledo associate vice president of human resources Crystal Dixon, who was suspended after writing an article in the Toledo Free Press slamming gays. Later that month, UT decided to fire her.

DixonSaid Dixon in the article, "As a Black woman ... I take great umbrage at the notion that those choosing the homosexual lifestyle are civil rights victims. I cannot wake up tomorrow and not be a Black woman. Daily thousands of homosexuals make a life decision to leave the gay lifestyle."

She concluded: "My final and most important point. There is a divine order. God created human kind male and female (Genesis 1:27). God created humans with an inalienable right to choose. There are consequences for each of our choices, including those who violate God's divine order."

Dixon told reporters at her church in May following the column's publication that she had a divine mandate to write it.

Dixon promised to sue the university, and now news comes that a lawsuit has been filed:

"Crystal Dixon, former associate vice president for human resources at UT, filed a complaint Monday in U.S. District Court in Toledo alleging violation of her first and fourteenth amendment rights. The lawsuit lists UT President Dr. Lloyd Jacobs and William Logie, vice president for human resources and campus safety, as the defendants. The Thomas More Law Center in Ann Arbor is representing Ms. Dixon. The complaint filed Monday states that Ms. Dixon was punished for her private political speech, violating her First Amendment right to free speech, and she was denied access to a forum for her speech based on its viewpoint, which violates the equal protection of the law guaranteed by the Fourteenth Amendment."

Said university spokesman Larry Burns in a statement: "We have asserted from the beginning that Ms. Dixon was in a position of special sensitivity as associate vice president for human resources and this issue is not about freedom of speech, but about her ability to perform that job given her statements."

CrystalnutDixon has also created a website to promote speaking engagements and talk about the lawsuit. On it, she states her "heart's desire":

1. Ensure that FREE Speech is protected for all Americans, particularly in public universities.
2. Ensure that children and impressionable youth are free from gender confusion and undue influence to question their God-given gender.
3. See that all people have the opportunity to experience the life-transforming power of Jesus Christ in their lives, regardless of their sexual orientation and that genuine transformations of former homosexuals and lesbians to a godly heterosexual lifestyle are acknowledged and allowed to be openly shared - refuting, partnered with research and science, the prevailing notion that gays are “born that way.”
4. To ensure that no other Americans will suffer what I have in their attempt to rightfully voice their personal opinion on matters of public interest, particularly the view of the God-ordained family foundation of a male husband and a female wife, which millions of Americans of diverse faiths support.

Previously
Suspended UT Administrator Crystal Dixon Fired, Will Sue [tr]
Ohio College Administrator on Paid Leave for Remarks About Gays [tr]

Comments

1. Ms DICK-SON..is a stupid,ignorant c...t....a religious zealot. A women who has NEVER truly known what it is to be discriminated againt...after-all it wasn't her that fought for Civil Rights...it was the generation before her. Her practice of religion is a CHOICE..(someone needs to ask her,where are ALL those 1000's of X-Gays she boast about?)ANOTHER LIE PERPETUATED BY RELIGION.....and being in HR- she USES her religion to discriminate. I can't stand stupid losers like her..who are such Hypocrits...she's obviosuly Inter-racial"....and again IGNORES the fact that RELIGION was USED against her family/parents to PREVENT her from even being concieved.....Im so glad Im not a violent person..cause people like her make me wanna smack the shit of of them!

Posted by: Disgusted American | Dec 3, 2008 10:11:25 AM

2. Typical ignorant black person....always trying to make money the easy way....she should be fired from planet Earth!!! Get a job and Pluto!!!

Posted by: Fab | Dec 3, 2008 10:12:17 AM

3. Fuck Crystal Dixon. May she rot in hell.

I have quit coddling lunatics like this who lie and lie and lie and lie and then axt surprised when someone calls them on their fucking nonstop lies. Show us some PROOF of ANY of the things she says in her article; an academician should be expected to provide some fucking PROOF. She is a joke.

Posted by: Hephaestion | Dec 3, 2008 10:13:28 AM

4. In all this, I'd never realized that she was the associate vice president for human resources. If the university has an aggressive and proactive policy protecting gay and lesbian students, staff and faculty, and she's in the public sphere vocally undermining that policy, her ability to do the job is certainly called into question. How can she expect any decision she makes about any gay or lesbian employee be seen to be anything other than biased and against their interests?

Posted by: Jonathan | Dec 3, 2008 10:17:33 AM

5. I hope she wakes up tomorrow realizing that oppressing others with her choice of religious beliefs is an evil sin and an overstepping abuse of her right to free speech.
    And if that's not the case, then I hope she doesn't wake up tomorrow.

Posted by: hangten | Dec 3, 2008 10:23:19 AM

6. "Typical ignorant black person...."

*headdesk*

Posted by: MAJeff | Dec 3, 2008 10:25:23 AM

7. Said Dixon in the article, "....Daily thousands of homosexuals make a life decision to leave the gay lifestyle."

Citaion needed please!

Posted by: Dubwise | Dec 3, 2008 10:32:01 AM

8. *citation

Posted by: Dubwise | Dec 3, 2008 10:33:07 AM

9. Let's understand that Ms. Dixon IS NOT an academician. She is in a classified support position, and though, yes, her status as Vice President of Human Resources would indicate that she has had some exposure and interest in ideas that challenge her own. A natural curiosity in exploring those opinions is apparently lacking in her evangelical dogmatic approach to her "understanding" of the homosexual "lifestyle."

I truly feel sorry for people who are so narrow minded as to hold such foolish opinions. But to give them voice, well, that's just demonstrable ignorance I have no tolerance for.

Yes, a true academician would have supported their position with facts and examples of studies etc. But a true academician would not be sitting behind a desk in admin all day. They'd be standing in front of a class challenging their students to think for themselves, to explore the world, to state their opinions forcefully and with documented facts.

Ms. Dixon is just an employee,who is simply repeating what she's been told over and over again. Let's not assign her more importance than she deserves. It just gives credence to her bigotry.

Posted by: Sean | Dec 3, 2008 10:35:49 AM

10. I find it VERY interesting that so many of the right-wing these days are fixated on GENDER, gender identity, and trans* issues. To me it speaks that the G&L (and to an extent, the B) of GLBT have won a battle (not the war). The right has only the T and issues about gender to hang their collective hats on these days.

Which means it is ALL THE MORE IMPORTANT that we support our trans* siblings. We cannot throw them under the bus, because if that bus runs them over, it'll back up and come right at us (the G&L/B folks).

It really boggles my mind how the Camenkers and Dixons of the world get so hung up on gender. I think if I could grasp why they're so apeshit over this topic it would go a long way to getting inside their heads.

Posted by: tjc | Dec 3, 2008 10:37:40 AM

11. And don't forget, that if your religion isn't one of the Top 10, you're on their enemies list too.

I just wish "the power of Christ" would compel them towards good, not evil.

Posted by: tjc | Dec 3, 2008 10:39:33 AM

12. Hey FAB why is it a typical ignorant "black" person? I agree she is a typical religious fundamentalist. I don't know what color has to do with it.

Anyway now that we have a way to contact her we can all tell her directly how we feel about her. Also she uses this web site to troll for speaking engagments. I'm just sayin'...

Posted by: rayrayj | Dec 3, 2008 10:39:50 AM

13. I don't know about "typical"....
    but "self-righteous" and "self-serving" do come to mind....

Posted by: doug | Dec 3, 2008 10:41:55 AM

14. It`s almost hard to believe that someone who is so unenlightenened could even pass a university course, much less be hired to a prominent position at one.
    So she can`t wake up and not be black? If she paid attention to all evidence written by anyone who knows the earth is round (literally, she does not seem to}, then she would know that truly gay people do not magtically turn into heterosexuals.
    Indeed, looking at her picture, she could easily pass as NON black with a pair of light contacts, a dye job, and, I don`t know, maybe an accent coach if she sounds too ``black.`` She could hide all signs of her family and lie to everyone. She would pass as NOT being black every bit as easily as I can fool others into mistaking me for heterosexual. But why should she have teo lie and why should ANY of us?
    And even though I did not choose my orientation, what difference would it make if I could? It`s so ironic that she chose her religion and argues that she should not be belittled for it as she belittles others.
    Her comments are a disgrace, and she has rightfully lost her HR job, just as anyone should who would belittle black employees and students by saying that their skin is inferior and they should act white.

Posted by: GregV | Dec 3, 2008 10:45:05 AM

15. Oh well, looks like she's found a way to make a living while she tries to cash-in with this lawsuit. The first paragraph of her 'website':

You can conveniently email me for speaking engagements, consulting services, Mary Kay Cosmetics or SureLaces, Inc. product orders, etc.

I wonder how these companies feel about being represented by such a bigoted hate monger.

Posted by: Gregus | Dec 3, 2008 10:51:25 AM

16. Three things I find annoying after visiting her website:

1. She mentions her "top selling" book which is yet to be released. Besides her own site there are no hits when you Google the author and title or search Amazon. How can it be top selling?

2. Contributions to her legal defense fund are tax deductable.

3. The way her hair is piled up on the side of her head.

Posted by: SteveH | Dec 3, 2008 10:52:33 AM

17. I totally agree with her point #1.
    Her point #2 totally contradicts point #1.
    End of agreeing with this moron.

Hey Ms. Dickson - anyone with a divine calling should work in a CHURCH, not civil society!

Posted by: Strepsi | Dec 3, 2008 10:52:55 AM

18. Why are people stil thinking that being gay is a choice?? If Mrs Dixon insists on bringing her personal views to the public she is not fit for the Job. There is also a bunch of stuff advocating Slavery in the Bible. Why not push for that again if the Bible is so dear to her.....

Posted by: ty | Dec 3, 2008 10:53:40 AM

19. I'll never understand why some people think it is okay to call someone derogatory names when they disagree with another's position on an issue. Sure we may all think that, but keep it to yourself. There is plenty about Ms. Dixon's writings and actions to criticize without resorting to that, which also gives the other side ammunition and makes the LGBT community in general look bad.

With all that said, aren't items #1 and #2 in her manifesto in contradiction with each other?

Posted by: Chris | Dec 3, 2008 11:02:25 AM

20. Why isn't Jasmine Cannick defending this woman? She follows all of JC's self-hating gay talking points.

Posted by: ggreen | Dec 3, 2008 11:03:29 AM

21. Apparently "turn the other cheek" is to be interpreted as "turn the other cheek unless you can get some cash money".

Or perhaps she is just looking for a settlement. I suspect that UT fired her for something else she did other than this editorial, and she is hoping that they are embarrassed enough by it to not want to take it to court.

Posted by: Ted in SF | Dec 3, 2008 11:05:53 AM

22. All I have to say, is she has no case. She may not like it, but there is a thing called the "employment at will" doctrine. She can quit when she wants, and her employer can fire her when they want (so long as it is not for her sex or age). She more than likely signed an agreement that states she will not discriminate on the basis of race, gender....and sexual orientation. She is not prevented from speaking publicly about her bigoted views, but she also should not have been so ignorant to the fact that her employer has its own right to protect its reputation, which she contractually agreed to at employment.

Posted by: ERB | Dec 3, 2008 11:06:29 AM

23. I'm surprised at some of the racist comments above. I would think that anyone reading Towleroad should know better.

Ms. Dixon does have one thing right. We do have the option of choice. The choice not to believe in utter nonsense.

And so I say, once again: Quit cherry-picking the Bible to justify your personal prejudice.

Posted by: Brian Chase | Dec 3, 2008 11:08:02 AM

24. I hope that all have you have written to Miss Dixon at her Truthfreedom7@aol.com account to voice your opinion on her lawsuit.
    The ignorance of people like this must be bought to light. The sad part of this person is she feels others should pay for her ignorance and has set up up fund to do so. I for one have written to this Miss Dixon and asking her to fund me in helping her to become a non-ignorant black woman.

Posted by: Joe | Dec 3, 2008 11:11:57 AM

25. I hope that all have you have written to Miss Dixon at her Truthfreedom7@aol.com account to voice your opinion on her lawsuit.

Posted by: Joe | Dec 3, 2008 11:13:18 AM