Activism | Greg Gutfeld | News | Television

FOX's 'Red Eye' Holds Discussion on 'Day Without a Gay'

Redeye

Not that I'm surprised, but this is how Greg Gutfeld and some of his commentators described today's "Day without a Gay" protest.

"It's kind of like Gandhi, but instead of a hunger strike, you brunch."

"OMG it's like 'Day without a Gay'! Who's gonna recommend sweaters?"

"It's the ultimate boycott because instead of going to work they're staying at home with a boy, possible laying in a cot."

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. For the "Day Without A Gay," I volunteered at my local Gay Community Center. I guess I'm lucky enough to have a job where I can be out to my coworkers and which offers community service leave. It was a good experience, and just one of many activism opportunities being suggested by JoinTheImpact.com.

Posted by: HerrDoktor | Dec 10, 2008 7:23:22 PM

2. I am disheartened by all of the criticism surrounding this particular form of activism. I’m also saddened by all of the name-calling towards the guys who organized it.

Everyone seems to be waiting for a gay MLK to unite the gay community and come up with a grand organized movement that resembles that of the African-American civil rights movement and more recently the protests by Hispanics. The problem is the gay community doesn’t benefit from race and culture (and in some cases poverty) as a unifying force. The gay community is a multi-racial-cultural-political community at every level of the economic spectrum, many out of the closet, many in, some by choice, some not. Gay activism has always been fractured and polarizing, especially in the gay community.

Back in the 80’s many in the gay community thought the group ACT-UP was doing more harm than good. And today organizations like GLAAD and HRC receive their fair share of criticism. But we have always relied on those individuals with the purest of intentions who were inspired enough to rise from apathy and come up with ideas, big and small, meant to further the cause of equal rights for gays, and there have been many. People have taken to the streets and shelled out thousands for dinner at fancy fundraisers. Many have protested with their pocket books. Yet these actions have always garnered some level of criticism and judgment, none harsher then from the gay community itself. Most progress has been made on a personal level, individual to individual, but large scale activities have woken people up. The fact is we are better off today because those before us spoke up, and the next generation will be better off because of our actions today.

The men who organized this event didn’t ask people to put themselves out of work. In fact, they included other ways for people to participate on their website. But, I must add, that the individuals who participated in the bus boycotts and civil rights movement of the 50’s and 60’s did so with great sacrifice and hardship. And yes, blood. They knew they had nothing else to lose. Nothing was gained for free.

The truth is that those least likely to participate are the most successful and blessed among us. But that’s okay. Choose your own form of activism. Just stop judging the choices of others.

Today, I delivered lunch (purchased from a gay-owned business) to all of my non-gay co-workers (all of whom brought their own lunch today in a show of solidarity), then left to be of service in my community.

Ultimately, who really cares what Fox news has to say? We are our own worst enemy.

Posted by: Jeff B | Dec 10, 2008 7:51:29 PM

3. THis is a total outrage! I don't necessarily agree with the concept but to actually use stereotypes to make fun of us? What if they said, on a DAY WITHOUT BLACKS that they're home making chicken instead? What if they said, on a DAY WITHOUT ASIANS that they were home eating rice? All would be inappropriate.
    Please contact them

Posted by: will | Dec 10, 2008 9:13:12 PM

4. Well, let's look on the bright side. They're cracking easy jokes that aren't mean spirited. People are genuinely becoming less comfortable being openly disdainful of homosexuality. Of course, they're still being indirectly bigoted by equating the core of how we love with a "lifestyle choice" like a job or a budget, but we ARE making progress. Everything we're doing to increase our visibility, state our case, and win over hearts and minds is working! "A Day Without a Gay" might seem a little silly, but they're at least talking about it! I watch 4 main tv shows in my week, and EVERY one features multiple, prominent gay characters. The question of gay marriage is in the news almost daily thanks to all the protests. I'm young and I still am amazed at how much saturation we have now! We should quit judging each other's ideas (but not condone violence or divisiveness) and focus on being open about who we are. No one should be able to say they don't know a gay person, and if we connect honestly with as many people as we can and show them that we are human and that we truly do love they same way they do, no one will be able to turn a corner without being reminded that gay people are EVERYWHERE.

Posted by: Krebin | Dec 11, 2008 3:35:49 AM

5. At least some in the media had a different view. What can be expected from certain segments of the media?

Saw some different takes here.

Posted by: Donald | Dec 11, 2008 6:29:08 PM

6. This truly is quite unfortunate and extremely offensive. I am not gay; I am straight; however, I view this video as an utter act of disrespect and bigotry. Like the woman said, "gay rights is the human rights issue of our day" and it is self-evident that acts such as this convey nothing more than narrow-mindedness. While some may perceive this to be simple entertain and "jokes" I urge you to understand that in current society there is a tremendous amount of severity, significance, sensitivity behind the issue of gay rights.

Posted by: Savage | Dec 11, 2008 11:43:25 PM