Colorado | Crime | Denver | Gay Slurs | Madonna

Gay Man Arrested After Homophobic Incident at Madonna Concert

Madonna_denver

Jerome Schroeder was arrested after police were unable to properly handle an anti-gay bias incident at a Madonna concert at Denver's Pepsi Center last month, he says. Schroeder claims he and his boyfriend and a female friend were escorted from their seats following verbal anti-gay harassment from another concert-goer. When Schroeder refused to leave the venue, he was arrested:

Schroeder"Police arrest documents say only that Schroeder, a Denver radiologist, was taken into custody after he refused to leave and told officers to 'arrest me.'...'We were clueless as to why we were being removed from our seats,' Schroeder said. He said police told him, 'the Pepsi Center wants you to leave.' Police wouldn't say why, telling him only that he could leave or be arrested. 'Since I had done nothing, I said, 'Arrest me,'' Schroeder said. He said a heterosexual couple was seated in front of him at the concert and that the man repeatedly called him and his boyfriend a derogatory name under his breath, but loud enough to hear. The woman then complained that Schroeder had shoved her. He says the allegation is 'ludicrous.' ...'We had no interaction with the female,' Schroeder said. 'I couldn't even tell you what she looked like.' When Schroeder was handcuffed, he said an officer yelled at him and repeatedly poked him in the chest after he asked for the officer's name. Schroeder was taken to the city jail and held for six hours before he posted $100 bail."

It's not the first time Denver law enforcement has been accused of ignoring anti-gay bias crime. In March 2007, it was reported that Denver police officer Richard Boehnlein was under investigation for refusing to take action against a gay basher. Nima Daivari, a law student visiting the city from New York, claimed the officer refused to do anything after Daivari was assaulted.

Denver law enforcement officials say the case is under investigation.

Comments

1. I know—you would think if you'd be safe anywhere it would be at a Madonna concert, but it's not true. She has plenty of lunkhead bigoted fans who somehow nonetheless can tolerate her (it would be like me going to and enjoying and feeling a sense of ownership toward an Anita Bryant concert). The worst homophobic comments I've ever endured were at a music concert...The Go-Gos. Another gay-friendly group, yet a guy and his girl in the crowd egged us on and fought with us verbally. When Belinda made empathetic mention of the AIDS crisis, we both turned on each other with a big "HA! See?"—I correctly thought she was on my side, they incorrectly assumed being against AIDS meant being angry with the fags who caused it...

Posted by: Matthew Rettenmund | Dec 2, 2008 3:07:06 PM

2. A str8 couple at a Madonna concert in this day and age?

He looks professional, intelligent and legit - hope he nails someone to the wall but I doubt he winds up with more than an apology, if that.

Posted by: ATLSteve | Dec 2, 2008 3:09:37 PM

3. Yeah Matt, I was thinking the same thing- anti-gay at a MADONNA concert?? I was at the Madonna concert in San Diego on election night and we had McCain/Palin supporters sitting behind us. They weren't abusive or anything like that, but it was clear they were not happy with all the jubilance around them and I just thought how awful to feel so out of place.

Music makes the people come together- even ones that don't agree with each other.

Posted by: Brent | Dec 2, 2008 3:14:40 PM

4. Isn't every Madonna concert a homophobic incident?

Posted by: JohnInManhattan | Dec 2, 2008 3:14:49 PM

5. And to top it off, Miss Madge Gay Messiah never gave a dime to fight Prop H8TE.

Raise your hand if you're tired of being taken for granted.

Posted by: Leland Frances | Dec 2, 2008 4:38:19 PM

6. Tired of being taken for granted?????????

She owes you nothing, NOTHING!

If you're not a fan, move on.

Posted by: Marc | Dec 2, 2008 9:27:04 PM

7. I can't believe anyone would see that haggard, dried up old has been. Why people even like this woman is beyond me.

Posted by: Jimmi | Dec 3, 2008 1:02:24 AM

8. I don't see the point in calling anyone a "haggard" or "dried up". Its rude. If you don't like Madonna, ignore her.

Posted by: Neal | Dec 3, 2008 11:47:11 AM

9. is Madonna still do shows???

isnt she like, 70 now??

i guess the oldsters still get excited
    about her.

Posted by: mike nyc | Dec 3, 2008 12:19:09 PM

10. All the guys sticking up for Madonna...

Does it not upset that this person has been using gays for inspiration = money (Vogue etc)for years BUT didn't come out against prop 8??

Sad.

Posted by: Rowan | Dec 3, 2008 3:35:13 PM

11. Yup. Sounds just like the Denver police to me.

Posted by: Nima Daivari | Dec 3, 2008 4:16:45 PM

12. Gosh, Madonna is such an old has-been: I guess that's why she has been attracting 50,000 people a night at her shows when the economy is in the trash. Haters keep hating and enjoy your cancelled Janet and Mariah concerts.
    .....On to the topic - at Roseland last Spring, the security was VERY homophobic, I made a report to the Better Business Bureau, contacted Liz Rosenberg, contacted the Roseland Staff, and NO response. At the Dodger's Stadium show - you know, the one she set a concert attendance record for - there were actually some people who booed her when she spoke against Prop. 8.

Posted by: westcoastreport.net | Dec 3, 2008 8:26:15 PM

13. JIMMI, you've got to be kidding. You seem dull indeed. Let me guess, you like Britney?!

Posted by: nikko | Dec 4, 2008 4:26:30 AM

14. Man, there are some really immature and stupid people on this blog. Madonna has spoken publicly against Prop 8 and how do you know she hasn't given money to the cause? Do you write her fucking checks? Such a stupid comment. As for her being dried up and a has been, this is obviously the comment of an immature wet behind the ears little asshole with no experience in life beyond knowing what beyonce likes for breakfast. You should be so lucky to have HALF of Madonna's health and vitality at your sorry assed age, right NOW. Let alone when you're 50. You little turd.

Posted by: Jhon | Feb 1, 2009 5:43:15 PM