Gay Marriage | Jon Stewart | Mike Huckabee | News

Jon Stewart to Huckabee: Religion is a Choice, Not Homosexuality

Huckabee_stewart

Jon Stewart had Mike Huckabee on The Daily Show last night and the second half of the appearance focused on marriage equality. Stewart really is one of the best civil rights advocates out there.

Argued Stewart: "Religion is far more of a choice than homosexuality. We protection religion - and talk about a lifestyle choice - that is absolutely a choice. Gay people don't choose to be gay. At what point did you choose not to be gay? ... I think it's a travesty that people have forced someone who is gay to have to make their case."

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Very clever and winning argument from JS, but politics is about winning, period. It was the only bright spot for conservatives this year: Republicans and Gays lose 2008 election...

Posted by: anon | Dec 10, 2008 12:05:07 PM

2. Jon Stewart, will you marry me?

Mike Huckabee scares the bejeesus out of me. HIs beliefs are evil. But he *is* charming. And there are a lot of people who won't be able to see past that. I hope we never see him on the national stage ever again. And I also hope he gets fat again. I know that is mean, but it's true. I hope he gets fat, fat, fat, fat, FAT!

Posted by: peterparker | Dec 10, 2008 12:06:37 PM

3. When most Definition of Marriage Amendments in this country went beyond saying No Same-Sex Marriage to also decree that Our State Recognizes No Same-Sex Legal Arrangement Resembling Marriage Either, that IS attacking LGBT families. When citizens of Huckabee's home state voted to prohibit same-sex couples from adopting, that IS attacking LGBT families.

I believe in the rule of democracy as much as the next guy, but Huckabee should be aware that if Arkansans were asked to vote on defining Freedom of Religion to exclude Mormons, it would pass. Overwhelmingly. And be completely unjust and unconstitutional.

Posted by: RhymesWithClergy | Dec 10, 2008 12:45:32 PM

4. well i, for one, do not heart huckabee!

he seems to have been putting on some of that weight he so famously lost, doesn't ne?

Posted by: alguien | Dec 10, 2008 12:56:16 PM

5. I heard Schmuckabee on an NPR call-in show last week. Someone called to say his pastor has to leave the US because her wife is from another country and she was not able to sponsor her the way she could if one of them were a man. Huckabee actually said at one point that he didn't understand why that would affect someone's ability to sponsor a partner. The man has no clue what we are facing, and frankly he doesn't care. His cheerful mug fills me with rage.

Posted by: Mike | Dec 10, 2008 2:26:29 PM

6. Correction MIKE, Huckabee knows EXACTLY what we are facing, and frankly he doesn't care.

Posted by: LAURA LEIGH STANLAKE | Dec 10, 2008 2:57:38 PM

7. hanks Jon so much for all of uswho can't be heard you are our Hero

Happy Holidays and remeber......KHARMA

Posted by: Franck Verhaeghe | Dec 10, 2008 2:58:53 PM

8. Ichabod, why yank the Mormon ads from this site? I'd rather click it and let Andy get a nickel from them. Better still if someobody e-mails them and calls them on their bullshit.

Posted by: GregV | Dec 10, 2008 3:09:45 PM

9. It's not that Huckabee doesn't care about the hardships...HE APPROVES.

Huckabee is part of a socio-political movement whose goal is the destruction of gay life. It isn't just about marriage for these folks, but about opposition to non-discrimination and hate crimes policies, to support groups for LGBT youth, to adoption rights, to cultural representations that don't show us miserable or sick, to sexuality and health education that includes us. They are working to remove and/or rescind any institutional supports for the living of gay lives. They are attempting to bring back the repressive conditions that led to the institutional closet.

Huckabee seeks the obliteration of homosexuality. He seeks our destruction.

Posted by: MAJeff | Dec 10, 2008 3:21:31 PM

10. I watched the clip of the Huckabee interview and as I heard the people cheer Jon's comments and grumble disapproval of Huckabee's I thought Jon had the home field advantage.Nothing said is going to change my opinion and probably not yours but let's be fair to Huckabee for coming on the show and standing up for what 2/3 of America feels is the right position.

Posted by: steve | Dec 10, 2008 3:24:01 PM

11. Huckabee is a hateful beast.

JON STEWART is the greatest television host of this era. Great interview! I like that Jon got the Huckabeast to squirm.

Posted by: Bill | Dec 10, 2008 3:25:08 PM

12. So, Steve, we are to give Fuckabee credit for his bigotry?

Posted by: MAJeff | Dec 10, 2008 3:32:21 PM

13. Ok Majeff....I tryed to take the high road but again I'm the visitor and your at home.I find there must be a coralation in being gay and needing to swear or belittle people's weight,religion,or belief.Bigotry comes in all colors and sexual persuations and your proof of that fact.

Posted by: steve | Dec 10, 2008 3:48:29 PM

14. I just love Jon Stewart.

Randy, I feel sorry for you. I just hope you don't ruin some woman's life by hiding behind her.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Dec 10, 2008 3:52:03 PM

15. Well, Steve, Huckabee is a bigot. His goal is the destruction of gay life.

Now, you may think homosexuality is wrong. That makes you anti-gay. Period.

Posted by: MAJeff | Dec 10, 2008 3:58:28 PM

16. I haven't applauded my TV set in a long while, but I did after watching Jon say this. He was wonderful, and made the most sensible comments in a very accessible way. Finally reality is arriving - and Huck just had no response...

Posted by: Patrick M | Dec 10, 2008 4:30:02 PM

17. Randy Thomas!

From Exodus!

You gotta be kidding me - how dumb is he that he posts on this site? He couldn't have gone to comedycentral.com for the video. Wow, I have uber-gay friends who don't read Towle, and a so-called "ex-gay" is here. Does he comment on the underwear pics also?

If there ever was proof of the failure of the "ex-gay" movement, here it is above me on this site.

Posted by: Patrick M | Dec 10, 2008 4:36:31 PM

18. "I thought Jon had the home field advantage."

Actually, the "field" is irrelevant. Jon has the advantage of being right and on the right side of history. 2/3 of America once supported a lot of things that turned out to be wrong, things that are now viewed, correctly, as blatant, obvious discrimination. The majority, unfortunately, is hardly immune from ignorance, as Huckabee demonstrates. In states like mine, where CUs have been the norm for several years, the majority--in a few short years--now supports full marriage equality. As will the rest of the country, eventually. In the meantime, Huckabee only demonstrates that minority rights should not lie in the hands of the majority. Jon Stewart's view represents the future.

Posted by: Ernie | Dec 10, 2008 4:36:34 PM

19. I'm so tired of the term "anti-gay bigot", it's pathetically weak and unclear. It could mean someone who is against bigots who are gay.

Can't we go back to "breeder" or "homophobe" or come up with something nasty and direct? Until there's a word for them that offends them for being who they are, they will never truly understand what they put us through.

How about "straggot".

Posted by: Jexer | Dec 10, 2008 4:45:14 PM

20. OK Now I get it

He is the gayest "ex-gay" ever

Posted by: Patrick M | Dec 10, 2008 4:47:34 PM

21. Huckabee is a monster, he is a Mullah of the Radical Religious Extremist elements in America. Make no mistake Gay America, people like Huckabee will not be happy until Gay Americans are totally invisible.

If there is ONE THING you CAN DO to defeat the Radical Religious Extremists it would be to learn their arguments and find the holes in them. Knowledge is Power. Fight to keep their Religion out of America Law.

Posted by: Sargon Bighorn | Dec 10, 2008 4:54:33 PM

22. Also, being fat (again) is a lifestyle choice. I think all fat Arkansas preachers should be prohibited from marrying.

If only because he might crush the wife using the missionary position, which is the only acceptable way to have sex for them, isn't it?

Posted by: Joe B. | Dec 10, 2008 5:05:52 PM

23. OK this may only amuse a party of one but I cross-posted my previous comment on Randy's blog which allows open comments. Except - he just DELETED it. Guess I got under his skin - Truth will out?

So I reposted on his blog - let's see how long it lasts:

> Wow how insecure are you that you couldn't tolerate this comment or respond to it, in either a joking or serious manner - no, you had to delete it. Talk about a representation of what you do with your inner life and some inconvenient truths...

> Cross-posted from Towleroad.com
    Randy Thomas!

From Exodus!

You gotta be kidding me - how dumb is he that he posts on this site? He couldn't have gone to comedycentral.com for the video? Wow, I have uber-gay friends who don't read Towle, and a so-called "ex-gay" is here. Does he comment on the underwear pics also?

Posted by: Patrick M | Dec 10, 2008 5:43:09 PM

24. Guess Huck doesn't support for old people that cannot have children anymore or woman and men that are infertile. Geez--just amazing how those that defend this definition of marriage always go back to religion or words. Hmmm--ironic isn't it!

Posted by: David | Dec 10, 2008 7:24:35 PM

25. How cool would it be for Jon Stewart to be White House Press Secretary for the next term! If we really can't have CJ Cregg, he's my next choice.

Posted by: Greg | Dec 10, 2008 7:48:57 PM