Gay Marriage | Jon Stewart | Mike Huckabee | News

Jon Stewart to Huckabee: Religion is a Choice, Not Homosexuality

Huckabee_stewart

Jon Stewart had Mike Huckabee on The Daily Show last night and the second half of the appearance focused on marriage equality. Stewart really is one of the best civil rights advocates out there.

Argued Stewart: "Religion is far more of a choice than homosexuality. We protection religion - and talk about a lifestyle choice - that is absolutely a choice. Gay people don't choose to be gay. At what point did you choose not to be gay? ... I think it's a travesty that people have forced someone who is gay to have to make their case."

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Jon Stewart gets hotter as he gets older. Smart interview, good analogies, sharp questions.

Posted by: sparks | Dec 10, 2008 8:35:29 PM

2. I think the most important aspect to watch is that Huckabee and Romney are both continuing on the circuit espousing their religious rhetoric. Yes The Repubs are planning a comeback and they will do it through religion as it has worked in the past.

The repubs will present the case that they are working to save the church and marriage and families and children. It will be a religious movement. They WILL rally their sunday worshippers. Count on it.

Posted by: Mark | Dec 10, 2008 8:49:37 PM

3. Arrgh! Why is is that no one ever counters the ridiculous argument of procreation? Yeah, humans are having a real difficult time reproducing. Otherwise, a great interview and it's so nice to see someone actually not back down without shouting and stomping their feet.

Posted by: Kelly | Dec 10, 2008 9:52:50 PM

4. This was the FINEST argument that I have ever seen in defense of Gay Equlaity! Jon Stewart WIPED THE FLOOR with "Suck-a-bee" and did it with grace and class. Jon Stewart YOU ROCK MY WORLD!!!

Posted by: Jim | Dec 10, 2008 9:57:38 PM

5. This was the FINEST argument that I have ever seen in defense of Gay Equlaity! Jon Stewart WIPED THE FLOOR with "Suck-a-bee" and did it with grace and class. Jon Stewart YOU ROCK MY WORLD!!!

Posted by: Jim | Dec 10, 2008 9:59:33 PM

6. ^ I agree with Jim!

I'm being the devil's advocate, but i thought that Huckabee was also very respectful of Jon and wasn't shouting, interrupting, wasn't shoving his opinion with the usual right-wing fire, mind you still shoving none-the-less. Maybe he knows that he is on a liberal show with a sharp host who will caricature Huckabee and right-wingers on the spot to an audience that the Republicans at this political juncture need to win over before 2010.

Posted by: Steven | Dec 10, 2008 11:41:38 PM

7. I wonder, though, if religion really is a choice for everyone--what if you're born into a family with overpowering convictions, in a small homogeneous town, and you're not struggling with homosexuality or anything that would force you to constantly and seriously question the beliefs you're being handed? It'd be pretty tough to appreciate something like gay marriage, wouldn't it? It's at least a little like that for some people I know, so I don't mind withholding my rage at their bigotry in favor of trying to build a connection with them.

It doesn't matter though, because most people aren't in that situation. Don't let social conservatives pretend that their argument is anything but bigotry. They might try to use sociological arguments, (all debunked) or the "hate the sin, not the sinner" line saying that they are not against gay people, but at the end of the day they think that we make a daily decision to be gay or lesbian. Everyone here knows homosexuality is not something we chose (Even Randy knows it) and is therefore not something we should have to apologize for practicing.

So build a connection with them, don't call them bigots right out--but calmly explain to them why they're bigots: because they're denying you rights based on something you can't help.

Posted by: Krebin | Dec 11, 2008 2:57:16 AM

8. If the bigots were part of my life, they will no longer be part of my life. I will explain why they are being purged--be it support for something like Prop 8 or a belief that "homosexuality is wrong"--but they don't get to do harm to me and then have the benefit of my friendship (or even be in my family). I'm not their pet fag, and they get kicked to the curb. My life is too valuable to be wasted on bigots. Good riddance to them all.

Posted by: MAJeff | Dec 11, 2008 7:45:33 AM