News | Pat Boone | Proposition 8 | Rock Hudson

Pat Boone: 'I Love Gays'

Patboone

Pat Boone defends the column he wrote last week in WingNutDaily comparing Prop 8 protestors to the terrorists in Mumbai, saying he loves gays, and has the stories to prove it.

****COLUMN EXCERPT***

Boone"I need to say right here, honestly and unashamedly – I love gays. I always have, always will. I have proved it, over and over. I met my first homosexual friend while I was in high school. He was a Navy veteran who had come back to finish his schooling. He put his hand on my thigh while we were parked at a fast food drive in. I was a cow milker with a vise-like grip, and after I nearly squeezed his wrist off, letting him know he had the wrong guy, he said, 'I guess you'll tell everybody, and I'll get kicked out of school.' I assured him I wouldn't, and I told nobody. I really felt empathy for him, because he obviously was not a happy man. I've been in the entertainment business for over 50 years now, and I've had many dear and close friends, guys (and some gals) I have loved who were practicing homosexuals. How could I not? We forged real friendships, never strained or awkward. We each knew the other's perspectives and respected them. Every one of them can tell you that I've never condemned or made them uncomfortable, in my home or theirs, though they knew I couldn't approve their sexual practices. So what? We were friends, and we could be honest with each other...

"Years ago, I sat by the bed of one of my closest friends as he lay dying in a VA hospital. AIDS didn't have a name yet, but that's what was killing him. His teeth had fallen out; he had no immune system left. We prayed together, and I saw him off to heaven. I loved Roger.

"Later (you may be surprised to learn), I really went out on a limb and wrote two books, about and with homosexual friends. The first was "Joy: A Homosexual's Fulfillment," and the second "Coming Out: True Stories of the Gay Exodus." They were written with a longtime lesbian, a former very promiscuous male homosexual and with a transsexual man who had emasculated himself in an effort to be a woman. They'd been down the whole road and back again, and they told me their stories and how they'd each been able to leave the homosexual lifestyle. This was not expedient for me as an entertainer, but I did it out of real love for gays. I do care.

"...I prayed with Rock Hudson and placed my hands on his bony chest, anointing him with oil, right at the end of his life. He couldn't speak because of the lesions in his throat, but the grateful glow in his eyes told me all I needed to know. There was love between us – and I saw him off to heaven, too. I know I'll see him there again.Me, homophobic? Ridiculous. I love my homosexual friends, but I detest these irresponsible street tactics that can and do lead to violence."

***END***

Previously
Pat Boone Compares Prop 8 Demonstrators to Mumbai Terrorists [tr]
Pat Boone Helms Homophobic Robo-calls in Kentucky Governor Race [tr]

Comments

1. The most disturbing part of all this is
    ""...I prayed with Rock Hudson and placed my hands on his bony chest, anointing him with oil, right at the end of his life. He couldn't speak because of the lesions in his throat, but the grateful glow in his eyes told me all I needed to know. There was love between us – and I saw him off to heaven, too."

OMG - PAT BOONE KILLED ROCK HUDSON!

These holier-than-though Christians are soooo delusional: "He couldn't speak because of the lesions in his throat, but the grateful glow in his eyes told me all I needed to know. " Yes Pat, because it's ALL about what YOU needed to know.

I think Rock may well have been glaring daggers, thinking "Fuck off and die yourself you holy rolling FUCK!" Honestly, Pat Boone's memory would be hilarious if it weren't tragic.

Posted by: Strepsi | Dec 15, 2008 11:13:36 AM

2. "I prayed with Rock Hudson and placed my hands on his bony chest, anointing him with oil, right at the end of his life. He couldn't speak because of the lesions in his throat, but the grateful glow in his eyes told me all I needed to know."

Apparently not. That grateful glow was saying "Get your fucking hands off me!"

Posted by: David D. | Dec 15, 2008 11:14:37 AM

3. I think I'm going to be sick. His "tolerance" is embarrassing and I'll be glad when the younger generation takes over for these fools like Boone.

Posted by: James | Dec 15, 2008 11:14:59 AM

4. Strepsi and I glow gratefully over the exact same things :)

Posted by: David D. | Dec 15, 2008 11:15:41 AM

5. What you mistook for a "grateful glow" was more likely a seething hatred you idiotic pathetic old untalented bigot.

Posted by: rudy | Dec 15, 2008 11:17:45 AM

6. Pat, darling, to paraphrase Shakespeare, "me thinks thou dost project too much."

Posted by: Fanny Pat | Dec 15, 2008 11:22:03 AM

7. I love the quaint term "practicing homosexual". I've been practicing and practicing trying to get it right! Pat, you are an idjit.

Posted by: Will | Dec 15, 2008 11:27:00 AM

8. Ikcy on so many levels, he stole his "music" and now lies that he is a friend of the gays?? Icky, no talent liar.

Posted by: Sebastian | Dec 15, 2008 11:28:52 AM

9. Note to self: Ask lawyer to update my advance health care directive with a "Keep that crazy-fuck Pat Boone away from me" clause.

Posted by: crispy | Dec 15, 2008 11:33:04 AM

10. which century is this asshole living in? poor, poor delusional bastard.

Posted by: nic | Dec 15, 2008 11:35:55 AM

11. I don't know what to say. I find this letter even more offensive than the original statement. I'd really love to meet one of Pat's practicing homosexual friends that has all this respect for his views.

His words flow like vomit.

Posted by: BusyTimmy | Dec 15, 2008 11:36:18 AM

12. That was the most condensending insipid tripe that I have ever read.

Posted by: davefromtampa | Dec 15, 2008 11:36:46 AM

13. "I love the gays! If only they would stop being gay, that's totally not cool"

Posted by: John | Dec 15, 2008 11:38:31 AM

14. If God exists why did he give us Streisand, Garland, Midler, Madonna and Cher and dump no-talents like Pat Boone on his own followers?

Posted by: Paul | Dec 15, 2008 11:42:33 AM

15. Pat sounds like the classic closet case.

Posted by: jeffg166 | Dec 15, 2008 11:43:25 AM

16. Gag

Posted by: Tom Clark | Dec 15, 2008 11:47:11 AM

17. Third paragraph completely nullifies the rest. Despicable.

Posted by: DCN | Dec 15, 2008 11:49:51 AM

18. The Gay Exodus. Has there been one? I see the same old faces over and over again in my neighbourhood, and more new faces every day.

Posted by: David D. | Dec 15, 2008 11:55:49 AM

19. Pat Boone is just another self loathing closet case that never came out of the closet and resents those that do and did.
    What a pathetic excuse for a human life.

Posted by: SFshawn | Dec 15, 2008 12:05:56 PM

20. Some of my best friends are practicing straights and I manage to not vomit when they do disgusting things like have babies and get married.

Posted by: homer | Dec 15, 2008 12:14:04 PM

21. You got it SFSHAWN! Normal ordinary everyday heterosexuals don't go around obsessing about gays and lesbians. They just don't. Every single alleged heterosexual who has has been proven to be a closet case. Patricia is no exception.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Dec 15, 2008 12:31:42 PM

22. Pat, better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Posted by: Marc | Dec 15, 2008 12:57:48 PM

23. The books he co-wrote were with EX-GAYS not gays.

Tell him that doesn't count as "loving gays."

Posted by: JeffNYC | Dec 15, 2008 1:04:45 PM

24. For a guy with an IQ of 30, he sure writes complete sentences!

Posted by: anon | Dec 15, 2008 1:37:10 PM

25. Can a bunch of gays visit him on his deathbed and try and get him to recant his sinful ways? What a tool.

Posted by: John | Dec 15, 2008 1:51:39 PM