News | Pat Boone | Proposition 8 | Rock Hudson

Pat Boone: 'I Love Gays'

Patboone

Pat Boone defends the column he wrote last week in WingNutDaily comparing Prop 8 protestors to the terrorists in Mumbai, saying he loves gays, and has the stories to prove it.

****COLUMN EXCERPT***

Boone"I need to say right here, honestly and unashamedly – I love gays. I always have, always will. I have proved it, over and over. I met my first homosexual friend while I was in high school. He was a Navy veteran who had come back to finish his schooling. He put his hand on my thigh while we were parked at a fast food drive in. I was a cow milker with a vise-like grip, and after I nearly squeezed his wrist off, letting him know he had the wrong guy, he said, 'I guess you'll tell everybody, and I'll get kicked out of school.' I assured him I wouldn't, and I told nobody. I really felt empathy for him, because he obviously was not a happy man. I've been in the entertainment business for over 50 years now, and I've had many dear and close friends, guys (and some gals) I have loved who were practicing homosexuals. How could I not? We forged real friendships, never strained or awkward. We each knew the other's perspectives and respected them. Every one of them can tell you that I've never condemned or made them uncomfortable, in my home or theirs, though they knew I couldn't approve their sexual practices. So what? We were friends, and we could be honest with each other...

"Years ago, I sat by the bed of one of my closest friends as he lay dying in a VA hospital. AIDS didn't have a name yet, but that's what was killing him. His teeth had fallen out; he had no immune system left. We prayed together, and I saw him off to heaven. I loved Roger.

"Later (you may be surprised to learn), I really went out on a limb and wrote two books, about and with homosexual friends. The first was "Joy: A Homosexual's Fulfillment," and the second "Coming Out: True Stories of the Gay Exodus." They were written with a longtime lesbian, a former very promiscuous male homosexual and with a transsexual man who had emasculated himself in an effort to be a woman. They'd been down the whole road and back again, and they told me their stories and how they'd each been able to leave the homosexual lifestyle. This was not expedient for me as an entertainer, but I did it out of real love for gays. I do care.

"...I prayed with Rock Hudson and placed my hands on his bony chest, anointing him with oil, right at the end of his life. He couldn't speak because of the lesions in his throat, but the grateful glow in his eyes told me all I needed to know. There was love between us – and I saw him off to heaven, too. I know I'll see him there again.Me, homophobic? Ridiculous. I love my homosexual friends, but I detest these irresponsible street tactics that can and do lead to violence."

***END***

Previously
Pat Boone Compares Prop 8 Demonstrators to Mumbai Terrorists [tr]
Pat Boone Helms Homophobic Robo-calls in Kentucky Governor Race [tr]

Comments

1. I'm practicing ! But I don't need this fuck-pot to tell me to repent on my death bed ! What an unreconstructed homophobic shithead.

Posted by: Hephaistion | Dec 15, 2008 2:06:05 PM

2. Jeez guys! Give him a freakin' break! What a bunch of holier than thou twats you bunch are!

He tried in his old guy way to say something nice and you bitches are so wrapped up in yourselves that you can't at least cut him a little slack!

The level of hate and vitriol about this makes me just as sick of you as I am of the other side with all of their absolutes. How many of your grandmothers don't think you "chose your lifestyle, practice homosexuality , could change if you wanted to"?

Let's go over to your Grammys house and kick her fucking homophobic ass even though she "loves your self righteous asses and means no harm to the gays but doesn't think HER god would agree with you 'lifestyle'"?

What a bunch of tools we are becoming.

Posted by: Derek Washington | Dec 15, 2008 3:35:54 PM

3. Well, Pat, you may "love" us, but we don't love you.

But, Derek, my Grammy (who went by Nanny) wasn't shilling for Exodus and comparing me to a terrorist. Nanny said, "I think he likes the fellas" and moved on. Pat clearly hasn't. He's both delusional and ignorant. He doesn't deserve a break, freakin' or otherwise.

Posted by: Ernie | Dec 15, 2008 4:37:20 PM

4. Basically, after all the garbage that he spewed, his point is, he loves the gays but please but please stop "practicing" your gay lifestyle.

Here is a link of the walnut showing his us nuts.

Posted by: donsnyc | Dec 15, 2008 5:18:04 PM

5. I don't have to condone the absolutley condescending "some of my best friends are gay, and I pray for them because I hate their sin." song and dance, and I certianly don't think everyone ought to buy said argument. I refuse to allow the "he's old fashioned", when it comes to racism, homophobia or sexism to stand as a rational defense of people who are unwilling to treat people with the respect they deserve. Being older is no exsuse for being "accidentally" intolerant and does a great disservice to those out there advocating change to be couched as such.

Posted by: g_whiz | Dec 15, 2008 5:29:16 PM

6. One more thing: I'm beginning to see a pattern here. People post to the wide array of articles and topics at Towlerload, someone disagrees with the general tenor of the "group", and suddenly this webiste is (a negative) representitive of all gay people everywhere. Its like suggesting that BET speaks for all "the Blacks". Any community has a great deal more diversity within it than this misconception allows for. And in reality not the best way to win an argument.

Posted by: g_whiz | Dec 15, 2008 5:35:18 PM

7. Pat Boone can go fuck himself sideways with a telephone pole.

Posted by: Sean | Dec 15, 2008 6:01:00 PM

8. Sorry Derek - no free passes for Boone. No get out of jail free cards. He doesn't get to pass Go and he doesn't get to collect two hundred. His comments are condescending and offensive.

Posted by: Tom Clark | Dec 15, 2008 6:10:05 PM

9. PAT BOONE I LOVE YOU TO:::
    I REFUSE TO BE SECOND CLASS CITIZEN FOR YOU TO LOVE ME..
    IF YOU LOVE ME FOR BEING HOMOSEXUAL THEN LOVE ME AS AN EQUAL.
    I WANT TO ENJOY LIFE TO THE FULLEST LIKE YOU.

Posted by: Duane Harrison | Dec 15, 2008 6:30:11 PM

10. Well, Patty Boone, except for you, I generally love the straights, so we're even.

Posted by: Grego | Dec 16, 2008 11:22:33 AM

11. Old and has been Liar!!

Posted by: Roseanne | Dec 16, 2008 12:02:38 PM

12. G_WHIZ,

Good points. I respect them both.

Posted by: Derek Washington | Dec 16, 2008 12:13:43 PM