Barack Obama | Inauguration | News | Rick Warren

BigGayDeal.com

Rick Warren on Why He's Not Homophobic

Warrenclip

After dismissively laughing at Curry's question, Warren explains: "When the protestors came we served them water and donuts."

And some of his best friends are gay...

Watch the preview of Dateline NBC's interview with Rick Warren to air tomorrow night,
AFTER THE JUMP...

I put this clip in our TowleroadTV widget on the right side of the site where you can find all the clips relevant to the Rick Warren inauguration invitation.

Comments

1. Can I trade all of my rights for donuts? I would definitely trade my right to bear arms for a bear claw, yum.

Posted by: Xander | Dec 18, 2008 5:18:28 PM

2. wow. What a tool. Water and donuts - Thanks!!!! Totally makes up for what you've done to us! BFF's, k??

Posted by: KFLO | Dec 18, 2008 5:22:11 PM

3. lol@xander

Posted by: Eric | Dec 18, 2008 5:25:06 PM

4. Fuck this clown. Obama should toss this chump but won't. After they get our votes, they shit on us the first second they get.

I wish we could get phony baloney religion out of or lives once and for all. It's fucking with my rights as a citizen.

Posted by: Kobe1 | Dec 18, 2008 5:26:11 PM

5. OMG! Fuck this dumb cunt! What is with the media and asshats like this cunt who keep equating AIDS/HIV as a gay disease. Warren is involved with the disease because it's global. It's not a gay community issue alone.

Posted by: Mike | Dec 18, 2008 5:28:56 PM

6. Guess what? For 5,000 years every major religion and major culture said women should be subservient and ruled over by men. And, in fact, they were.

By Warren's standard, giving women the right to vote never should have happened. Who are we to challenge millenia of religious and cultural teachings shared by the overwhelming majority of humanity?

I'm amazed that we keep banging our heads against the wall and comparing gay rights issues to race issues, when by far the clearest parallel is to women's rights.

Posted by: Yeek | Dec 18, 2008 5:36:06 PM

7. For 5,000 years, marriage has been defined in a variety of ways, including polygamy (Mormons and Muslims), men being able to initiate divorces but not women, and a woman's property becoming the man's. These "tradition" arguments work only selectively; if tradition guides us, why don't evangelicals pass laws outlawing divorce, adultery and pre-marital sex?

Posted by: Jeff Atwood | Dec 18, 2008 5:36:20 PM

8. I waant gay marriage uber alles. I voted for da one. The rest of my principles? Tchrow in da toilet. Whaaat!I have been threwn under da bus by da Chicagoland tugs? Ouch. Ouch. Ouch. Who dat tole me so?

Posted by: Vu Ugulu | Dec 18, 2008 5:41:35 PM

9. Warren consistently links gay people to the deepest taboos in society: incest, beastility and pedophilia. He's the worst kind of homophobe.

Posted by: FASTLAD | Dec 18, 2008 5:49:15 PM

10. It's not just the Mormons (a form of Christianity) and the Muslims who didn't practice one-man-one-woman marriage.

He forgot countless indigenous populations that practiced polygamy and polyandry. He forgot most of the cultures the Old Testament rails against. He forgot the Medieval Christian Church.

He somehow managed to forget that a number of Native American tribes identified a Third Sex, which permitted a biological male - identified at puberty - to marry another biological male.

He also forgot about a rural Chinese community that doesn't practice marriage, and continued this practice well into the 20th century, and even now only superficially weds.

He's spreading misinformation and by not correcting him when he makes these blatantly false claims, the media is complicit in perpetuating and spreading his lies.

Posted by: Dave | Dec 18, 2008 5:51:31 PM

11. I love how Ann Curry cocks her head to the side and looks at him as if to say, "You're a crazy ass be-otch!"

I seriously love her. She can't her thoughts very well. They're right there on her face.

Posted by: damien | Dec 18, 2008 6:06:44 PM

12. Im an athiest who thinks Warren is a dick, but i'm really having trouble getting worked up over this.

Obama is doing exactly what he campaigned on...bringing people of differing viewpoints together. If that isn't what you wanted, you shouldn't have voted for him.

Posted by: henry | Dec 18, 2008 6:08:43 PM

13. Before we sing too many of Ann Curry's praises, Media Matters catches her shilling for Warren and spreading his lies for him:

Posted by: MAJeff | Dec 18, 2008 6:16:58 PM

14. "...we served them water and donuts..."

Oh, I can see the protesters at the Inaugural Parade now - "serving" Rick Warren donuts.

Posted by: Rick in Ohio | Dec 18, 2008 6:18:00 PM

15. Hey that's a great idea. Bush got shoes. Warren gets donuts!

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Dec 18, 2008 6:26:55 PM

16. Funny he's on Dateline this week, or is it...is he in the midst of a publicity tour that now includes the inauguration?

Posted by: Vincent | Dec 18, 2008 6:30:47 PM

17. Mr. Warren may not be homophobic - he doesn't seem to have an irrational hatred of gay people, but he certainly is a bigot in that he demands that his views be taken as law even though they are detrimantal to some of his best friends.

Posted by: ladislao | Dec 18, 2008 6:31:54 PM

18. What an idiot. I'm sooo tired of this, "I have friends that are Ni.... er 'colored' people so I'm not prejudiced I just attend the Klan meetings for the uniform" bs.

Maybe he does have gay friends. The big question is why in hell they are friends with him! What are they, masochist Log Cabin Republicans that don't get enough bad treatment in the party, so they go to a wing nut church too?

Give me a break on this "I'm not prejudiced, I just hate gays" idiocy.

Posted by: craig | Dec 18, 2008 6:32:41 PM

19. WOW! Obama stabs us in the back.... Fuck Warren and his bullshit. Anyone who gives this asshole the time of day is just as idiotic as he is.

"Gay marriage is a moral issue..." Fuck you Warren. If your morals say don't marry someone of the same sex then don't period. But the moment you support legislation that intervenes in my life it's not just a moral issue.

I tell you, anyone who takes this bullshit and doesn't write/email/call Obama's inauguration reps deserves the outcome - another national stage handed over to the religious nutjobs that rule politics in this country.

.... I am so let down by Obama...

Posted by: thompsny | Dec 18, 2008 7:14:09 PM

20. As previously stated, you really think water and donuts makes up for stripping us of our rights in some way? Dear, I can afford a trip to Krispy Kreme (Financially that is) and to spend $3 or whatever it costs for a donut and bottle of water, stripping someone of their legal rights isn't even in the same ball park and it is incredibly insulting that you would even mention them together. The church that I protested at offered us donuts and water too, none of us accepted them. You don't get to preach hate and think that donuts and water somehow make up for it.

Statements like that really make me wonder if they really just don't get it or they are just smug assholes. I'm thinking both.

Posted by: John M | Dec 18, 2008 7:20:26 PM

21. i'm sorry but i just want to cry. i thought obama was the man for us - and now its clear that he's just another operator. i understand the 'people from all sides' argument, but this guy is beyond the pale - and obama's endorsement of him and his values puts obama in a category very different from 'hero' in my book. I was going to go to DC (from NY) to celebrate, but i don't think I will be going after all - sure, obama's better than the other dinosaurs, but he may just be sharper.

first prop 8 - then this. what's next - being shackled and burned on pyres to prove that we're really faggots?

Posted by: echovic | Dec 18, 2008 7:22:54 PM

22. Oh, and fat ass, lay off the fucking donuts, God wanted you to have a neck and gluttony is a sin too. It's funny how you like to ignore your own sins will condemning what you think are ours. Actually, it's not funny, it's deplorable.

Posted by: John M | Dec 18, 2008 7:26:30 PM

23. How 'bout this Obama: In 2016, the President-Elect chums up to a pastor who thinks blacks are 3/4 human and the Bible justifies slavery. Let's include that pastor in our big tent of diversity and poo-poo those black folks who protest.

We should judge Obama on his deeds, not his words. We should consider his judgment, not his promises. He flunks both tests on this one... BIG TIME.

Audacity of hope... now feels more ironic than true.

I want my money and my vote back.

Posted by: Bryan | Dec 18, 2008 7:32:59 PM

24. ,Not only is Warren a bigot he is also wrong. Historically several Native American tribes were openly accepting of same sex marriages before they were robbed of their land and their culture. It really freaked the Conquistadores and the Quakers out (still does apparently).

Posted by: Wayne | Dec 18, 2008 7:36:13 PM

25. This is all our fault. If we'd been better at outreach to hostile communities this would never have happened.

Posted by: Yeek | Dec 18, 2008 7:56:33 PM