Barack Obama | Inauguration | News | Rick Warren

Rick Warren Says Gays Use Hate Speech, Have 'Christ-O-Phobia'

Rickwarren_2

In a video recorded to his followers at Saddleback, pastor Rick Warren says the media and bloggers who "need to get a life" are lying about his past statements. In an additional segment, he says that "evil" gays (who couldn't possibly be Christian themselves?) are afraid of Christians and have Christ-o-phobia.

Watch both clips, AFTER THE JUMP...

Recently
Biden, Etheridge Talk Rick Warren as Calls to Dump Him Continue [tr]

PART ONE:

PART TWO:

Comments

1. I just re-watched the Beliefnet interview on YouTube. Starting at about 2:10,

Warren: "I'm opposed to having a brother and sister be together and calling that marriage. I'm opposed to an older guy marrying a child and calling that marriage. I'm opposed to one guy having multiple wives and calling that a marriage."

Interviewer: "Do you think those are equivalent to gays getting married?"

Warren: "Oh, I do... for 5,000 years..."

I'm no PhD, but I can't help but interpret that to mean that our marriages are equivalent to pedophilia, incest, and polygamy.

I guess I'm not supposed to believe everything I hear out of Rick Warren.

Posted by: Rick In Ohio | Dec 23, 2008 1:00:42 PM

2. This guy is more dangerous than Dobson, Pat Robertson and Fred Phelps combined.

Posted by: busytimmy | Dec 23, 2008 1:12:27 PM

3. This guy is more dangerous than Dobson, Pat Robertson and Fred Phelps combined.

Posted by: busytimmy | Dec 23, 2008 1:14:29 PM

4. I must have lying-piece-of-sh*t-aphobia.

Warren's cultivated facade isn't holding up so well under intense scrutiny.

Obama really screwed up.

Posted by: Matt | Dec 23, 2008 1:15:24 PM

5. "God has never made a person he didn't love. God has never made a person Jesus didn't die for."

God has never made a person.

Posted by: BusyTimmy | Dec 23, 2008 1:18:12 PM

6. I WANT MY DONATION TO OBAMA BACK!

Posted by: sean | Dec 23, 2008 1:26:16 PM

7. Rick Warren is a bigot and a liar.

Posted by: Bill | Dec 23, 2008 1:37:00 PM

8. of course i have a phobia of christians. they're statistically more likely to beat my head in with a baseball bat.

Posted by: Ian | Dec 23, 2008 2:09:23 PM

9. Not just homophobic -- He's BATSHIT CRAZY!

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Dec 23, 2008 2:28:08 PM

10. Um, Christophobia? That's a new one! I love how the evangiefundies conservabums turn everything around to make it look as if it is THEY who are being oppressed. Well, Mr. Rick Warren, you homophobic twit, please tell me when was the last ballot initiative that tried to institutionalize and legalize second-class--no, wait--THIRD-CLASS citizenship for evangelical christians? Please, sir, tell me! This homo ain't got NO "christophobia" but I DO have evangiefundie-phobia because you people never ever stop trying to validate, justify and codify your absolute hatred and biblical-based bigotry against gay and lesbian people. You are a menace, sir. Whether you want to accept it or not, you are in the same class of vile, hateful people that Pope Benedict is in. How would you like it if a sitting Pope declared that evangelical christians are just as dangerous to humanity as global warming? I don't think you'd like it very much, Mr. Warren. So, dude, YOU are the one who needs to get over it. Not US. You're an asshole--an ignorant, hateful, spiteful, pathetic, narrow-minded, mean-spirited, bigoted, prejudiced, egotistical, power-hungry, parasitical asshole who contributes nothing to society but leeches off those desperate and gullible enough to believe you. You are the person who reminds me of something the late John Lennon once said: "God is a concept by which we measure our pain." I think Mr. Lennon hit the nail on the head.

Posted by: mike | Dec 23, 2008 2:32:08 PM

11. I don't have Christophobia. I'm not a bit afraid of any mythical character.

Rick Warren is a tool!

Posted by: Sean | Dec 23, 2008 2:52:31 PM

12. when straight Christian kids start committing suicide because of things gay people say and believe, then ill give credence to "Christ-o-phobia".

Posted by: rickmas | Dec 23, 2008 2:52:32 PM

13. The entire movement needs a leader. We don't have one and it's going to be the reason the movement fails, if it does. There is no face to this movement. The "Face" they see is gay sex. It's the major hurdle they have to overcome. It's a movement and a classification that in most people's eyes is based on sexual intercourse and how you do it. That is a touchy subject and not a topic most people are comfortable with. This is tough to overcome. They need more focus on the love of two people. This isn't going to happen by getting up in arms about a preacher during an inauguration for a guy that doesn't believe in what we're fighting for in the first place. Stop crying and whining and DO SOMETHING. We're only making this worse on ourselves in the long run.

"[T]he job of the gay community is not to deal with extremists who would castigate us or put us on an island and drop an H-bomb on us. The fact of the matter is that there is a small percentage of people in America who understand the true nature of the homosexual community. There is another small percentage who will never understand us. Our job is not to get those people who dislike us to love us. Nor was our aim in the civil rights movement to get prejudiced white people to love us. Our aim was to try to create the kind of America, legislatively, morally, and psychologically, such that even though some whites continued to hate us, they could not openly manifest that hate. That's our job today: to control the extent to which people can publicly manifest antigay sentiment."

--Bayard Rustin; From Montgomery to Stonewall (1986)

If this guy were alive today...

Posted by: Bucky | Dec 23, 2008 2:57:41 PM

14. Also, Mike you said "You're an asshole--an ignorant, hateful, spiteful, pathetic, narrow-minded, mean-spirited, bigoted, prejudiced, egotistical, power-hungry, parasitical asshole who contributes nothing to society but leeches off those desperate and gullible enough to believe you."

This is a bit of a false statement. You don't have to approve of Warren's position on gay rights or any of what he says but the man does an incredible amount of charity work around the world in addition to leading many others to do the same. You can call him a bigot but I don't think you can say he "contributes nothing to society". You have to get things straight and get a little more level-headed before you can have a conversation rationally. How do you think any of this will get any better?

Posted by: Bucky | Dec 23, 2008 3:06:16 PM

15. You heard the man: "It's all about love!". Oh man, what a miserable blow hard. You can't legislate emotion, whether it be "the Bible tells me I have to love everybody" (!) or "I like guys".

If he doesn't mean to inflict his view on others, why did he back Prop 8? He suffers from grandiose delusions, I think. He thinks he's important, his fans think he's important. Note to Rick: you're not that important.

Posted by: Seamd73 | Dec 23, 2008 3:13:23 PM

16. How many faces does this man have?

He says one thing to the media. Something ENTIRELY different to Melissa Ethridge in a PRIVATE telephone conversation. And something ENTIRELY different again to his congregation.

If he really meant what he supposedly said to Melissa then why has he not said it in any of the defensive interviews and press releases that he has done over the last few days? Why did he not include in his "message to his flock" that some people on HIS side of this debate were being VERY hateful? Why didn't he acknowledge the extreme and very visible homophobia that is common in the Christian community? Why did he not mention the REAL hate-speech and REAL hate-crimes that are committed in the name of his religion DAILY? Why did he not acknowledge why so many in the gay community are hurt and angry with him and other Christians who work so hard to marginalize us, demonize us and deny us rights?

He didn't do ANY of these things because THAT would have been way too "Christian" and he hasn't been in the business of being Christian he's been too busy making a business out of Christianity.

Posted by: Zeke | Dec 23, 2008 3:17:19 PM

17. "I do not fear Christ. I fear Christians. They are so un-Christ like."

I saw that on a bumper sticker about an hour ago... how fitting!

Posted by: JP | Dec 23, 2008 3:36:15 PM

18. Listen to his words carefully. This guy is dangerous. First, he absolutely conflates bestiality/pedophilia with homosexuality IN THIS VERY VIDEO if you listen carefully. Second, I love when he says, "gay partnerships are typically between consenting adults." Typically??? What the fuck is THAT supposed to mean? Isn't it always? I mean, how is it a partnership if its NOT between consenting adults? Can you imagine a pastor starting a sentence with teh words, "heterosexual marriage is "usually" between consenting adults"?

Later in this video, notice how he otherizes those who attack him by deeming them "evil." Evil? Where does "evil" reasonably come into a video message of pastor to his members trying to defend himself against statements made about him? Oh, that's right, it's always a good idea to remind your flock that anyone who attack you is evil.

Oh, and if you are gay and watching the video, you should shut it off, because he is specifically addressing the "members" of his church, and gay people are expressly told that while they can attend his church, they may not become members of it.

Posted by: Patrick | Dec 23, 2008 3:37:43 PM

19. ok wow I'm a gay Christian. This man is disturbing and should be ashamed.

Posted by: KFLO | Dec 23, 2008 4:30:16 PM

20. JP, that's actually taken from a quote by Gandhi.

"I like your Christ. I don't like your Christians. They're so unlike your Christ."

Posted by: Zeke | Dec 23, 2008 4:56:53 PM

21. uhm... since christianity teaches the fear of god, doesn't that make all christians 'christophobic?'

Posted by: Chris | Dec 23, 2008 5:01:23 PM

22. I just listened to both clips. I can't find the part where he calls gays "evil" or uses the term "Christ-o-phobia at all. Can sometime please note the times?

In fact, as a liberal gay man and fervent Obama supporter, I was all prepared to be up-in-arms. However, I was surprised by how rational and logical he was.

This is not how he has been portrayed by the media.

Posted by: JC | Dec 23, 2008 6:15:14 PM

23. That's right, "pastor" Rick! I am SO 'Christ-o-phobic' that I attend my Episcopal church every single Sunday, serve on a bunch of committees, and just bought a $250k life insurance policy to leave it a legacy. Oh, how right you are. Boy, oh boy, us gays sure do hate religion - of course it might just be homophobic slobs that dare to call their soul-killing megachurches "Christian" that we have a problem with, ya think? Maybe just a little? Hmmm?

Posted by: Craig | Dec 23, 2008 7:48:37 PM

24. In all seriousness: I think that this man is, himself, gay.

Posted by: Cody | Dec 23, 2008 8:04:06 PM

25. JC, I'm not going to listen to it again to find out exactly where he said that people were "Christ-o-phobic" but he did say it in one of the clips and he did say that it was "evil" that was stirring up all the controversy.

Posted by: Zeke | Dec 23, 2008 9:28:19 PM