Barack Obama | Inauguration | News | Rick Warren

Rick Warren Says Gays Use Hate Speech, Have 'Christ-O-Phobia'

Rickwarren_2

In a video recorded to his followers at Saddleback, pastor Rick Warren says the media and bloggers who "need to get a life" are lying about his past statements. In an additional segment, he says that "evil" gays (who couldn't possibly be Christian themselves?) are afraid of Christians and have Christ-o-phobia.

Watch both clips, AFTER THE JUMP...

Recently
Biden, Etheridge Talk Rick Warren as Calls to Dump Him Continue [tr]

PART ONE:

PART TWO:

Comments

1. What Rick Warren said about Buddism is totally false. Buddism has nothing to say about any marriage. It actually has nothing to say about human affairs on this earth. What he said is just wishful thinking that all religions believe in the same things. Is this the only kind of "religious leader" Obama can find to do the invocation? Dalai Lama would be a much better choice to higlight Obama's message of inclusion. Of course that will make China hit the roof.

Posted by: simon | Dec 23, 2008 10:24:11 PM

2. Someone needs to fix his facial hair. His moustache and beard meet on one side and not the other. I could't hear what he was saying it was so distracting.

Posted by: Sara | Dec 24, 2008 12:16:36 AM

3. I'm really getting tired of hearing Melissa and her girlfriend call themselves married. They aren't. They feed the belief that gays and lesbians don't really know what marriage is and they diminish the reality that my husband and I are legally married. It's not their marriage Warren wants to see annulled.

Posted by: Keith | Dec 24, 2008 4:52:13 AM

4. Rick Warren looks & sounds like a queer. If he is one, that just makes him even more pathetic. Power does funny things to people. I hope his followers open their eyes and stop feeding the beast.

Posted by: stan | Dec 24, 2008 5:52:38 AM

5. Interesting how Rev. Warren rationalizes his beliefs versus his actions.

I encourage Rev. Warren to have a photograph of himself published sitting beside a third-world child whose skeletal body is on the brink of death because he/she does not have the same access to the food on which he so generously gorges. No caption or words would be needed to demonstrate the antithesis (one human dying from a lack of food while another human is dying from too much food) and the hypocrisy of man’s inhumanity to man.

He looks very much like the Right Reverend and Very Portly Jerry Falwell who (more than likely) died from his feeding behaviors. The Bible characterizes gluttony as a mortal sin. Even Rev. Jerry did not escape God's wrath. Thus goes Rev. Warren?

Posted by: LeeBoe | Dec 24, 2008 10:10:46 AM

6. The Bible does not sat a gay man can not sleep with a gay man. If you look at King James will he to was gay. Back in the 70s 10 Christain Drs wanted to find out if gays were born this way or what. They found out Gays are born this way. God made gays to keep down the population, if everyone was straight the US would have 30 Billion 300 Million people living here. We have 303 Million people in the US now. One day when people go to see God and he asks why they have put him down for making Gays I want to hear there anwser.
    I am Gay and I am a Christian and a retired Minister, Baptist. God loves everyone and yes that is you too.

Posted by: Wayne | Dec 24, 2008 2:19:21 PM

7. NOW WE WILL DISCOVER THE NEW BACKTRACK OBAMA

Posted by: Themistocle | Dec 26, 2008 1:06:17 AM

8. "Christophobia"? You know I thought of this of as minor issue, and it is compared to the economic and war issues Obama will have to face. If he fixes those, or makes real progress toward fixing them, then he still has my support. But Christopobia? He is saying anyone who criticizes his version of Christianity hates Christ? Or even identifies himself with Christ? He crazy.

Posted by: Puddy Katz | Dec 28, 2008 10:44:49 AM

9. I hope that for many of us who are planning to go to Obama's inauguration to bring an extra pair of old shoes if this bullshitter does show up at the inauguration. And perhaps we could practice aiming a little too before the big day. Mr. Warren, diet much?? Anita fucking Bryant ALL OVER AGAIN!!!! Rick Warren is a dirty liar, let's light his van dyke on fire? =(

Posted by: gayalltheway | Jan 2, 2009 11:40:07 AM

10. Hi Rick,

I think that gays that are "attacking you" are really not afraid of Christ. I'm almost sure of it. They are simply tired of being treated like second class citizens. By telling us that we should use another word instead of marriage to define our legal partnerships, suggests that we are not equal to heterosexuals. That we do not deserve equal status in society because of the sex of our partners. This is simply wrong and outright discrimination (I mean read the definition of discrimination).

Also I cannot tell you how many times gay relationships have been equated to pedophilia, bestiality, incest and rape. Take a look at the history of gay rights and the statements that have been made towards gays (especially from Christians). It saddens me that people like you cannot see the prejudice and hate that you promote by suggesting gays are lesser than heterosexuals. I mean look what is happening in Uganda after conservative Christians visited there protesting gay relationships. Now, they are debating whether gays should be put to death. If this is not discrimination and hatred,then I really do not know what is. It is blatant hatred, let's get real.

Rick, you really need to educate yourself learn a little about gay rights history, discrimination and maybe even some science about sexual orientation. We are not lesser! We are simply on the opposite side of the sexual orientation continuum. That is the only difference. And since society does not accept us, we have many more obstacles to face (based on discrimination and hatred). Social scientists and the medical community has known this since 1973 since homosexuality was removed from the DSM IV. It was removed because a Evelyn Hooker was able to show that the sample of homosexuals being researched was biased (gay subjects were clients already in mental health settings). It was a sample that did not generalize to represent the gay population as a whole. As more gays came out, generalizable samples for research were obtained. Research showed gays function no less and sometimes even better than heterosexuals. Therefore, homosexuality was looked at as a sexual orientation opposite heterosexuality (on a different end of a continuum). In fact, John Gottman, PHD has demonstrated that same-sex couples tend to be nicer towards one another and demonstrate less criticism and contempt between interacts of partners. He stated that heterosexuals can actually learn from same-sex relationships if they are willing.

Let's wake up society! It is time to stop the Hate and the lies. Rick Warren, as a preacher, you have a responsibility to inform your church the truth and promote equality. Isn't that what Christianity is about. Isn't it about human equality even if you do not agree. You say it is but then in the same breath say gays need to use another word in place of marriage. Rick this is hated because it puts gays in a lesser category and clearly we do not belong there. Science has shown otherwise (as in plenty of other cases regarding science and judeo-christian beliefs). We have learned from our mistakes and it is time to make things right. There needs to be a separation between church and state. Even the people who do not want religion in their lives or believe, have a right to be free from it and be treated EQUALLY (including gays and lesbians).

Let's make that happen. Only then we can have a better society.

EQUAL RIGHTS FOR ALL, EVEN IF YOU DO NOT AGREE, WE ALL DESERVE IT!

Barry

Barry Aneda, MS, NCC, LPC

Posted by: Barry | Jan 5, 2010 1:51:17 AM

11. PRASANTH KUMAR PRASANTH KUMAR wrote:>> MY WITNESS> My namw is PRASANTH KUMAR. Our negitive village is vannadurru.Mudinepalli> mandal , krishna disrtic ,> Andhra pradesh. My family membors also pastors.They were Rev.PETER ,Rev.> JERMEYA , Rev. Daniyel ,> Rev.Anil kumar.Eventhegho when i was a durty fllow & cruealmen. I have a> bad habits . because> i was not hearing to God's speech.So one day night JESUS call me. that is> in the BIBLE the book of> ACTS :-7:3 ,GET OUT OF YOUR COUYNTRY , AND FROM YOUR RELATIVES ,AND COME TO> A LAND .> THAT I WILL SHOW YOU . Whenfrom i am was walking in> the JESUS way .I pray for god any> time.Nexttime jesus says with me in the BIBLE the book of CORINTHIANS :-1:9> BY WHOM YOU WERE> CALLED IN TO THE FELLOWSHIP OF HIS SON . JESUS CHRIST OUR LORD. From that> time i will be changed my openions , my thots &my behaviour.therfore i will> be starting a new ministries in venkatapuram.OUR MINISTRIES is earned good> name in my area with in few years.next i started childran home 4 years back> with a 8 childrans.& started oldage home with a 12 lod age persons .& . 6> widos ,6 physical handicapieds .so present this ministries is develeped is> a with in few years .OK> THANKU Bro

Posted by: P.kumar | Apr 30, 2011 12:29:18 AM