Film | Harvey Milk | News

The Times of Harvey Milk - WATCH it

Milkdoc

The brilliant 1984 documentary The Times of Harvey Milk is now on Hulu. You can watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

If clip isn't appearing, follow link to HERE.

Comments

1. Until Hulu is truly an international entity and a real "web" site, and not just restricted to the United States, you should stop promoting it.

It's an insult to the vast majority of web users who don't live in the U.S.

Posted by: Protogenes | Dec 29, 2008 8:52:34 AM

2. PROTOGENES,

Sorry if you can't view the video. I feel the same way when I clicked to view a certain 90s TV series on a similar site and was informed that it's not available in the U.S. I'm not familiar with all the copy and use laws governing the display of media, nor do I know why some shows are restricted and others not. I did notice on this film's IMDB entry that it lists specific geographic certifications.

However, if there is a new gay history resource available, even if only to some Towleroad readers for now, I think Andy is performing a service to make the community aware. It doesn't look like he is promoting Hulu at all -- that just happens to be the site hosting this film.

Posted by: sparks | Dec 29, 2008 9:36:23 AM

3. Agreed, I am not blaming Andy.

I just think Hulu needs its ass kicked.

Posted by: protogenes | Dec 29, 2008 9:46:41 AM

4. In the US we are blocked from watching any video on the BBC website, so it's not just a US problem.

Can't even listen to gaydar radio from the UK for free anymore either.

Posted by: qjersey | Dec 29, 2008 10:30:39 AM

5. It's a truly beautiful documentary, guaranteed to move the hearts of any but the most die-hard haters. If you can believe it, it's an even better movie than the brilliant "Milk" just recently released. It *more* than deserved the Oscar that it won for Best Doc back in the 80's.

Watch it. Show it to your friends and family. This is where we come from, and how far we have to go.

Posted by: ADAMBLAST | Dec 29, 2008 11:18:59 AM

6. QJersery, Gaydar Radio is available, for free, if you have iTunes. (It's free o download iTunes, and all the radio options on it are free.) It's listed under Dance, and I am listening to it right now to make sure I'm correct!

Posted by: tonyg | Dec 29, 2008 12:03:43 PM

7. FWIW-

It's also available via Netflix. Netflix only ships to the US and it's territories, but for those that can get it and prefer to watch on a television rather than a computer...

Posted by: MikeinSanJose | Dec 29, 2008 12:26:45 PM

8. For those outside of the US, yes it sucks that the the movie studios' licensing doesn't allow the site to play videos internationally.

However, you can give the application called HotSpot Shield a try - for Windows and Mac. It's free. Here's a tutorial. (Note: I haven't tried this tutorial, but I have used HotSpot Shield)

Posted by: dw | Dec 29, 2008 2:25:24 PM

9. It doesn't work for me. Is it just my computer or has it been taken down?

Posted by: Anon | Dec 29, 2008 4:39:10 PM

10. ANON: it still works, and is still being featured by Hulu (and yes by Netflix too, for paying members).

If you'll click the "HERE" link in Andy's post, that should take you directly to the movie on Hulu. (You might need to register a username on Hulu.com to see some movies. It's free; they're entirely ad-sponsored, which for most of their full-length videos means commercials at about the same or less intervals than you'd see while watching TV - except on Hulu, it's usually only one 15- or 30-second spot per block.)

And no, I don't work for Hulu and I've no incentive to promote their site. I just enjoy some of their content and think their advertising is a LOT less intrusive than most other commercial entertainment.

Posted by: sparks | Dec 29, 2008 8:22:08 PM

11. You can view The Times of Harvey Milk on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=times+of+harvey+milk&search=Search

Posted by: HMF | Dec 30, 2008 12:50:18 AM