Advertising | Gay Bar | News

AFA Steps Up Calls for Pepsi Boycott

Pepsiad_2

Earlier this month, Donald Wildmon's American Family Association announced a boycott of Pepsi for its support of LGBT causes but they've recently become even hotter under the collar over an ad the company is running in the UK which features a guy in a bar who gets hit on by several women but passes them up for a hunky guy on the other side of the room.

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Why would the AMERICAN family ass. even care what's aired in the UK?

cunts

Posted by: Marco | Jan 29, 2009 12:26:04 PM

2. Love it. Who is the "hunk"?

Posted by: CJ | Jan 29, 2009 12:27:35 PM

3. Cute! I'd say good for Pepsi except that I'm sure that Pepsi Max is truly Satan's beverage sent to destroy Britain and then the world.

Posted by: wisebear | Jan 29, 2009 12:29:15 PM

4. "DON'T F*CK WITH ME, AFA! This ain't my first time at the rodeo."

Posted by: JohnInManhattan | Jan 29, 2009 12:30:27 PM

5. I liked it! I found it funny while acknowledging natural differences. Straight guys can go "huh, what?" without coming across as homophobic. Simple, sweet, and to the point. A very smart move on Pepsi's part. This might be why the AFA is so up in arms. The more effective the product the more threatened they feel. Thanks to Pepsi for taking this on. They don't have to and I appreciate it.

Posted by: Don | Jan 29, 2009 12:30:42 PM

6. Those AFA people are so cute! Like people are going to boycott Pepsi because they say so. They need to get real.

Posted by: Patrick | Jan 29, 2009 12:34:10 PM

7. Haven't we seen this before? Doesn't the punchline lose its interest when this many commercials have already done it?

Posted by: Jonathan | Jan 29, 2009 12:40:55 PM

8. I could do without the grossed-out looks his friends get when he finally settles on a guy.

Posted by: Bakeley | Jan 29, 2009 12:43:04 PM

9. If you liked the commercial, boys, you better let Pepsi hear how much you liked it because you know they're going to hear from the homophobes.

Posted by: elg | Jan 29, 2009 12:43:25 PM

10. It's cute and catchy, but honestly, I am SHOCKED that the brand police at Pepsi didn't put the kibosh on this right away. It could easily be construed that are saying: "Pepsi makes you gay."

Posted by: Rich | Jan 29, 2009 12:44:38 PM

11. My mom's church is one of those big anti-gay church's but she said that she isn't going to boycott any Pepsi products and neither is their church who is the type of church who does boycott things. They won't support any business that sells alcohol and stuff like that, but this isn't even on their radar.

Personally, I don't like Pepsi much anyway but I went out and bought a case and Mountain Dew and some Funyuns (Frito-lay is also pepsi) in honor of the ban.

Posted by: Aiden Raccoon | Jan 29, 2009 12:47:22 PM

12. Over at gayrights.change.org, we've actually started an action alert where people can send a thank you note to Pepsi for their support of the LGBT community, and organizations like PFLAG. The letter goes directly to their consumer relations division.

Here's the direct link if you want to send Pepsi a note:

Take care!
    -Michael

Posted by: Michael Jones | Jan 29, 2009 12:49:21 PM

13. Time to BUY more Pepsi! Anything the AFA boycotts, I BUY!

Posted by: DISGUSTED AMERICAN | Jan 29, 2009 12:49:24 PM

14. The AFA? I knew most of them fed Pepsi to their toddlers in their sippy cups, but I didn't think any of them drank it themselves.

Posted by: David D. | Jan 29, 2009 12:58:11 PM

15. you'll notice on the afa website, they started a boycott pepsi facebook group

there is now a 'reverse the pepsi boycott' group on facebook as well:

Posted by: remix | Jan 29, 2009 1:09:55 PM

16. Suddenly I love Pepsi a whole lot more. And I liked them already.

Posted by: lis | Jan 29, 2009 1:13:37 PM

17. I think the members of the AFA should stop squealing about what they see on TV and actually pay attention to, you know, raising their family. What kind of care is little Tiffany getting if mama is always out picketing McDonalds?

Posted by: ichabod | Jan 29, 2009 2:05:50 PM

18. Let's not forget how these so-called Christian groups said we gays were mean and intolerant when we boycotted groups that supported Prop 8? Let's point out this double standard to main stream media and everyone else.

F*'n hypocrites.

And yes: Support Pepsi. Buy its products and let the businesses know why. We can't be silent.

Posted by: Trog | Jan 29, 2009 2:09:35 PM

19. Shouldn't they call themselves the American Homophobe Association? They seem to be doing nothing to eliminate teen pregnancies and divorce, so the word "family" does not really describe their mission statement.
    Does HRC have a lawyer to investigate tax fraud??

Posted by: ty | Jan 29, 2009 2:10:12 PM

20. I'm really glad any time Wildmon is pissed off, but as for the spot...I'm kinda tired of us being the cheap punchline.

Posted by: robert | Jan 29, 2009 2:31:00 PM

21. I'm really glad any time Wildmon is pissed off, but as for the spot...I'm kinda tired of us being the cheap punchline.

Posted by: robert | Jan 29, 2009 2:32:05 PM

22. Where's the advert? Has it been removed or blocked? Can't find it anywhere. At any rate, good for Pepsi!

Posted by: Guille | Jan 29, 2009 2:58:56 PM

23. Pelosi is a scum bag bottom breeder. She makes her mother look classy, not an easy task.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Jan 29, 2009 3:05:33 PM

24. Those AFA folks are still in need of more fiber in their diet ...

Posted by: Marty | Jan 29, 2009 5:08:43 PM

25. His straight friends look more horrified/aghast than they do surprised or bewildered by their mate's choice. As the director, I would have reigned in the face that one het is making or reshot the ending with kind of a "slumping shoulders" gester (as if to say, "whatevs.")

Posted by: DrTheopolis | Jan 29, 2009 5:47:01 PM