Advertising | Gay Bar | News

AFA Steps Up Calls for Pepsi Boycott

Pepsiad_2

Earlier this month, Donald Wildmon's American Family Association announced a boycott of Pepsi for its support of LGBT causes but they've recently become even hotter under the collar over an ad the company is running in the UK which features a guy in a bar who gets hit on by several women but passes them up for a hunky guy on the other side of the room.

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. The AFA is one lonely closet case in a dingy little office in Tupelo, Mississippi.

Posted by: hephaestion | Jan 29, 2009 5:52:17 PM

2. Oh look! I'm a target market! Free at last! I'm free at last... to be jerked around by my hormones just like straight guys. Thank you, Pepsi! Thank you for validating my desperate-for-approval cocksucking buttfucking existence. I'll be sure to serve your vile, tooth-rotting fizz muck in a can at my very own gay wedding.

Posted by: Bryan | Jan 29, 2009 6:12:48 PM

3. So what the fcuk is this Wildman idiot doing moaning about what is being shown on UK television. We invented the damn box (a guy called Logie Baird from Scotland). His AFA (first "A" is for America, I believe) has already meddled in the affairs of Mars and Heinz and their ads made for UK television - and their ads were dropped because of "outrage" from a small bunch of Cabury Fruit and Nut cases in USA. Stay the fcuk out of UK, Wildman and let us have what television shows/ads we want. Anyone got the email address of the chief of Pepsi in USA? I wanna write to him/her and say how much I enjoyed the ad and will be switiching to Pepsi.

Posted by: Angry Mark | Jan 29, 2009 6:56:11 PM

4. http://img98.imageshack.us/my.php?image=thankyouop6.jpg

Check this out!! HAHAHA

Posted by: Drewboo | Jan 29, 2009 7:47:41 PM

5. http://img98.imageshack.us/my.php?image=thankyouop6.jpg

Check this out!! HAHAHA

Posted by: Drewboo | Jan 29, 2009 7:48:19 PM

6. BRYAN,

eat shit and die, mutha fucka! i think you are projecting.

Posted by: nic | Jan 30, 2009 5:45:01 AM

7. That commercial was funny

Posted by: TylerAnthony | Jan 30, 2009 10:49:11 AM

8. The AFA posted the following numbers to encourage hateful bigots to call and say they will boycott Pepsi. PLEASE call and tell them you support Pepsi and lodge support AGAINST the AFA boycott. THANKS!!!!

PLEASE CALL PEPSI TO THANK THEM FOR THEIR SUPPORT: 1-800-433-2652
    YOU CAN ALSO CALL AND THANK PEPSI SUBSIDIARIES...

FRITO LAY: 800-352-4477
    TROPICANA: 800-237-7799
    GATORADE: 800-367-6287

Posted by: fanboi | Jan 30, 2009 12:27:53 PM

9. Fcuk you Pepsi and your ad agency for this crappy commercial.

The commercial would have been great if not for the "I'm about to vomit" look on the face of the friend on the right. WTF?

Posted by: PatrickPatrick | Jan 30, 2009 4:54:17 PM

10. have to say i'm in the UK (Scotland) & have never seen that ad aired!

& i don't think it's that respectful or supportive of us gay's because it's punchline is the 'straights' reaction, not the fact the guy pulled a guy - even then the scenario's a piss-take, nerd (closet gay) pulls stereotype musclebound t-shirt wearing type gay... yawn.

it's fag hag manipulation, yet again.

Posted by: natch | Jan 30, 2009 8:11:35 PM

11. lets all go out and buy a case of Pepsi

Posted by: jeaux | Jan 30, 2009 8:16:07 PM

12. My problem with the ad is that it doesn't make any sense. If those two are supposed to be his friends, then they're already aware that he's gay, and his hitting on the hunky guy wouldn't be shocking. If he's not out to them, he's not going to come out by hitting on some guy in a bar. I guess it's possible that they're all just guys talking in a bar or something and don't really know each other that well, but that hardly seems likely with the advert being the way it is. I don't know, I'm kind of disappointed with it, though I appreciate the effort at least.

Posted by: boomtheearth | Feb 1, 2009 10:57:00 AM

13. i agree with marty. it's ambiguous whether this spot is fully behind the gay issue because of the friend's frozen expression on the right. the preceding 95% seems pretty fun and gay. and they gave the grrls and str8boys plenty of t!ts!

i think there should also be a blog collecting more subliminally gay ads by companies that want gays to feel included in the mainstream message -- there seem to be more and more each year!

Posted by: Dean | Feb 2, 2009 12:06:04 AM

14. there is now a counteroffensive to this i started, supportpepsico.com to battle boycottpepsico.com

please direct your readers there!

Posted by: alexis | Jun 4, 2009 2:29:05 AM