Barack Obama | News | Rush Limbaugh

Backed into a Corner over Limbaugh, Dick Armey Gets Sexist

Armey

Last Friday, Obama told GOP leaders that they needed to stop taking direction from conservative extremists like Rush Limbaugh: "You can’t just listen to Rush Limbaugh and get things done." It was a remark that has inspired much discussion, including this one on Hardball where former House Majority Leader Dick Armey gets backed into a corner by Salon's Joan Walsh and uses the only barb left in his arsenal:

ARMEY: I am so damn glad that you could never be my wife, cause I surely wouldn't have to listen to that prattle from you every day.

WALSH: Well...boy, that makes two of us sir. That was really an outstanding comment.

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Wow, that was awesome.

Posted by: lessthan | Jan 29, 2009 8:15:22 AM

2. Note to self. Find an interesting and amusing context to use "prattle" in conversation today. Giggle a little inside, but don't show it.

Posted by: Quint King | Jan 29, 2009 8:28:51 AM

3. Why are idiots like this still in "public service"?

His main endorsements come from the Bush brothers and his organization espouses market deregulation.

You would think he would slink of under the rock he came out from under.

Amazing...

Posted by: Tex... | Jan 29, 2009 8:30:24 AM

4. get that joker out of office. that was uncalled for.

Posted by: erik | Jan 29, 2009 8:49:21 AM

5. "[T]hat joker" is already out of elected office. Try to pay attention folks.

I say let these fools prattle on. I want them in the public arena. Give them a saop box and a bullhorn. The more they exercise their first amendment freedom, the more ridiculous they sound. Such morons make the case for the rest of us. Way to go Ms. Walsh: articulate, composed, funny, and deadly in response.

Posted by: rudy | Jan 29, 2009 9:01:51 AM

6. Also, Rush Limpnuts needs to get back on drugs. He's such a fucking idiot.

Posted by: SONNIE | Jan 29, 2009 9:03:37 AM

7. I meant Rush Limpballs, lol.

Posted by: SONNIE | Jan 29, 2009 9:08:17 AM

8. Remember, folks, Dick Armey was the one who referred to Barney Frank as Barney Fag on the floor of the US House. Armey claimed it was a slip, but I guess now everyone's starting to get a sense of this guy's true nature.

Posted by: bboy78 | Jan 29, 2009 9:33:09 AM

9. The remark BBOY78 mentions gave rise to one of Barney Frank's best witticisms: "Well, I don't think anyone has ever called my mother Mrs. Fag." As to letting people like Armey talk, I'm all for it, for the reasons Rudy points out.

Posted by: BRUCE | Jan 29, 2009 9:57:45 AM

10. The remark BBOY78 mentions gave rise to one of Barney Frank's best witticisms: "Well, I don't think anyone has ever called my mother Mrs. Fag." As to letting people like Armey talk, I'm all for it, for the reasons Rudy points out.

Posted by: BRUCE | Jan 29, 2009 9:58:01 AM

11. In fairness, Joan Walsh is a bit of an asshole, and Dick Armey is one of the few leading Republicans to state that GOP needs to stop pandering to "congenital malcontents"(his words) on the Religious Right.

Of course it's still a dick thing to say.

Posted by: Clay | Jan 29, 2009 10:34:34 AM

12. Thanks for the reminder, Bruce, I'd forgotten that response. As for whether or not Joan Walsh is an "asshole," I don't really care one way or another. The character of a person is most tested when under stress--if Walsh was being rude or condescending to Armey (which, from the full clip, did not necessarily seem to be the case), Armey still would have not been justified in any manner in using such outright sexist language. By the way, I'm not jumping on Clay but just trying to put a fine point on why this upsets me so much. As for Armey's supposed discomfort with the religious right--I don't really get any sense that he's doing anything real about that other than making some ill-considered remarks. Remember, guys, this guy became House Majority Leader due to the fundraiser and GOTV of the religious right--it's a little disengenous to claim now that he's uncomfortable with their grip on the Republican Party when he was a primary beneficiary of them. Would have been more worthwhile for him to speak out on the religious right's vise grip on the party prior to retiring, otherwise it's just sour grapes from a has-been.

Posted by: bboy8 | Jan 29, 2009 11:02:33 AM

13. Put the wedding dress away, Joan. You won't be able to marry that Dick after all.

On a side note, I saw Rush on TV lately, and it looked like he'd had "work" done, making him look even more creepy than ever, like an enormous freak baby.

Posted by: Ernie | Jan 29, 2009 11:12:29 AM

14. What happened to Rush. I do remember 15 years or so ago, yes that long ago, hearing him on the radio and I used to like him. He actually made good points and was a good political critic. Now he has an us VS them mentality and anything the fag-enabling Democrats do is immoral, evil and socialist.

Posted by: Aiden Raccoon | Jan 29, 2009 1:00:03 PM

15. I didn't see the whole interview --just this clip, but Dick Armey comes-off as a real jerk and a bully. And I have not forgotten his "slip" about Barney Frank, either, so his reputation continues to build with this clip. I agree that, if we give him enough opportunity, he will prove himself to be the jerk we all suspect he is.

I wonder, however, why he gets any exposure at all? He is retired -- from an Repugnican-controlled congress which has bankrupted the country both morally and financially, so why would ANYONE want to know what he thinks? I just wish the networks would give him the attention he deserves -- that is, IGNORE him. Why should he be on TV at all? Let him retire into the oblivion he so richly deserves.

Posted by: Alex Parrish | Jan 29, 2009 1:42:34 PM

16. sexism: the last refuge of an emasculated male. dick armey and his ilk are going to go kicking and screaming to their graves. they know that their time has passed.

i was struck by how the obamas made the bushes look old and small -- passe`, as it were -- the last hurrah of conservatism. i am not concerned by the dinosaurs. though i am a cynic at heart, i think we're on the right track now.

Posted by: nic | Jan 29, 2009 7:58:44 PM

17. Interesting comments. Actually, it seems that most people forgot he is no longer in congress. That's good, because the rest of the public probably thinks he's still there too, and is undoubtedly lumping them in with him. Tie this idiot and Limbaugh to the Republicans all we can. This is wonderful!

Posted by: Craig | Jan 30, 2009 10:01:07 AM