John McCain | Log Cabin Republicans | News | Patrick Sammon | Republican Party

Log Cabin Republicans Hard Up for Cash

This news broke on Friday but I didn't have a chance to mention it. The Log Cabin Republicans appear to be facing a major financial crunch:

Sammonp_2"The Log Cabin Republicans, hampered by lackluster 2008 fundraising, is facing financial difficulties and ended the year at least $100,000 in debt, according to Patrick Sammon, the organization’s president, who spoke to the Blade Friday. Sammon said he expects the organization to have around $100,000 in debt or 'maybe a little more,' adding that the figure is made up of consolidated debt. 'It’s not like we’re not paying the rent or not paying the phone bill or anything like that,' he said. 'We’re current on the bills that we owe, but we do have some debt that’s consolidated.' Sammon said the organization expected donations would be higher last year because of the presidential election. 'Really what we anticipated was that 2008 would be a better year fundraising-wise based on what we’ve seen in other presidential election years,' he said. 'We just didn’t see the fundraising materialize the way that we expected.' Sammon said the economic downturn in the past year 'certainly has affected' Log Cabin’s ability to raise as much as had been forecast for the year. He added that other gay organizations and non-profits are facing similar challenges in the current economy."

The LCRs endorsed McCain during the presidential campaign. Said Sammon at the time: "On the most important issue that LGBT Americans faced in the last decade—the federal marriage amendment—Sen. John McCain stood with us. Now we stand with him. Sen. McCain is an inclusive Republican who is focusing the GOP on unifying core principles that appeal to independent voters. Sen. McCain showed courage by bucking his own party’s leadership and the president—twice voting against the amendment. He gave an impassioned speech on the Senate floor, calling the amendment 'antithetical in every way to the core philosophy of Republicans.' He paid a political price for his vote...In recent years, too many Republican politicians have used divisive social issues in an effort to win elections. Sen. McCain is a different kind of Republican..."

In November, Sammon announced that he would be leaving the organization early this year.

Comments

1. Patrick Sammon is a class act and he'll be missed. We need LCR to continue and to keep pushing the party and rewarding Republicans who do the right thing. I hope wealthy gay Republicans step up to save this organization and find somebody as eloquent as Patrick to lead it.

Posted by: DCPoster | Jan 12, 2009 1:22:51 PM

2. Surely there are lots of towleroad regulars who can solve LCR's financial problems. Step up, guys! You know who you are!

Posted by: Kevinvt | Jan 12, 2009 1:28:52 PM

3. How tragic. The completely deluded and misguided red-headed step-child of the GOP is having money problems. Where will the self-haters go now?

Posted by: Iko | Jan 12, 2009 1:31:55 PM

4. So sad that all those rich white men are tight on cash. I'm sure Manhunt will come to the rescue :)

Posted by: djsauvage | Jan 12, 2009 1:32:34 PM

5. Log Cabin is a joke right now within the LGBT community. Yes we can be both gay and Republican, but we have no influence in the national party and most of our allies are basically replaced by Democratic party members eg: Chris Shays.

Its all about starting over, get into local parties, state parties, help elect allies in state legislatures. Even though the Democratic party may be the home for the majority of the LGBT community. We need competition in the marketplace of ideas, so if renegade Democratic party state senators jump ship from the equality train, we could have our own legislators across the aisle supporting us.

The goal for Log Cabin in the future is to get new allies for a new generation. And also to never endorse a presidential candidate who does not support at least ENDA and the Local law enforcement act.Its great that McCain and the RNC gave Log Cabin passes to the convention, but we want substance and not symbolism to quote Rush Limbaugh.

Posted by: Matt from California | Jan 12, 2009 1:34:01 PM

6. Maybe their lack of financial support will open there eyes a bit to see how most people think their crazy.

Posted by: willy | Jan 12, 2009 1:36:05 PM

7. Oh yeah, what a crying shame.

Maybe they should ask the Mormon church for some spare change.

Posted by: Paul R | Jan 12, 2009 1:42:04 PM

8. I still don't understand how these poor, poor dears ever get laid. Maybe that's behind their curious self-loathing.

Posted by: Christopher | Jan 12, 2009 1:49:58 PM

9. Dinosaurs eventually became extinct when they could no longer survive in the current world. Get in line, LOGGERS - you are irrelevant now.

Posted by: John Bisceglia | Jan 12, 2009 2:01:46 PM

10. Wait a minute! The LCR is 100K in debt?? As the article stated, "The LCRs endorsed McCain during the presidential campaign", solely on his "alleged" support of the Federal Marriage Act, as if he would actually do anything about it with Palin on his ticket! Get real!!, Need i say anymore?

If their own membership can't support their efforts it's offensive to even joke about Towle readers supporting them!!

Posted by: Alex in Boston | Jan 12, 2009 2:27:13 PM

11. Wait, I thought the LCR was for rich gays more interested in protecting their assets than advancing their civil liberties. If their membership can't sustain them and they're the RICH ones, how are the rest of us gonna get by?

Seriously, I do see a valuable role for the LCR, but if their membership can't sustain them, maybe it's a sign that they're increasingly out of touch with the community.

Posted by: RS | Jan 12, 2009 2:50:27 PM

12. all those wealthy repugs hard up for cash?

oh well, if the free market won't support them i suppose there's no reason for them to be around.

isn't that what republicans always say?

Posted by: alguien | Jan 12, 2009 2:51:03 PM

13. I'm sorry, we have yet ANOTHER group of free market champions asking for a bailout?

Posted by: naters | Jan 12, 2009 2:54:20 PM

14. Wow, I would think that the 30% of the gay community that voted for McCain/Palin, and, the ones who trot in here to tell us the virtues when it comes to civil rights for gays of the party would have opened their check books to stay within the GOP for a seat outside the table but in the next room to have their voices heard. Oh well, maybe they can get Mrs Palin and the GOP leadership to put out a SOS that they need some coins to stay afloat!

Posted by: Sebastian | Jan 12, 2009 3:12:03 PM

15. Let them eat logs.

Posted by: protogenes | Jan 12, 2009 3:26:47 PM

16. I hear that Sarah Palin has some old clothes she plans to get rid of, maybe she will donate them to the LCR for a fund raiser.

Posted by: Okie | Jan 12, 2009 3:34:13 PM

17. So wait. Its OK for a man to have a baby; OK for gays to vandalize a church; OK for people to hope for (let alone threaten)a plumber's death, but it is NOT OK for a gay person to be conservative, let alone republican?

Does anyone see the double standard? Our community is allegedly all about inclusiveness, tolerance, acceptance of all different views, backgrounds, etc. But not inclusive of people who don't believe in the same ideas as you? How is that even right? In today's world, I am much more concerned about keeping my job than getting married. I'm more concerned about the safety of our nation than getting married. I'm more concerned about my child having a safe community to live in than I am about getting married. That in no way makes me self-loathing. Now if we got marriage rights tomorrow would I be thrilled - OF COURSE I WOULD and I would arrange the wedding for me and my "husband" ASAP. But this is not the most pressing issue in our country today. The LCRs can actually do a lot for us (with the right leadership of course). We need to be in all areas of life, all religions, all political systems, all professions, etc. in order to let ourselves be truly heard and seen as "normal" in the eyes of the ignorant.

Lets not act just like the right-wing nut jobs and attack those that we don't agree with. We're all Americans, we can have healthy debates without name calling and death threats and without joy when an organization that represents a certain percentage of our community goes under.

Posted by: BC | Jan 12, 2009 3:41:53 PM

18. Boohoo!!

Posted by: imladris | Jan 12, 2009 3:46:21 PM

19. "We're all Americans"

I'm not, so I can safely say you're all nuts ;)

Posted by: protogenes | Jan 12, 2009 3:59:26 PM

20. I'm simply SHOCKED that the endorsement of the enlightened McCain/Palin ticket and the great strides they've made within the Republican party didn't inspire everyone to rain dollars into the LCR's coffers.

BC (I always get you confused with RB), it's not the conservatism that makes people mock gay Republicans. It's the pretense that Republicans are anything but horrendous on gay rights issues. Their justifications for supporting candidates like McCain are ludicrous. At least you sort of admit that you put a host of other issues above gay rights on your priority list. It's a good thing, because for any gay person who believes that their own basic civil rights are a top priority, then the Republican party has nothing to offer except certainty that your human dignity means absolutely nothing to the vast majority of people whose other views you endorse.

Posted by: Ernie | Jan 12, 2009 4:19:41 PM

21. Aren't there only like 2 people in that club anyway?

Posted by: Dan | Jan 12, 2009 4:24:46 PM

22. @Ernie - I want to be clear that it is at this time in our history as a country that I see other issues as a higher priority. When things calm down/stabilize a little than being married will climb up the list. Also, if a gay marriage issue came up again in my state I would be 100% behind it, no questions asked. But my basic civil rights mean absolutely nothing if this country is attacked again or if the economy completely bottoms out. At that point my only "civil right" is basic survival.

I worry about making the assumption that all Republicans are horrendous on gay rights issues. The loud-mouth ones are. I actually personally know more R's than D's and all the R's I know believe that I should be able to marry whomever I choose and that the gov't should stay out of our personal lives. THAT is the true conservative movement that has been hijacked over the past decades by nutjobs who are also hypocrites!

Because in all reality, what have the Democrats done for us? Don't Ask, Don't Tell? DOMA? Thanks guys! We have to remember that the country is still pretty evenly split between R's and D's. So we have no choice but to get some R's on our side to get what the equality we deserve. We can't do that by losing the ONLY ground we have in that party in the LCRs.

Posted by: BC | Jan 12, 2009 4:43:43 PM

23. I'm sorry, but since when is fixing the economy and our international relations stopping us from giving people equal civil rights? I hate this rationale of "wait until there's a better time." There is never going to be a better time.

Plus, I think it's possible for a well-rounded adult to be concerned about the economy, the War in Iraq, the environment AND civil rights at the same time.

I think the gay marriage issue for me goes beyond just a gay rights thing. It's the insistance of religious conservatives to shove their views into the secular/civil sphere. This is something that has been going on too long. I don't take too kindly to some right wing religious type telling me how to live my life. thanks.

Posted by: Alex | Jan 12, 2009 4:58:32 PM

24. LRC needs to vanish, so does the entire GOP.

Posted by: Harold Stassen's Ghost | Jan 12, 2009 5:53:41 PM

25. Thanks Alex. I assume part of your response was due to BC.
    I couldnt have said it better.
    When is it going to be a better time??? These things take time and don't happen over night. We need to continue our fight until it takes hold.

Posted by: cal | Jan 12, 2009 5:56:08 PM