Log Cabin Republicans Hard Up for Cash

This news broke on Friday but I didn’t have a chance to mention it. The Log Cabin Republicans appear to be facing a major financial crunch:

Sammonp_2“The Log Cabin Republicans, hampered by lackluster 2008 fundraising, is facing financial difficulties and ended the year at least $100,000 in debt, according to Patrick Sammon, the organization’s president, who spoke to the Blade Friday. Sammon said he expects the organization to have around $100,000 in debt or ‘maybe a little more,’ adding that the figure is made up of consolidated debt. ‘It’s not like we’re not paying the rent or not paying the phone bill or anything like that,’ he said. ‘We’re current on the bills that we owe, but we do have some debt that’s consolidated.’ Sammon said the organization expected donations would be higher last year because of the presidential election. ‘Really what we anticipated was that 2008 would be a better year fundraising-wise based on what we’ve seen in other presidential election years,’ he said. ‘We just didn’t see the fundraising materialize the way that we expected.’ Sammon said the economic downturn in the past year ‘certainly has affected’ Log Cabin’s ability to raise as much as had been forecast for the year. He added that other gay organizations and non-profits are facing similar challenges in the current economy.”

The LCRs endorsed McCain during the presidential campaign. Said Sammon at the time: “On the most important issue that LGBT Americans faced in the last decade—the federal marriage amendment—Sen. John McCain stood with us. Now we stand with him. Sen. McCain is an inclusive Republican who is focusing the GOP on unifying core principles that appeal to independent voters. Sen. McCain showed courage by bucking his own party’s leadership and the president—twice voting against the amendment. He gave an impassioned speech on the Senate floor, calling the amendment ‘antithetical in every way to the core philosophy of Republicans.’ He paid a political price for his vote…In recent years, too many Republican politicians have used divisive social issues in an effort to win elections. Sen. McCain is a different kind of Republican…”

In November, Sammon announced that he would be leaving the organization early this year.

Comments

1. DCPoster says

Patrick Sammon is a class act and he’ll be missed. We need LCR to continue and to keep pushing the party and rewarding Republicans who do the right thing. I hope wealthy gay Republicans step up to save this organization and find somebody as eloquent as Patrick to lead it.

2. says

Log Cabin is a joke right now within the LGBT community. Yes we can be both gay and Republican, but we have no influence in the national party and most of our allies are basically replaced by Democratic party members eg: Chris Shays.

Its all about starting over, get into local parties, state parties, help elect allies in state legislatures. Even though the Democratic party may be the home for the majority of the LGBT community. We need competition in the marketplace of ideas, so if renegade Democratic party state senators jump ship from the equality train, we could have our own legislators across the aisle supporting us.

The goal for Log Cabin in the future is to get new allies for a new generation. And also to never endorse a presidential candidate who does not support at least ENDA and the Local law enforcement act.Its great that McCain and the RNC gave Log Cabin passes to the convention, but we want substance and not symbolism to quote Rush Limbaugh.

3. Alex in Boston says

Wait a minute! The LCR is 100K in debt?? As the article stated, “The LCRs endorsed McCain during the presidential campaign”, solely on his “alleged” support of the Federal Marriage Act, as if he would actually do anything about it with Palin on his ticket! Get real!!, Need i say anymore?

If their own membership can’t support their efforts it’s offensive to even joke about Towle readers supporting them!!

4. RS says

Wait, I thought the LCR was for rich gays more interested in protecting their assets than advancing their civil liberties. If their membership can’t sustain them and they’re the RICH ones, how are the rest of us gonna get by?

Seriously, I do see a valuable role for the LCR, but if their membership can’t sustain them, maybe it’s a sign that they’re increasingly out of touch with the community.

5. alguien says

all those wealthy repugs hard up for cash?

oh well, if the free market won’t support them i suppose there’s no reason for them to be around.

isn’t that what republicans always say?

6. Sebastian says

Wow, I would think that the 30% of the gay community that voted for McCain/Palin, and, the ones who trot in here to tell us the virtues when it comes to civil rights for gays of the party would have opened their check books to stay within the GOP for a seat outside the table but in the next room to have their voices heard. Oh well, maybe they can get Mrs Palin and the GOP leadership to put out a SOS that they need some coins to stay afloat!

7. BC says

So wait. Its OK for a man to have a baby; OK for gays to vandalize a church; OK for people to hope for (let alone threaten)a plumber’s death, but it is NOT OK for a gay person to be conservative, let alone republican?

Does anyone see the double standard? Our community is allegedly all about inclusiveness, tolerance, acceptance of all different views, backgrounds, etc. But not inclusive of people who don’t believe in the same ideas as you? How is that even right? In today’s world, I am much more concerned about keeping my job than getting married. I’m more concerned about the safety of our nation than getting married. I’m more concerned about my child having a safe community to live in than I am about getting married. That in no way makes me self-loathing. Now if we got marriage rights tomorrow would I be thrilled – OF COURSE I WOULD and I would arrange the wedding for me and my “husband” ASAP. But this is not the most pressing issue in our country today. The LCRs can actually do a lot for us (with the right leadership of course). We need to be in all areas of life, all religions, all political systems, all professions, etc. in order to let ourselves be truly heard and seen as “normal” in the eyes of the ignorant.

Lets not act just like the right-wing nut jobs and attack those that we don’t agree with. We’re all Americans, we can have healthy debates without name calling and death threats and without joy when an organization that represents a certain percentage of our community goes under.

8. says

I’m simply SHOCKED that the endorsement of the enlightened McCain/Palin ticket and the great strides they’ve made within the Republican party didn’t inspire everyone to rain dollars into the LCR’s coffers.

BC (I always get you confused with RB), it’s not the conservatism that makes people mock gay Republicans. It’s the pretense that Republicans are anything but horrendous on gay rights issues. Their justifications for supporting candidates like McCain are ludicrous. At least you sort of admit that you put a host of other issues above gay rights on your priority list. It’s a good thing, because for any gay person who believes that their own basic civil rights are a top priority, then the Republican party has nothing to offer except certainty that your human dignity means absolutely nothing to the vast majority of people whose other views you endorse.

9. BC says

@Ernie – I want to be clear that it is at this time in our history as a country that I see other issues as a higher priority. When things calm down/stabilize a little than being married will climb up the list. Also, if a gay marriage issue came up again in my state I would be 100% behind it, no questions asked. But my basic civil rights mean absolutely nothing if this country is attacked again or if the economy completely bottoms out. At that point my only “civil right” is basic survival.

I worry about making the assumption that all Republicans are horrendous on gay rights issues. The loud-mouth ones are. I actually personally know more R’s than D’s and all the R’s I know believe that I should be able to marry whomever I choose and that the gov’t should stay out of our personal lives. THAT is the true conservative movement that has been hijacked over the past decades by nutjobs who are also hypocrites!

Because in all reality, what have the Democrats done for us? Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell? DOMA? Thanks guys! We have to remember that the country is still pretty evenly split between R’s and D’s. So we have no choice but to get some R’s on our side to get what the equality we deserve. We can’t do that by losing the ONLY ground we have in that party in the LCRs.

10. Alex says

I’m sorry, but since when is fixing the economy and our international relations stopping us from giving people equal civil rights? I hate this rationale of “wait until there’s a better time.” There is never going to be a better time.

Plus, I think it’s possible for a well-rounded adult to be concerned about the economy, the War in Iraq, the environment AND civil rights at the same time.

I think the gay marriage issue for me goes beyond just a gay rights thing. It’s the insistance of religious conservatives to shove their views into the secular/civil sphere. This is something that has been going on too long. I don’t take too kindly to some right wing religious type telling me how to live my life. thanks.

11. cal says

Thanks Alex. I assume part of your response was due to BC.
    I couldnt have said it better.
    When is it going to be a better time??? These things take time and don’t happen over night. We need to continue our fight until it takes hold.

12. says

A better time, give me a break! This is exactly the line we’re now hearing from people in Vermont who claim our legislature can’t work on the economy AND pass marriage equality (they can and they will).

BC, I hope you send in a hefty check! It’s gonna take a lotta dough to help the LCRs convince the party to change.

In the Ken Blackwell story I see the new Southern strategy of the Republican party: we’ll get all those conservative blacks on our side (as if).

What have the Democrats done for us? A heckuva lot more than the Republicans. Just you wait! And stop blaming DOMA and DADT on Dems — the support for both came primarily from Republicans and Conservatives.

13. FunMe says

Just like the republiCON party, the LCR ended being a bunch of un-American losers. Their party stands for division and “me, me, me” with no regard for the greater being of our great nation.

I am all for difference of opinion, but not after what the republiCONs did to our nation. How anyone can still want to be a part of “that” party (GOP), is being beyond comprehension.

14. BC says

of course no one has yet answered my original question: Does anyone see the double standard? Our community is allegedly all about inclusiveness, tolerance, acceptance of all different views, backgrounds, etc. But not inclusive of people who don’t believe in the same ideas as you? How is that even right?

AND I never once said stop fighting for marriage equality. And i never used the phrase “A better time.” Please stop putting words in my mouth. My point merely was that at this time in our history, Mr. Obama and congress need to be more concerned with saving our economy and securing our safety. Keep fighting. I will keep fighting as well. I tell anyone who will listen why we ought to be able to marry.

The thing with me is, I appreciate disagreement and debate. You just call me self-loathing. Doesn’t make sense.

15. jeffrey says

BC-
    I will not be tolerant of intolerance!
    I am open to differences of opinion but my rights are not up for debate.
    And the LCRs endorsed McCain because “Sen. McCain showed courage by bucking his own party’s leadership and the president—twice voting against the amendment. He gave an impassioned speech on the Senate floor, calling the amendment ‘antithetical in every way to the core philosophy of Republicans…”

Doesn’t anyone remember when, during his campaign for President, presumably to curry favor with the right-wing nuts, he said a federal amendment might be necessary now that same-sex marriage was threatening to spread to other states???

What a courageous and noble guy! so deserving of support from gays!

16. says

BC – At no point should one be tolerant of those that would cast you as a second class deviant unworthy of equal protection under the law. To say our community must be all-inclusive to the point where that notion is tolerated is preposterous. Where are the moderate Republicans? They hold less and less sway within the party. Every time the Republican party comes to power, they show how lousy they are at governing. This is because they fundamentally do not believe in government beyond cronyism and oligarchy. It’s always funny to me how well the GOP has sold this notion of security. It was Democratic administrations that won two world wars after all. Ineptitude does not make me feel secure.

Bush takes credit for the fact that there has not been an attack on American soil since 9/11. bin Laden stated that al Quaeda would focus on other targets and not attack the US again until they could pull off something bigger that 9/11. I don’t think you are self-loathing, but you have been sold a phony bill of goods.

17. BC says

How did McCain get thrown into this? The election is over – get the hell over it. He ain’t ever running for president again. Did I ever say I supported McCain? I am simply saying that we absolutely need to reach out to the MODERATES in the republican party in order to get what we deserve. When we make blanket statements that all Republicans hate us or are homophobic or whatever, we’re just as bad as the right wing nutjobs that say shit about us. So what if the LCRs supported McCain – they had to in order to maintain any clout with the moderates. Just how the majority of gays supported Obama, although he is anti-gay marriage as well and will not be as much of a friend to gays as we had hoped. There are more moderates than nutjobs in the party, but the media just interviews the nutjobs because the media likes to portray the Republican party as full of nutjobs, so therefore that is all we see.
    And JIMMY – so you believe in what bin Laden says? About not pulling off another attack on purpose? REALLY? So you are willing to believe a terrorist who wants our country destroyed over anyone in the US government? Talk about a phony bill of goods. No matter if you agree or disagree with the way things have gone down, the bottom line is there has not been another attack here. What makes you think bin Laden hasn’t tried? Because he’s an honest man who admits to not trying? COME ON!

18. nic says

BC,

so, if i support the neo-con naziz, i’m supporting an outgrowth of that party that may at one time in the future entertain the idea that queers ain’t all that bad? if you are supporting the nurturing of an organization (the repubs) that would prefer you in the lower ranks huffing and puffing away to help them go forward, while feeding you table scraps, then go for it. but don’t expect level-minded gays to help you.

19. ChrisM says

Sen McCain opposed the Federal marriage amendment for exactly the same reason many other politicians opposed it … because they believe (or say they believe) that banning gay marriage is a states right issue and not the job of the federal government (nice way to hide from doing your job) … he did not oppose it because he supports gay marriage because he doesn’t. Unfortunately they are incorrect, a law of this nature must be dealt with at the national level as long as we allow free movement of our residents between states. I certainly don’t support passing such a law and as long as states wish to continue their independent battles the possiblity of a federal law are greatly reduced.