Food & Drink | New York | News

NYC Baker Sells 'Drunken Negro Face' Cookies in Honor of Obama

Cookies

Via Gothamist comes news of a well-known Greenwich Village bakery, Lafayette French Pastry, that has apparently been selling "Drunk Negro Head" cookies in honor of Barack Obama.

Said the baker to a customer: "Would you like some drunken negro heads to go with your coffee? They're in honor of our new president. He's following in the same path of Abraham Lincoln; he will get his."

This report is so out there I thought it was some kind of bad, misguided lampoon, but I'm afraid it's not. Watch the MyFox report, AFTER THE JUMP...

Shame, Shame, Shame: Racist Cookies in 'Honor' of Barack Obama [myfox]

Comments

1. Andy, are you serious? Please tell me this is a very tasteless prank. This is horrendous.

Posted by: Cj | Jan 23, 2009 12:54:16 PM

2. Disgusting and offensive. This baker is pure asshat.

Posted by: Tweety | Jan 23, 2009 12:57:07 PM

3. That baker is a racist, transparent coward. I live in NYC and will not spend 1 dime in that sorry ass bakery.

Posted by: Schniffy | Jan 23, 2009 1:03:22 PM

4. Unbelievable.

Posted by: Frank L | Jan 23, 2009 1:03:35 PM

5. i think it's ted capollino who will get his.

when people stop patronizing his establishment.

Posted by: alguien | Jan 23, 2009 1:08:17 PM

6. And the south gets a bad rep for racism? I've seen more stupid things like this coming out of NYC than you'll ever see coming out of the new south.

Posted by: Matilda | Jan 23, 2009 1:09:57 PM

7. With up to 80% of Americans reporting a high approval rating for the president, I can't imagine a better way to fuck up your business. This guy must be a real Rhodes scholar.

Posted by: The Milkman | Jan 23, 2009 1:12:21 PM

8. In freakin' Greenwich Village of all places. Jesus.

Posted by: hephaestion | Jan 23, 2009 1:12:33 PM

9. Can't this Village Idiot be charged with making threats on the president's life? I hope the New York newspapers tell the actual address of this shithole of a bakery.

And what nationality is his surname?...is that Gree...no, I'm not going to be the same kind of idiot he is--not publically.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jan 23, 2009 1:26:39 PM

10. You know at the core of this is a general lack of respect for the Office of the President. I think a good hard look in the mirror by the press, certain liberals, and others would do some good. You called this stuff down on yourselves...how can you surprised when people were calling the last President a stupid hick or worse? Reap what you sow in this case.

Posted by: Las Vegas | Jan 23, 2009 1:30:23 PM

11. Thank you ALGUIEN.
    Let's stop patronizing the place. I know I, and many I have forwarded this to will stop going there.

Posted by: willy | Jan 23, 2009 1:31:47 PM

12. Obviously this idiot is just someone out to get attention. Looks like it worked. Best thing to do in a situation like this is to ignore him and pledge not visit his bakery. Trying to charge him for threats or whatever like someone suggested will just turn him into a martyr for the very small racist crowd that still exists out there.

Posted by: GayRepublican | Jan 23, 2009 1:37:58 PM

13. Las Vegas, there is a BIIIIG difference between calling someone a hick and using a racial epithet.

People criticized Bush because he was an incompetent fool. This guy is using ridiculous racial stereotypes that have nothing to do with Obama as a leader. If Obama fucks it up, I am all for people lampooning his abilities or intelligence, but those things are independent of his skin color.

Anyone can be an idiot--black, white, straight, gay, male, female. That's an equal opportunity gaffe. But calling someone out just because they are black or gay or female (oh, you know, a MINORITY) is not cool.

Posted by: Alex | Jan 23, 2009 1:37:59 PM

14. I've never been in his dump and I hope word spreads and he learns his lesson, he may have free speech, but so do we and our dollars.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Jan 23, 2009 1:39:40 PM

15. Racism hasn't been magically erased from the country simply because we have a black president--I just hope The Secret Service is REALLY on top of things regarding Obama's safety--there are a lot of angry crackpots out there.

Posted by: Stansfield4602 | Jan 23, 2009 1:41:07 PM

16. Las Vegas, I think most progressive people have a great deal of respect for the office of the president and for the value of our constitution. In the wake of the evisceration of civil liberties and constitutional protections and the demise of our global leadership over the past 8 years, is it any wonder that Bush and company endured withering criticism from the center and left?

Criticism, even mocking disdain, is fine when it is deserved. In Bush's case, it was most certainly warranted. In this case, the president is simply serving as a proxy for all people of color, and that is reprehensible.

Posted by: The Milkman | Jan 23, 2009 1:41:40 PM

17. Las Vegas, it's one thing to publicly disagree with the President, it is another to publicly make statements threatening his life. In no time have I made such statements, and as much as I may have disliked President Bush's decisions, I always came to his defense if I heard or read such statements.

How does this mean we reap what we sow? Are you seriously stating that this is ok because a few individuals may have made similar remarks about President Bush? President Obama is correct, bipartisan politics has created such a divide in America that pigeonholing people as "conservative" and "liberal" instead of "people" is keeping the states from being United.

Posted by: CJ | Jan 23, 2009 1:42:16 PM

18. I feel compelled to honesty in this situation. Those cookies look awful...really awful. However, isn't this old news?

Posted by: TANK | Jan 23, 2009 1:42:23 PM

19. Seriously?

Posted by: Sean | Jan 23, 2009 1:44:01 PM

20. Seriously?

Posted by: Sean | Jan 23, 2009 1:44:26 PM

21. Seriously?

Posted by: Sean | Jan 23, 2009 1:44:42 PM

22. Seriously?

Posted by: Sean | Jan 23, 2009 1:44:48 PM

23. Well, he has the right to make and sell them - we have the right to not shop there.

Uh, isn't there better shit Fox 5 can be chasing down? Like city corruption, police brutality . . . We're going to see more stories like this now that Bush is gone and they have nothing to report. :(

Posted by: shane | Jan 23, 2009 1:46:13 PM

24. I have been to that bakery and I do not find this surprising at all! That guy is always ranting about something. Plus most of their stuff is stale anyway.

Posted by: dan danerson | Jan 23, 2009 1:48:23 PM

25. Good idea DERRICK, here is his info:
    26 Greenwich Ave Frnt
    New York, NY 10011
    (212) 242-7580

I just tried to call and the number has been busy, wonder why.

And LAS VEGAS you never seem to amaze with your stupidity. Asshole of the year, and it's only January.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Jan 23, 2009 1:49:32 PM